New Build: OS won't load from Windows Disc

hitman932

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
First off let me say that I am an amateur and this is my first custom build done with the help of a friend. We have set everything up, verified all connections and the computer posted. We are able to get into the bios fine however we cannot load Windows from the disc that we have. First a few details.

1) The processor (X6 1055t) and storage HD (Caviar Blue 1 TB) are from a Dell XPS 7100 my SSD is aftermarket and taken from my current laptop. Everything else was purachased new - Motherboard, GPU, Blu Ray Writer, Fan Control, RAM, CPU Cooler.
2) The SSD I am using as a boot drive (Vertex 4) has had windows loaded onto it from a disc on a different computer. I removed the SSD from my laptop as I wanted it my custom build instead.
3) The SSD is mounted in the topside Sata dock on my Corsair 650 case for simplicity sake (was intending to put it inside after OS was loaded)
4) The WD Caviar blue has Windows Office Pro and most of my music on it. Also has the OS attached to the XPS 7100. Did not want to lose Office software and would like to migrate OS if at all possible.

So my question then becomes... why can I not get Windows to load off of a disc upon setup?

The optical drive is a blu ray writer which I dont think should matter. The optical drive is recognized by Bios, and it spins when disc is inserted but it does not load anything.

Does my SSD need to be formatted? Is having my boot drive in a top of the case external bay cause problems? Will I be able to save my OS and Office software from the storage HD?

If I need to buy a new OS I can do that I just obviously prefer not to and want to rule out any other potential issues before doing so. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SmartGeek

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Hi hitman932,

I think you need to get the Blue-Ray Drive at the top in Boot Drive Priority.
You can do this by going into the BIOS, then moving to the Boot Tab. In the Boot Tab, you'll find 'Boot Drive Priority' (or something similar). Select this option and set the Blue-Ray Drive as the first Boot Drive. Save the change by pressing F10 and then restart to see if the disc loads or not.

Regards,
SmartGeek

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Well if you have windows installed previously onto the hard drive and want it to run that just isn't going to happen. Your entire hard drive needs to be wiped and you do need a new copy of windows (unless you have the disks and then you can just buy a new key code). The reason this setup won't work is that every component in a computer has specific drivers needed to run them. If you have a computer set up using all the same parts it will work if you have it with large differences there isn't a chance of it working correct.

A blue ray drive works with CD/DVD and BR, so your fine there. Yes when installing windows all your drives should be formatted. Having the boot drive on top of the case is fine as long as it's still connected by a SATA cable like an internal HDD. You can't transfer an OS or office software. You'll have to go out and buy a new office or if you have more keys left on the old version that'll work. Then you transfer the saved files not the entire program.

hitman932

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for the answers so far.

Looks like I have no choice but to purchase a new OS, fair enough.

Even though the 2nd hard drive that has Office on it isn't the boot drive does it also need to be formatted? It's Office Pro so it's not something I just want to throw out if there is any way to avoid it.