Sign in with
Your question

Help Me With My HAF X v2 Fan Planning

Last response: in Components
October 6, 2012 11:08:20 PM

Hello,

It would be great if I could run what I had in mind by you and get your opinions.

In my build I will be using the Coolermaster HAF X v2, the Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard and the H100 in push/pull. Basicly I want to have control over all of the case fans and I intend to max it out thus:

HAF X
Top: x2 200mm Cooler Master Mega-Flow (control module driven)
Rear: x1 140mm Stock (control module driven)
Side: x1 200mm Stock (control module driven)
Front: x1 230mm Stock (control module driven)
Vga Funnel: x1 120mm - Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP (CHA_FAN2 header driven)
Vga Bracket: x1 80mm - Noctua NF-R8-PWM (maybe) (CHA_FAN1 header driven)

H100 (CPU_FAN header driven)
Top & Bottom of Rad: x4 120mm - Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP (H100 pump driven)

Now what I had planned to do was to connect the top, the rear, the side and the front fans on the case to a decent fan control module. I was then going to let the motherboard dictate speed to the internals such as vga funnel & bracket connecting them to CHA_FAN1 & CHA_FAN2. That motherboard will also use an IO fan (stock) connected to ASST_FAN. The CPU_FAN header will take care of the H100 and the H100 will take care of its own fans via the pump control. That leaves CHA_FAN3, CHA_FAN4 & CPU_OPT redundant/not connected (though I'd love to find them a job). I suspect that CPU_OPT is a repeater header of CPU_FAN, I haven't found conclusive documentation on that. Thats basicly what I imagined at this point.

There is still a question in my mind, do we want to leave the hardware to dictate control or do we want to do it ourselves/trust the control module and is it really such a great idea to mix the two philosophies. What I do already know from experience is that software/bios control is usually less than adequate but better than direct power...

So then, what are your thoughts / what would you do? Also what would you recomend for me as a decent control module (if going that route).

More about : haf fan planning

October 7, 2012 8:46:19 PM

Anyone?
October 7, 2012 8:53:52 PM

Some insane cooling right there. I guess just look for a quality fan controller. Make sure it can control all of those fans. Make sure that there is no negative air pressure in your case. That's all that I can think of.
Related resources
October 7, 2012 9:01:43 PM

Thanks I know lol :p 

I suspect that negative air pressure would be an issue considering that the tops, side, front, both vga facets, IO and H100 mounts are all going to be pulling air inside. The PSU and rear will be exaust. Should lead to a very positive pressure differential to the outside ensuring low dust.

I am currently researching for a controller that can push at least 50w per channel. Something like a:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illu...

Although I would prefer an LCD touch interface...
October 7, 2012 9:27:24 PM

Nuluvius said:
Thanks I know lol :p 

I suspect that negative air pressure would be an issue considering that the tops, side, front, both vga facets, IO and H100 mounts are all going to be pulling air inside. The PSU and rear will be exaust. Should lead to a very positive pressure differential to the outside ensuring low dust.

I am currently researching for a controller that can push at least 50w per channel. Something like a:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illu...

Although I would prefer an LCD touch interface...

Idk the LCD touch is more of an aesthetic than a necessity, but that's just me. Try to look at some cheap LCD touchs if you can but I know that NZXT makes good cases but I'm not sure about a fan controller. You can try it out and see how it works for ya!
!