Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pc died

Tags:
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
October 6, 2012 8:09:43 PM

Hello all.
My downstairs neighbor was playing some Facebook game when the pc suddenly shut itself off.
I turned the on/off button off and back on and then the power button and all worked again.
Then I installed the latest amd vga card drivers through autodetect (the drivers were from 2008 and I uninstalled these first), everything went well.
Dxdiag didn't find any problems but when I decided to run 3dMark2006, about halfway through the pc shut down again. After that, I couldn't get it to work anymore.
I opened it up (the pc is from 2005/2006), changed some things like changing the memory sticks around, removing the 3d card but to no avail.
What I did notice was when I pressed the power button both the cpu and psu's fan spinned for a little, then stopped moving.

So here is my question :
should I buy a new more powerful psu and try to get it to work or just send the pc in for repair and maybe pay a lot of money?

If it's the cpu or motherboard I'm going to go for a new pc (well, advise my neighbor), it's not worth looking for 6-7 year old parts anymore imo.

What would you guys do?


Thanks for reading.
Stargate

More about : died

October 6, 2012 9:02:14 PM

is there any beep codes? check the board for swolling or leaked capacitors, che ckeck the cpu for burn marks etc if all ok try a new psu, if no then i would guess the motherboard to have gone
October 6, 2012 9:03:19 PM

Have you checked the temps of the system? (CPU, GPU etc.), could be a loose heatink causing thermal shutdown. Also, what are the system specs?

I wouldn't invest more money into a system that is 6-7 years old, but on the other hand if all he does is play facebook games, you might be better off just trying to fix the issue with his current system and replace the part if possible as it would save more money.









Related resources
October 6, 2012 9:08:18 PM

i dont think a loose heatsink would cause it to overheat that quickly so i very much doubt it
October 6, 2012 9:16:00 PM

darren0000 said:
i dont think a loose heatsink would cause it to overheat that quickly so i very much doubt it


Read the post again please, he stated he was running 3DMark when the PC shut down. So it was actually running at an "adnormal" load when it shutdown.

Never hurts to check.
October 6, 2012 9:20:47 PM

oh lol soz, well psu is my guess if the board caps are fine and the cpu looks good no burns etc
October 6, 2012 9:25:09 PM

CDdude55 said:
Read the post again please, he stated he was running 3DMark when the PC shut down. So it was actually running at an "adnormal" load when it shutdown.

Never hurts to check.


when it went off yeah maybe, but as he says it doesnt go back on now, which means its not running adnormal now, if it did go off during 3d mark due to heat, then id guess that the thermal monitor has cut it off due to the cut off point of max tempeture for that cpu. now he is booting up again the cpu would be cool and would load windows at lleast, so that why im guessing the heatsink aint the issue and i would go for the psu
October 6, 2012 9:26:36 PM

No there's no beeping or anything, although ... I also used an older 350w psu and it made a slight click.
I'll remove the cpu's fan tomorrow and check it (and the mobo) for burn spots. I didn't see anything suspicious yet, just a lot of dust.

I didn't check any temps but the pc/vga card hardly ever goes all out, 3d games aren't being played on it. Never been overclocked either.

System is an Amd X2 5600+ with an Amd 3850 512mb card on xp32-bit + vista (2Gb ram).

If all fails, I'll check for a 600 watt psu (the older one is 550W).

If it still fails with the new psu, should I just advise her to buy a new system instead of paying maybe 200 Euros for a repair? A new system is not really the big problem, the problem would be transferring all her old data onto the new pc (also from an IDE hd).

October 6, 2012 9:31:20 PM

seriously i build pcs and repair follow what i said with checkn the capacitors for leaks, swolling etc check cpu, take the battery out for 30 secs and hold the power button then insert the battery on the mb back in, did you try the psu again after the click
October 6, 2012 9:38:09 PM

if no post beeps, and the psu dont work then i can guarantee its you motherboard, under 35 quid for a new one so no harm done
October 6, 2012 9:44:13 PM

Hi darren0000 I'll do what you said but can you really still find a NEW 6-7 year old mobo in stores? It don't know the mobo's socket but it's gotta be way outdated.
October 6, 2012 9:45:49 PM

Oh and I tried the old psu serveral times, it clicked almost always. The regular one didn't.
October 6, 2012 9:50:43 PM

im assuming your socket a?
October 6, 2012 9:51:06 PM

so this might do. ASRock K7S41GX - motherboard - micro ATX - Socket A - SiS741GX
October 6, 2012 9:51:09 PM

Stargate said:
Hi darren0000 I'll do what you said but can you really still find a NEW 6-7 year old mobo in stores? It don't know the mobo's socket but it's gotta be way outdated.


