Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build, need help and opinions

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2012 5:12:32 PM

Hi, I'm new at this forum and I could use some advices of the specs I'm thinking to build.

Approximate Purchase Date: anytime between this month

Budget Range: $800-$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies and browsing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speaker

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Well, I'm currently in China, so the pricing is kinda hard :C

Parts Preferences: I prefer to use Intel CPU, and Sapphire for VGA

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Transparent side case, with some lights :D 

I have some ideas regarding the build

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 or P8Z77 V-LX
VGA: Sapphire HD6870
RAM: Corsair CMZ 8G X3M2A 1600C9 (suppose a 2 x 4GB DDR3, dual channel, 1600MHz / vengeance)
PS: Corsair GS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS
DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST 24x
Casing: Therlmaltake V3 Black Edition (USB 3.0)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V400 or V6

Thanks before :) 

More about : build opinions

June 8, 2012 6:26:19 PM

Looks good to me good job! P.S. The V6 cooler is pretty good i use to have one and i had overclocked my i5-2500K to 4.6ghz it kept my temps pretty decent ;) 
June 8, 2012 6:46:08 PM

since your in China i have no idea what the prices are like but here a better build if you can afford it PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Apollo Black NP ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $997.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-08 14:45 EDT-0400)
Related resources
June 9, 2012 4:00:07 AM

bigcyco1 said:
since your in China i have no idea what the prices are like but here a better build if you can afford it PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Apollo Black NP ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $997.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-08 14:45 EDT-0400)

Wow, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I've done some cross-referencing, and I found out the the prices in China and in newegg are almost the same. And it's very hard to find a brand like NZXT or Mushkin. So, here's what I got in mind.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Gaming Series GS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS ($79.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER V6 GT ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $921.91 Estimated price in China: $890 (RMB 5700)

The question I had in mind is, will a V6 or V6GT fit in a Tt V3? Also, which decent motherboard is best with the price around $140 or $150 max.
I can't found any ASRock Z77 Extreme6, can only found Extreme4 here. Is it any good?

Thanks before :D 
June 9, 2012 5:20:34 AM

The Extreme4 is a great motherboard as well as ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 either one is a great pick as for the V6 or V6GT fit in a Tt V3 i honestly don't think so but i don't know for sure
June 9, 2012 5:34:42 AM

You did a good job...Amazon will ship to China... get all your items shipped to you from Amazon All those items listed are available at great prices through Amazon... Here is the information on shipping information areas which includes CHINA-------- http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref...

Hope this is what you need.
June 9, 2012 6:10:43 AM

so do you want me to find all the parts from Amazon
June 9, 2012 6:19:57 AM

bigcyco1 said:

I'm not sure if buying from amazon is the best choice, I've tried purchasing some item from ebay and ship them to China, and I waited for 1 month until the item arrived. And what's the approx price difference? More than $150?

By the way, I also can't find any news on the internet about a V6 fitted in a Tt V3. Those reference you gave to me will kinda boost the total price :C
June 9, 2012 6:52:38 AM

Zuchinni said:
I'm not sure if buying from amazon is the best choice, I've tried purchasing some item from ebay and ship them to China, and I waited for 1 month until the item arrived. And what's the approx price difference? More than $150?

By the way, I also can't find any news on the internet about a V6 fitted in a Tt V3. Those reference you gave to me will kinda boost the total price :C

Yes i think it would not be a good idea to have shipped from amazon :(  those are the only cases i know of that it will fit for sure i try looking on internet about a V6 fitted in a Tt V3 and wasn't able to find anything either :( 
June 9, 2012 9:48:30 AM

Or maybe are there any other options for optimal cooler? Rather than that ultra big V6?
Is a V400 a good choice?

I also had an idea in mind, about the casing ThermalTake V9 BlacX Edition?
Had a dimension of 19.30" x 8.50" x 18.90". And it cost less than the HAF 912.
June 9, 2012 10:42:18 AM

bigcyco1 said:

I just am sure that buying them all from one place and shipping them all should be easier than shopping around and trying to find who ships to China. Amazon has some clear instructions on shipping on that link. Amazon has some of the best prices and many sites are often linked to it.
All of those items are easily found on Amazon so I thought it would be easier than shopping around and checking prices and then checking shipment procedures.
This was just a suggestion and you will find out more about how they ship on that link. I call it one-stop-shop at a price that will be hard to beat.
I do wish you luck and hope you get your items quickly and in working condition.
June 9, 2012 12:27:09 PM

tapko said:
I just am sure that buying them all from one place and shipping them all should be easier than shopping around and trying to find who ships to China. Amazon has some clear instructions on shipping on that link. Amazon has some of the best prices and many sites are often linked to it.
All of those items are easily found on Amazon so I thought it would be easier than shopping around and checking prices and then checking shipment procedures.
This was just a suggestion and you will find out more about how they ship on that link. I call it one-stop-shop at a price that will be hard to beat.
I do wish you luck and hope you get your items quickly and in working condition.

