Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Hello all.
My downstairs neighbor was playing some Facebook game when the pc suddenly shut itself off.
I turned the on/off button off and back on and then the power button and all worked again.
Then I installed the latest amd vga card drivers through autodetect (the drivers were from 2008 and I uninstalled these first), everything went well.
Dxdiag didn't find any problems but when I decided to run 3dMark2006, about halfway through the pc shut down again. After that, I couldn't get it to work anymore.
I opened it up (the pc is from 2005/2006), changed some things like changing the memory sticks around, removing the 3d card but to no avail.
What I did notice was when I pressed the power button both the cpu and psu's fan spinned for a little, then stopped moving.

So here is my question :
should I buy a new more powerful psu and try to get it to work or just send the pc in for repair and maybe pay a lot of money?

If it's the cpu or motherboard I'm going to go for a new pc (well, advise my neighbor), it's not worth looking for 6-7 year old parts anymore imo.

What would you guys do?

Thanks for reading.
Stargate

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
is there any beep codes? check the board for swolling or leaked capacitors, che ckeck the cpu for burn marks etc if all ok try a new psu, if no then i would guess the motherboard to have gone

CDdude55

Distinguished
Have you checked the temps of the system? (CPU, GPU etc.), could be a loose heatink causing thermal shutdown. Also, what are the system specs?

I wouldn't invest more money into a system that is 6-7 years old, but on the other hand if all he does is play facebook games, you might be better off just trying to fix the issue with his current system and replace the part if possible as it would save more money.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Read the post again please, he stated he was running 3DMark when the PC shut down. So it was actually running at an "adnormal" load when it shutdown.

Never hurts to check.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

when it went off yeah maybe, but as he says it doesnt go back on now, which means its not running adnormal now, if it did go off during 3d mark due to heat, then id guess that the thermal monitor has cut it off due to the cut off point of max tempeture for that cpu. now he is booting up again the cpu would be cool and would load windows at lleast, so that why im guessing the heatsink aint the issue and i would go for the psu

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
No there's no beeping or anything, although ... I also used an older 350w psu and it made a slight click.
I'll remove the cpu's fan tomorrow and check it (and the mobo) for burn spots. I didn't see anything suspicious yet, just a lot of dust.

I didn't check any temps but the pc/vga card hardly ever goes all out, 3d games aren't being played on it. Never been overclocked either.

System is an Amd X2 5600+ with an Amd 3850 512mb card on xp32-bit + vista (2Gb ram).

If all fails, I'll check for a 600 watt psu (the older one is 550W).

If it still fails with the new psu, should I just advise her to buy a new system instead of paying maybe 200 Euros for a repair? A new system is not really the big problem, the problem would be transferring all her old data onto the new pc (also from an IDE hd).

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
seriously i build pcs and repair follow what i said with checkn the capacitors for leaks, swolling etc check cpu, take the battery out for 30 secs and hold the power button then insert the battery on the mb back in, did you try the psu again after the click

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Hi darren0000 I'll do what you said but can you really still find a NEW 6-7 year old mobo in stores? It don't know the mobo's socket but it's gotta be way outdated.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

If it's still use IDE HDD I would say 8 or 9 years old, anyway. You may have a problem finding a mobo that supports IDE, regardless.

CDdude55

Distinguished

It;s an Athlon X2 5600, hence it's an AM2 chip. Has nothing to do with Socket A.

CDdude55

Distinguished

You'll be hard pressed to find any AM2/AM2+ boards on standard e-retailer sites, you can try ebay though. But for the most part AM3/AM3+ FM1/FM2 are AMD's current standards, You can replace the board with a new board but you'll have to change almost everything else in the process.

Also AM2 chips only support a DDR2 memory controller hence it will not work in AM3 boards.(also the pin count is different).

You'd probably be better off going to ebay or just starting from scratch and recommending her a new system decently priced and suiting her needs,

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

this.

CDdude55

Distinguished

That board won't work, AM3 boards are incompatible with AM2/AM2+ chips due to a DDR3 only memory controller on AM3/AM3+ boards.