Can I install a gaming and a workstation GPU at the same time?

albi42

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
To start off I am both a gamer and a 3D artist. I have built a powerful computer that can run basically any game at max settings or run Autodesk Maya 2012 for 3D modeling depending on the GPU I put in it. I have an Nvidia GTX 295 for gaming and an Nvidia Quadro 2000d for 3D work. My computer can do anything I need but I still have to switch out the cards depending on what I want to do.

Here's my question: Is it possible to install BOTH cards at the same time and have the computer switch between them depending on what I am doing? I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) motherboard which can fit up to 4 GPUs and a 1000 Watt power supply so physically speaking, my rig could contain and power both cards. I just have no idea if its possible for the computer to flip flop between them.

Can this be done or am I dreaming?

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Some of the high end mobos have a feature where you can turn off individual PCI-E lanes so this might be an option you might want to explore if you have the coin which I am sure you do if you need a two GPU one being a FirePro or Quadro.

albi42

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Unfortunately I don't have money to spare. If I did I would have bought a workstation and left my existing machine purely from gaming. Basically if I can't get this to work, I'll just survive on the Quadro for now. I need to do work more than I want to play games.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

What your budget cause from what I have read and researched some of these high end gaming class GPUs apparently do pretty dam well in a work environment were compute performance is concerned.

albi42

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I have no money for upgrades at the moment. I just bought the Quadro 2000d because it was certified by Autodesk to work with Maya 2012. It has been my experience that even if a gamer card can run Maya, it cannot run all of the features. My GTX 295 for example can run all versions of Maya up to 2011 but it cannot do things like particles or cloth simulations. Also it starts to slow down at relatively low polycounts.

Like I said, either I can make both cards work, or I will stay with the Quadro until I can afford a workstation.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Sorry my bad I half read you post but ya try it out put both cards in if you have 2x PCI-E x 16 or an x8 slot give it a go.

albi42

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Before I do this do you think there is any chance of it hurting something? The Quadro and the mobo are under warranty but the 295 isn't covered anymore. I'm sure this is safe but I'd rather not fry a $500 card.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Na it will be fine but do it on your own accord not my recommendation however I would do it if I was you.