I checked the price that Amazon gave, and almost all of the parts are cheaper in here. Although its a little bit hard because I have to buy them separately from different sites here. Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestion on buying them on Amazon.
June 9, 2012 4:51:24 PM

this lists the shipping rates...it is a few pages from the link I posted above ..which starts at the beginning..this takes you to the page........
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref...
They show on that page that they have Standard... expedited and priority shipping available to China. They also state that they can combine items if bought together and send together to save money.
Shipping to China is $2.99 per/lb and $4.99 per shipment (standard) 2.49 per/lb and 13.99 per shipment Expediated 5.99 per/lb and 29.99 per shipment Priority shipping.

Will a V6 fitted in a Tt V3?...it will fit but it will be a tight fit in the case and will be very loud...but YES it will fit.

The links above that I posted tell you all you need to know about the shipping with Amazon...that is why I prefer Amazon.
Any other questions you have about shipping to China are listed on these links.
Hope this helps...
Don't worry about the V6 fitting in the TT V3...good luck.

June 9, 2012 4:57:19 PM

You can speed up your shipping by paying to have it sent Priority..it takes 7 days to China..as it says on this link.

Destination Country

China Standard Shipping-- 17 to 28 days Expedited Shipping--12 to 20 days Priority Shipping --3 to 7

All your questions should be answered....
June 9, 2012 5:17:33 PM

tapko said:
this lists the shipping rates...it is a few pages from the link I posted above ..which starts at the beginning..this takes you to the page........
They show on that page that they have Standard... expedited and priority shipping available to China. They also state that they can combine items if bought together and send together to save money.
Shipping to China is $2.99 per/lb and $4.99 per shipment (standard) 2.49 per/lb and 13.99 per shipment Expediated 5.99 per/lb and 29.99 per shipment Priority shipping.

Will a V6 fitted in a Tt V3?...it will fit but it will be a tight fit in the case and will be very loud...but YES it will fit.

The links above that I posted tell you all you need to know about the shipping with Amazon...that is why I prefer Amazon.
Any other questions you have about shipping to China are listed on these links.
Hope this helps...
Don't worry about the V6 fitting in the TT V3...good luck.

Wow, thanks for the shipping info of Amazon there. I'm worried though, about the shipping cost. Because after counting the total price from Amazon and the total I got from the sellers in China, the difference is between $30-$35, and I decided to go with a Tt V9 BlacX Edition which weight 15.1lbs alone. The cost of priority shipping will hurts a lot, and the time of standard shipping takes too long.

The Tt V9 in here is unbelievably cheap, only costs for $55.

Thanks a lot anyways.
June 9, 2012 6:43:19 PM

I found out that CoolerMaster V6GT has an annoying loud sound? Any other recommendations of CPU cooler that works great but has a almost silent sound?

Also, how to change the speed fan of the CPU cooler? BIOS?
June 9, 2012 7:33:11 PM

you could slow it down in bios possibly depending on your bios...but I would not recommend that as it is in a tight space already and needs all the air you can get.
I know its not in your budget but I would try to find another cooler altogether that fits...I will look around to see if you want suggestions.
One thing to note is if your bios is watching and controlling your fan speeds to keep it from burning up..then slowing it down won't help...look for cheap alternatives....
June 10, 2012 3:39:44 AM

tapko said:
you could slow it down in bios possibly depending on your bios...but I would not recommend that as it is in a tight space already and needs all the air you can get.
I know its not in your budget but I would try to find another cooler altogether that fits...I will look around to see if you want suggestions.
One thing to note is if your bios is watching and controlling your fan speeds to keep it from burning up..then slowing it down won't help...look for cheap alternatives....