If it's still use IDE HDD I would say 8 or 9 years old, anyway. You may have a problem finding a mobo that supports IDE, regardless.
October 6, 2012 9:52:19 PM

amd athlon x2?
October 6, 2012 9:53:50 PM

darren0000 said:
so this might do. ASRock K7S41GX - motherboard - micro ATX - Socket A - SiS741GX


It;s an Athlon X2 5600, hence it's an AM2 chip. Has nothing to do with Socket A.
October 6, 2012 9:53:55 PM

motherboard support ide and sata you just use an ide cable to and ide drive then plug in the ide connector from your psu to your hdd
October 6, 2012 9:58:26 PM

my board is new and has an ide connetor, t-bird case,asrock mb. phenom ii x4 850 denab 8mb cach so mines pritty new
October 6, 2012 9:59:32 PM

this will do Asrock N68-GS3 UCC
October 6, 2012 10:00:47 PM

under forty quid has and ide connector and will take your chip sorted
October 6, 2012 10:01:27 PM

Stargate said:
Hi darren0000 I'll do what you said but can you really still find a NEW 6-7 year old mobo in stores? It don't know the mobo's socket but it's gotta be way outdated.


You'll be hard pressed to find any AM2/AM2+ boards on standard e-retailer sites, you can try ebay though. But for the most part AM3/AM3+ FM1/FM2 are AMD's current standards, You can replace the board with a new board but you'll have to change almost everything else in the process.

Also AM2 chips only support a DDR2 memory controller hence it will not work in AM3 boards.(also the pin count is different).

You'd probably be better off going to ebay or just starting from scratch and recommending her a new system decently priced and suiting her needs,
October 6, 2012 10:02:07 PM

except it doesn't support his CPU
October 6, 2012 10:03:00 PM

CDdude55 said:
You'll be hard pressed to find any AM2/AM2+ boards on standard e-retailer sites, you can try ebay though. But for the most part AM3/AM3+ FM1/FM2 are AMD's current standards, You can replace the board with a new board but you'll have to change almost everything else in the process.

Also AM2 chips only support a DDR2 memory controller hence it will not work in AM3 boards.(also the pin count is different).

You'd probably be better off going to ebay or just starting from scratch and recommending her a new system decently priced and suiting her needs,


this.
October 6, 2012 10:04:27 PM

darren0000 said:
this will do Asrock N68-GS3 UCC


That board won't work, AM3 boards are incompatible with AM2/AM2+ chips due to a DDR3 only memory controller on AM3/AM3+ boards.
October 6, 2012 10:05:13 PM

Thanks for the mobo info but I'm not really qualified to replace this. I could ask a repair shop and ask for the price at the same time.
October 6, 2012 10:08:28 PM

you will have to change you ram only to ddr3 4 gb is cheap actually cheaper than ddr2 under 20 quid for 4gb ram drr3
October 6, 2012 10:09:38 PM

but then u could upgrade you cpu later in life to more better ones than your previous motherboard.
October 6, 2012 10:10:29 PM

the board takes the following chip Sempron 145
Athlon II X2 260
Athlon II X3 445
Athlon II X4 640
Phenom II X2 555
Phenom II X3 740
Phenom II X4 955
Phenom II X6 1055T
October 6, 2012 10:29:56 PM

darren0000 said:
the board takes the following chip Sempron 145
Athlon II X2 260
Athlon II X3 445
Athlon II X4 640
Phenom II X2 555
Phenom II X3 740
Phenom II X4 955
Phenom II X6 1055T


So he has to buy a cpu, ram and a mobo.
October 6, 2012 10:35:26 PM

its an athlon x2 he has you divvy any athlon x2 will work in it just cause it isnt stated there duhhh all athlon x2 are the same socket it will go straight in there
October 6, 2012 10:36:53 PM

it states phenom ii x4 955 but my phenom ii x4 850 will go in there any athlon x2 will go into the board same as any phenom ii x4
October 6, 2012 10:37:02 PM

Stargate said:
No there's no beeping or anything, although ... I also used an older 350w psu and it made a slight click.
I'll remove the cpu's fan tomorrow and check it (and the mobo) for burn spots. I didn't see anything suspicious yet, just a lot of dust.

I didn't check any temps but the pc/vga card hardly ever goes all out, 3d games aren't being played on it. Never been overclocked either.

