Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mini-HDMI port question (improves image over VGA?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 8:32:19 PM

Hi guys,

I currently use a 21'' LCD monitor that can do 1600x900 resolution tops through a VGA connection only. I am considering buying a 24'' or 26'' screen that can do 1980x1024 (full HD) to be connected via HDMI. In order to test it out, I took my 26'' LCD living-room TV (Full HD ready) and brought it to my computer, only to find out that my EVGA GeForce GTX 560 card has 2 DVI and 1 mini-HDMI port, and therefore I couldn't connect the HDMI cable to the card. I am only able to connect the VGA monitor to this card because I use a DVI-VGA adapter. Therefore I connected the 26'' TV via VGA just like the old monitor. I liked its dimensions, makes BF3 more immersive :) . But something is off with its coloring. The desktop looks worse than on my 21'' screen, despite being in full HD compared to 1600x900, and me having messed with the color configurations alot.

Therefore my question is, if I obtain a mini-HDMI to HDMI connector, would it improve the image much over VGA? Does the change of connection port, keeping everything else equal, improve the image, be it color, sharpness or whatever?

Thanks.
April 12, 2012 1:12:35 AM

Bump.
m
l
April 22, 2012 12:22:17 AM

Bump.
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 12:55:18 AM

Did you buy the GTX560 card and put it in yourself? Those cards usually come with a mini hdmi to full size hdmi adaptor in the box , it's a short 6" piece that looks like a short jumper wire. The dvi to vga adaptor is a short stubby thing and the two don't look the same. If you do get the adaptor it will improve the image.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 1:09:54 AM

HDMI (or DVI for that matter) will have much improved image quality over VGA. VGA is really limited to 1280x1024 as it's maximum; beyond that the image starts to distort due to interference and bandwidth constraints.
April 22, 2012 2:03:39 AM

inzone said:
Did you buy the GTX560 card and put it in yourself? Those cards usually come with a mini hdmi to full size hdmi adaptor in the box , it's a short 6" piece that looks like a short jumper wire. The dvi to vga adaptor is a short stubby thing and the two don't look the same. If you do get the adaptor it will improve the image.

Yup, I have this adapter but I left it in my parents' home 100 miles away from where I live :)  I'll have to pick it up next time I'm there.

@sk1939 I didn't know VGA was limited to 1280, that's cool to know. Thanks.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:33:08 PM

Best answer selected by Nantes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 11:47:40 PM

Nantes said:
Yup, I have this adapter but I left it in my parents' home 100 miles away from where I live :)  I'll have to pick it up next time I'm there.

@sk1939 I didn't know VGA was limited to 1280, that's cool to know. Thanks.

To clarify it's not hard limited, rather that's the limit for a decent picture. 1680x1050 is still passable if you use good quality shielded cables, but 1920x1080 will be very fuzzy/out of focus.
m
l
September 1, 2013 12:24:03 PM

Nantes said:
Hi guys,

I currently use a 21'' LCD monitor that can do 1600x900 resolution tops through a VGA connection only. I am considering buying a 24'' or 26'' screen that can do 1980x1024 (full HD) to be connected via HDMI. In order to test it out, I took my 26'' LCD living-room TV (Full HD ready) and brought it to my computer, only to find out that my EVGA GeForce GTX 560 card has 2 DVI and 1 mini-HDMI port, and therefore I couldn't connect the HDMI cable to the card. I am only able to connect the VGA monitor to this card because I use a DVI-VGA adapter. Therefore I connected the 26'' TV via VGA just like the old monitor. I liked its dimensions, makes BF3 more immersive :) . But something is off with its coloring. The desktop looks worse than on my 21'' screen, despite being in full HD compared to 1600x900, and me having messed with the color configurations alot.

Therefore my question is, if I obtain a mini-HDMI to HDMI connector, would it improve the image much over VGA? Does the change of connection port, keeping everything else equal, improve the image, be it color, sharpness or whatever?

Thanks.

You are the third one to tell you that the HDMI Port has a faulty Intel chip Apple have confirmed this with a Firmware Update EFI 1.7 download on there site. I have Googled this and the download does not seem to work. One guy said I might has well use it has a door stop. It works OK with the Firewire Port and the Thunderbolt Port. I am using a Mac Mini 2007 because I am not buying a faulty computer. Two tech guy`s have told me to wait till Apple announces it`s updates for Christmas. The iMac has also got a faulty screen fault if you go to a website called DirtyScreens.com I wish you the best of luck to get it sorted out,but I doubt it.
m
l
!