I heard a V6GT will fit fine in a Therlmaltake V9 case, and the cooling system of the case are pretty decent. But the reviews of the V6GT says that the sound it produces sounds like a hurricane in a room. Would you suggest a V6GT of a Hyper 212 EVO? or any other decent cooler that performs great but has a silent sound?
June 10, 2012 4:07:20 AM

Zuchinni said:
I heard a V6GT will fit fine in a Therlmaltake V9 case, and the cooling system of the case are pretty decent. But the reviews of the V6GT says that the sound it produces sounds like a hurricane in a room. Would you suggest a V6GT of a Hyper 212 EVO? or any other decent cooler that performs great but has a silent sound?

Personal opinion: V6GT if you care about looks, and it cools better by about 2-5 degrees depending, but, the 212+ is a VERY good deal for the quality. My buddy has one and it keeps his 2500k very cool, and it actually looks a lot cooler in person then in pictures. One thing to be cautious about though is size. Both are very big, although I believe the V6GT is a bit bigger because of the plastic covering. One more thing that you should consider is the mounting. Both are pretty complex to mount, but the V6GT is a bit more tedious. I would recommend either to anybody in need of a good cooling solution. And once again make sure you MEASURE. If price is not an option, and you have enough space, I would definitely recommend the V6GT to you.

The reviews place them about equal..the 212 being a little easier to mount....and budget wise it is better on price. I don't see that noise is a a problem that makes one better than the other...noise levels are similar. I don't see many complaints about the noise level...I see many positive reviews....
June 10, 2012 1:43:53 PM

tapko said:
Personal opinion: V6GT if you care about looks, and it cools better by about 2-5 degrees depending, but, the 212+ is a VERY good deal for the quality. My buddy has one and it keeps his 2500k very cool, and it actually looks a lot cooler in person then in pictures. One thing to be cautious about though is size. Both are very big, although I believe the V6GT is a bit bigger because of the plastic covering. One more thing that you should consider is the mounting. Both are pretty complex to mount, but the V6GT is a bit more tedious. I would recommend either to anybody in need of a good cooling solution. And once again make sure you MEASURE. If price is not an option, and you have enough space, I would definitely recommend the V6GT to you.

The reviews place them about equal..the 212 being a little easier to mount....and budget wise it is better on price. I don't see that noise is a a problem that makes one better than the other...noise levels are similar. I don't see many complaints about the noise level...I see many positive reviews....

I see your point there. I don't think I need a pretty good cooling system because I have no intention on overclocking the processor. But I heard that i5 3570K runs hotter than the 2500K, so I think maybe a V6GT will solve the problem. I also have seen some review about a V6GT fitted in a Tt V9 BlacX, and they said that it fits just fine. I'm just afraid that the sound reproduced by the V6GT will be so loud and disturbs my sleep, because I have no intention to shut the PC down when I go to sleep.

I saw a review on youtube, a V6GT produces 68db noise level.
June 10, 2012 6:07:51 PM

Leaves rustling ....................20 dBA
Dishwasher...........................54–85 dBA
CoolMaster V6GT Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 15-- 38 dBA ....From the specs
Cooler Master V6GT w/ 2 fans on high - 68dBA

Comparisons in a testing environment-----
Cooler Master V6GT w/ 1 fans on high - 65dBA
Zalman CNPS10X EXTREME on low - 58dBA
Zalman CNPS10X EXTREME on high - 66dBA
Noctua NH-D14 on high - 59dBA

I would not worry about it...from what I read this thing is awesome at cooling....these levels of dBa were are maximum load from what I saw in testing chambers...I let my computer hibernate after an hour.

I would buy the CoolMaster V6GT if I was buying one today...my computer is 10 feet away from me.
June 10, 2012 7:01:05 PM

tapko said:
Leaves rustling ....................20 dBA
Dishwasher...........................54–85 dBA
CoolMaster V6GT Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 15-- 38 dBA ....From the specs

Comparisons in a testing environment-----
Cooler Master V6GT w/ 1 fans on high - 65dBA
Zalman CNPS10X EXTREME on low - 58dBA
Zalman CNPS10X EXTREME on high - 66dBA
Noctua NH-D14 on high - 59dBA

I would not worry about it...from what I read this thing is awesome at cooling....these levels of dBa were are maximum load from what I saw in testing chambers...I let my computer hibernate after an hour.

I would buy the CoolMaster V6GT if I was buying one today...my computer is 10 feet away from me.

Okay then, I've decided to go with the V6GT. One more question from me, do I need to upgrade my power supply? I really like the Corsair GS500, but will it suffice when playing games?

