Try Again. Which Wide Angle for XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 22, 2005 1:59:12 AM

Hi all,

I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma Zoom Super
Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Auto focus (NIB). The second is a
Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Auto focus
(About 4 months old). He has offered them to me at the same price. Which is
the best lens? Is $425 a fair price for these?

I know that I originally asked about the Sigma 12-24mm but that was a
mistake. Sorry for that.

--

Master Chef Richard Campbell

100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

More about : wide angle

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:14:50 PM

If you care about weight and size, both lenses are sized about the
same, but the Tokina weights almost 20 oz. compared to the Sigma 17 oz.
On the other hand, the Tokina aperture does not vary as you zoom, so
it is always f/4 at maximum, faster than the Sigma which gets smaller
maximum as you zoom. That's worth the extra weight in my book! The
Tokina is a relatively new product, so I have not seen consumer
comments on it, but I have seen some comments on the web that Sigma
lenses are not terrific in sharpness, with comments like "don't buy".
Look for yourself.

Note that if you search the web a bit, you can find both lenses for
about the price that this guy is asking for USED! I was in the market
for a wider angle lens for my 20D within the past month, and both could
be ound for $465-470 (at B&H Photo and at eBay)
July 22, 2005 3:18:53 PM

It's not the case that all sigma lenses are not sharp. Yes, they make
some dogs (just like canon), but they also make a few really nice
lenses that about as good as canon's L glass. I just picked up a used
70-200 f/2.8 and it's spectacularly sharp. Sharp enough that I doubt
I'd see much difference with the canon version of the lens on my
dRebel...maybe on a 1Ds, tho. ;)
!