Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU+GPU?? AMD A10-5800K Trinity Question

Last response: in CPUs
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 6, 2012 11:04:28 PM

the apu gains u nothing since it wont mix with ur 460 gtx, and the cpu portion is worse than a phenom II X4 965 and FX 4100. if u got that and looking for a new cpu use the phenom ii x4 965 or i5 if u got the money
October 7, 2012 6:52:50 AM

lazyboy947 said:
the apu gains u nothing since it wont mix with ur 460 gtx, and the cpu portion is worse than a phenom II X4 965 and FX 4100. if u got that and looking for a new cpu use the phenom ii x4 965 or i5 if u got the money

i wanted to build a machine purely for gaming
i finalized on z77 i3 and 6850

i have a confusion that i should go for amd a10 or i3 3220

i will be upgrading to i7 within two years
\please help

Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 6:55:44 AM

for pure gaming id reccomend a z68 i5 over a z77 i3 or an amd quad
October 7, 2012 6:55:53 AM

You can not use an AMD and Nivida GPU together, so the APU's GPU will be disabled.

Get an i5 or wait for Piledriver if you're going to use a discrete GPU.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 7, 2012 6:57:06 AM

Actually the CPU part is quite a bit better than a FX 4100 but a bit worse than a Phenom 965 or a Core i3 3220.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 6:57:36 AM

lazyboy947 said:

The A10 is better than Phenom II x4.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 6:58:18 AM

Kamen_BG said:
Actually the CPU part is quite a bit better than a FX 4100 but a bit worse than a Phenom 965 or a Core i3 3220.

The A10-5800K beats the Phenom II x4 965 and trades blows with the Ivy i3s, although it probably averages a little above them. With the IGP disabled, an A10 has huge overclocking headroom.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 6:59:56 AM

aditya_27 said:
i wanted to build a machine purely for gaming
i finalized on z77 i3 and 6850

i have a confusion that i should go for amd a10 or i3 3220

i will be upgrading to i7 within two years
\please help

AMD A10-5800K with overclocking is the best budget gaming CPU. Nothing lower than the K edition LGA 1155 i5s or better will beat it.

Upgrading to an i7 won't impact what you do now because if you're upgrading two years from now, it won't be to the LGA 1155 socket, it'll be to the LGA 1150 socket, so getting an Intel i3 system now won't help upgrading and wouldn't come close in performance to an overclocked A10.
October 7, 2012 8:12:20 AM

luciferano said:
AMD A10-5800K with overclocking is the best budget gaming CPU. Nothing lower than the K edition LGA 1155 i5s or better will beat it.

Upgrading to an i7 won't impact what you do now because if you're upgrading two years from now, it won't be to the LGA 1155 socket, it'll be to the LGA 1150 socket, so getting an Intel i3 system now won't help upgrading and wouldn't come close in performance to an overclocked A10.

i wanted a future proof mobo for two-three years at least

for now i will be playing ac3 re6 crysis 2&3 gta iv and v nfs run cod mw3 black ops

so can u please suggest any config (mobo,cpu,grafic card,ram,case,psu only) for this ?
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:15:43 AM

aditya_27 said:
i wanted a future proof mobo for two-three years at least

for now i will be playing ac3 re6 crysis 2&3 gta iv and v nfs run cod mw3 black ops

so can u please suggest any config (mobo,cpu,grafic card,ram,case,psu only) for this ?

There is no such thing as a future-proofed motherboard except maybe one that has an AM3+ socket and you know for a fact that it will get BIOS updates for both Piledriver and Steamroller.

If you want AM3+, then you could consider this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jAe7
Just use that GTX 460 as your graphics. If you want to upgrade your graphics too, then I recommend that you get this 7850:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-ax78...

Trinity build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jAeK
Same for the graphics as above build.

I'd get the Trinity build, but if you want to use an AM3+ motherboard, then the FX build is fine too.

If you don't mind spending another $10-15, an 8GB memory kit is within the budget and might come in handy for future-proofing as much as reasonably possible.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8ga...
October 7, 2012 9:40:47 AM

hmm

thank you for info

should i wait for haswell cpu's and corresponding new mobo or should i go with i3 ,6870 and a cheap mobo for now,which will last for 1- 2 years or so till haswell comes i will have enough money to buy a haswell and a supporting mobo?

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:45:40 AM

aditya_27 said:
hmm

thank you for info

should i wait for haswell cpu's and corresponding new mobo or should i go with i3 ,6870 and a cheap mobo for now,which will last for 1- 2 years or so till haswell comes i will have enough money to buy a haswell and a supporting mobo?

Don't buy Intel unless you go for an i5 (not practical at your budget). i3s have no chance against overclocked AMD quad-core CPUs. Since Intel is changing sockets for Haswell and doing so with a socket that is not compatible with current motherboards and CPUs, there's no reason to buy a decent Intel-platform gaming system unless you go for an i5 because AMD can do better than the i3s at about the same price.

The 6870 also is considerably weaker as a gaming graphics card than the 7850 and is much weaker in an OC versus OC comparison.
October 7, 2012 10:29:47 AM

luciferano said:
Don't buy Intel unless you go for an i5 (not practical at your budget). i3s have no chance against overclocked AMD quad-core CPUs. Since Intel is changing sockets for Haswell and doing so with a socket that is not compatible with current motherboards and CPUs, there's no reason to buy a decent Intel-platform gaming system unless you go for an i5 because AMD can do better than the i3s at about the same price.

The 6870 also is considerably weaker as a gaming graphics card than the 7850 and is much weaker in an OC versus OC comparison.

will haswell be really a worth?
will the games in next 2-3 years dwmand haswell?
and is it CPU+GPU?
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 10:44:50 AM

aditya_27 said:
will haswell be really a worth?
will the games in next 2-3 years dwmand haswell?
and is it CPU+GPU?

I don't know if Haswell will be worth the prices that Intel asks for it or not.

It's unlikely that there will be more than maybe a single game that a current good CPU couldn't run. They might not run them perfectly, but they should run at least excellently. Demanding Haswell seems very unlikely.

Haswell has an IGP, but I doubt that it will actually anywhere near powerful enough to matter for you. Not even the might A10's integrated GPU is enough to really topple the older top entry level cards such as the Ati Radeon 5670 and the AMD Radeon 6670, although it did catch up with them, more or less.
!