Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hello,

So I am trying to help my brother with setting up his three monitors on his 5870. We have two DVI's and one DisplayPort -> DVI and thats the current setup.
Yet for some reason, windows will not allow all 3 to work at one. If I want monitor 1 and monitor 2 thats fine but it wont allow monitor 3 to be added and if I want it to be added I need to disable one of the other two (monitors 1 or 2).

I have a feeling it might be the display port but I am not really sure how to check this. I also went into CCC and when I want to make a group for EF, it only allows me to do a 2 monitor setup.

If you could help me with this I would be very grateful!

Thanks again,
Eli

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
What graphics card are you using? If it's a single card then it may be one that can only manage two monitors but gives you a choice of connections, ie. either (DVI + DVI) or (DVI + DP) but not (DVI + DVI + DP).

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Thats my problem! I have no idea how to check... I sorta got one from school I think lol
i know it works great to have a dual monitor setup but it seems like something is problematic when I try 3 :(

jfreggie

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
As far as ive seen passive adapters don't do some kind of encoding or conversion to the signal - where as the active adapters do. So looks like you just need to find an active adapter like i linked earlier and should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.