And there is also a new software from ASUS in the new Z77 mobo, that allows you to overclock the processor, I'm afraid that a 500W PSU will not hold up if I did some OC on the processor with that software from ASUS.

I have no intention to crossfire or OC in any other way.
June 10, 2012 7:37:51 PM

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6... -----from that page it has everything you need to know about that board------. Quick and simple overclocking and setup sharing is facilitated by the F12 hotkey BIOS snapshot feature.

A good 750Watt PSU will more more than enough. Even a good 650 Watt PSU can run it.

But but but...I go for 800-1000w personally as I update frequently...and need many things running...like a video card that requires a 500w power supply...optimizing air flow with fan placement and custom builds..using 7 fans at the moment and won't keep me up at night.

Good luck..I think you have everything covered....you have an awesome machine.

The link above was to the P8Z68-V/GEN3 which is awesome as I prefer ASUS products. You can search ASUS's website to find stats on other MOBO..but that only tends to ad more confusion..get this board and go with it...there was not a lot of difference. I chose to go with this one as I was familiar with it..awesome!!!!
June 10, 2012 7:50:38 PM

tapko said:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6... -----from that page it has everything you need to know about that board------. Quick and simple overclocking and setup sharing is facilitated by the F12 hotkey BIOS snapshot feature.

A good 750Watt PSU will more more than enough. Even a good 650 Watt PSU can run it.

But but but...I go for 800-1000w personally as I update frequently...and need many things running...like a video card that requires a 500w power supply...optimizing air flow with fan placement and custom builds..using 7 fans at the moment and won't keep me up at night.

Good luck..I think you have everything covered....you have an awesome machine.

The link above was to the P8Z68-V/GEN3 which is awesome as I prefer ASUS products. You can search ASUS's website to find stats on other MOBO..but that only tends to ad more confusion..get this board and go with it...there was not a lot of difference. I chose to go with this one as I was familiar with it..awesome!!!!

I'm over a budget here, and if a Corsair GS500 suffice as a power supply, then I don't need to change it to a higher one. I'll probably buy those specs tomorrow and will post it here for the performance.

But still, struggling with a question over a power supply. A 750W costs quite higher than a 500 or 600 GS series. I think I won't update anything anymore for 4 years or so. So, should I go with 500W or 600W? I'm also afraid of the electricity bill if I go higher.

Best solution

June 10, 2012 8:17:46 PM

600w...unless you can find a great deal at 650w+...
You will not notice any great change in your electricity bill...if you are then turn it off at night to compensate...but the difference in your electricity will not be noticeable at all.
I would go as high as I could go now....as it can be a pain to change one out a a later date...You will be ok at what you have though....check of internet specials and you should be able to get a 650W + cheaper than what you think.....
IF you plan on OC then get at least a 600w for that card...that would be bare minimum that I would be comfortable with...But my comfort range is based only on my experience as I would find a way to get 650w+ ...but you will be ok...don't sweat it...
June 12, 2012 7:06:14 AM

tapko said:
600w...unless you can find a great deal at 650w+...
You will not notice any great change in your electricity bill...if you are then turn it off at night to compensate...but the difference in your electricity will not be noticeable at all.
I would go as high as I could go now....as it can be a pain to change one out a a later date...You will be ok at what you have though....check of internet specials and you should be able to get a 650W + cheaper than what you think.....
IF you plan on OC then get at least a 600w for that card...that would be bare minimum that I would be comfortable with...But my comfort range is based only on my experience as I would find a way to get 650w+ ...but you will be ok...don't sweat it...

My internet is out the whole day yesterday.
So, I've build a pc and the final spec were

CPU: Intel i5 3570K @4.5Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77V-LX
VGA: Sapphire HD 6870
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz
HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM
ODD: Asus 24x DVD-RW
PSU: Corsair GS600 600W
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V6
Casing: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1

The results were awesome, I overclocked the i5 to 4.5Ghz and with a V6 cooler it stays at 35C. Also, the sound of V6 is not that bad at all, unless you push it to full power, and it'll sound quite loudly. Getting a Chaser MK-1 was never an option to me, and I was surprised by its size the first time I saw it, but it's a great casing and keeps everything cool with those huge fans.

Thanks a lot for you guys who helped me making decision on building a new pc.
June 12, 2012 7:07:06 AM

Best answer selected by Zuchinni.
!