System is an Amd X2 5600+ with an Amd 3850 512mb card on xp32-bit + vista (2Gb ram).

If all fails, I'll check for a 600 watt psu (the older one is 550W).

If it still fails with the new psu, should I just advise her to buy a new system instead of paying maybe 200 Euros for a repair? A new system is not really the big problem, the problem would be transferring all her old data onto the new pc (also from an IDE hd).



That is NOT an Athlon II!

What repair shop d you work in? I want to make sure no one takes there computer there for you to work on
October 6, 2012 10:37:44 PM

what have you been smoking
October 6, 2012 10:39:50 PM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA5600CZBOX
October 6, 2012 10:40:39 PM



Enabling dual core desktop computing and featuring two processor cores each operating at 2.8GHz with a 1024KB (2MB in total) L2 Cache, the Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Socket AM2 processor can perform calculations on two streams of data at the same time for greater efficiency and speed while running multiple programs and the new generation of multi-threaded software.

The new Socket AM2 from AMD is designed to enable next-generation platform innovations such as AMD Virtualization and high-performance, unbuffered DDR2 memory (supporting up to DDR2 800) to the award-winning AMD64 architecture. Other advanced features include support for 3DNow! Professional technology and SSE3 to accelerate multimedia applications and enable stellar performance when working with games, audio, video and photography software.

This adept processor is designed for people who want to stay at the forefront of technology and for those who depend on their PCs to keep them connected, informed, and entertained.
October 6, 2012 10:43:49 PM

darren0000 said:
Enabling dual core desktop computing and featuring two processor cores each operating at 2.8GHz with a 1024KB (2MB in total) L2 Cache, the Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Socket AM2 processor can perform calculations on two streams of data at the same time for greater efficiency and speed while running multiple programs and the new generation of multi-threaded software.

The new Socket AM2 from AMD is designed to enable next-generation platform innovations such as AMD Virtualization and high-performance, unbuffered DDR2 memory (supporting up to DDR2 800) to the award-winning AMD64 architecture. Other advanced features include support for 3DNow! Professional technology and SSE3 to accelerate multimedia applications and enable stellar performance when working with games, audio, video and photography software.

This adept processor is designed for people who want to stay at the forefront of technology and for those who depend on their PCs to keep them connected, informed, and entertained.


and you want him to buy a board that doesn't support his processor or ram. AM2 processors are not compatible with AM3 sockets.
October 6, 2012 10:44:56 PM

correct me if im wrong? this cpu fits that board amd 5600+ is an atlon if it aint what is it but as far as im aware that what i assume it to be therfore it will fit that board.
October 6, 2012 10:46:09 PM

omg AM3 processors have both a DDR3 and DDR2 memory controller and can work in AM3 boards as well as AM2+/AM2 (provided bios supports it). AM2 processors only have DDR2 memory controller and can't support DDR3.
October 6, 2012 10:47:50 PM

it will fit
October 6, 2012 10:49:51 PM

darren0000 said:
omg AM3 processors have both a DDR3 and DDR2 memory controller and can work in AM3 boards as well as AM2+/AM2 (provided bios supports it). AM2 processors only have DDR2 memory controller and can't support DDR3.


exactly waht I've been saying. he would have to buy a new mobo, ram and CPU. The motherboard you linked is incompatible with his cpu and ram.

his cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 6, 2012 11:06:28 PM

I'll relay the info for a new mobo ram and cpu to her but I think it's too tall an order.

Thing is her broken pc cost about 1100 Euros and if she now buys a new 600 Euro one it'll be slower ... :( 
October 6, 2012 11:10:42 PM

Stargate said:
I'll relay the info for a new mobo ram and cpu to her but I think it's too tall an order.

Thing is her broken pc cost about 1100 Euros and if she now buys a new 600 Euro one it'll be slower ... :( 


Should be able to buy a newer, faster PC for less than $500, not sure what that converts to in Euros. She won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse. She may even be able to reuse the case.
October 6, 2012 11:36:25 PM

I just checked : an allround pc with intel hd3000 graphics(!!) costs 629 Euros.
Ok maybe if you construct one yourself you might be better off but still the above example is ridiculous.
October 6, 2012 11:45:20 PM

where are you getting your prices from?
October 6, 2012 11:49:53 PM

Belgian internet shop. Prices over here are crazy ...
October 7, 2012 12:02:01 AM

Those are pretty nice pc's. Lian Li cases, quality components. A bit on the expensive side.
October 7, 2012 1:49:59 AM

Maybe but for me onboard video is a joke, no matter what the pc's use is to be.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!