Upgrading for gaming, very lost, please help

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello,
I had someone build my pc for me almost 2 years ago ($400), and I've never put a graphics card in, but I'm looking to get Diablo 3 running, and planetside 2 (beta). I am very not up to date with hardware, I've spent the last 2 weeks researching and still I'm unsure of a lot. I don't know what specs you guys need I'll try and give you a list of what I know, I'm unsure what the case is but I have pictures if that helps.
OS - microsoft windows 7 sp1
MOBO - (ASUSTeK computer inc) M4N68T-M
CPU - (AMD) Athlon II X2 250
RAM - (Super Talent) DDR3 1333 (2g x2) 4096mb
PSU - (Allied) 300W switching power supply ver2.2
SATA - (Western Digital) 1. TB 64mb cache
SCREEN - Gateway FPD1530
Accessories - logitech G300 mouse & Microsoft keyboard
also I have the fastest purchasable internet in my area it's Verizon fios 35mbps (internet can totally be a gaming bottleneck)

So I'm trying to spend $300 or less on this upgrade. I've been checking out a couple different graphic cards, mainly the nvidia gtx 460 and radeon hd 6870.

I know I need a bigger powersupply have no Idea what the differences are with supplies or what I would need for these cards in my system

I also know I probably need faster ram, this is very confusing to me because my ASUS Mobo booklet says I can put 8gb on my mobo, but under the QVL only puts up to 6gbs for 1600 MHz and only up to 2gbs for 1800MHz (and only up to 6gb for 1333)

Lastly, I don't know how to figure out if the radeon chip will fit in my case or where it even goes to measure it.

If anyone could explain some of my concerns in a way that'll make some sense to me and put me in the right direction for my budget, you'd be the best, Thanks.

Solution
The thing to measure is the MoBo and its compatibility with the case. You don't necessarily need to have the physical dimensions. For example, your current MoBo is a Micro-ATX MoBo. Check if your case is rated for Micro-ATX MoBo's. If it is then your good to go.

QVL lists are the RAM that the manufacturer has tested to the MoBo. I'm not sure exactly what they mean but perhaps they are saying that if you put in an 8 Gb DDR3 1600 RAM, the MoBo will only use 6 Gb of it.

Can anyone else say if my interpretation is right?

Yes you will need at least a 500W RAM. I would get this PSU...

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
The thing to measure is the MoBo and its compatibility with the case. You don't necessarily need to have the physical dimensions. For example, your current MoBo is a Micro-ATX MoBo. Check if your case is rated for Micro-ATX MoBo's. If it is then your good to go.

QVL lists are the RAM that the manufacturer has tested to the MoBo. I'm not sure exactly what they mean but perhaps they are saying that if you put in an 8 Gb DDR3 1600 RAM, the MoBo will only use 6 Gb of it.

Can anyone else say if my interpretation is right?

Yes you will need at least a 500W RAM. I would get this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341047&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo. OCZ ZS 550W.

And I would get this GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948. Sapphire Radeon 6870.

Now what will cause more of an issue is the GPU clearance. That one is 250 mm. in length. Check if your case can accommodate that length.

Solution

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
How do I figure out what my case is, I've tried googling cases and looking them up on tigerdirect and newegg but never found it, and I can't find anywhere on the case to say even a brand. I could email pics if you would be willing to go there for me, but it's not expected.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
The QVL makes no sense it shows they've put 3x 2gb ram when the mobo only has two slots, but clearly states You may install 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb unbuffered ECC and non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs into the Dimm sockets. I found several forums saying the MOBO does read 8gb and use it, but no reference to which brands or what MHz.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
So I'm going to get the radeon 6870 and the 550w power supply (if you guys think I definitely wont need more), but can anyone help me out with figuring out what RAM will work I'm hoping for 6-8gb of 1600MHz. I appreciate the other's that responded, I believe I'll have the a full 16 inches for the card so that wont be a problem.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Nobody can help with the RAM? I've tried calling asustek with no luck they just keep giving me more phone numbers to call and I've went in circles, I really need help has anyone at least seen a working set up with this Mobo on forums for reference?

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

i just googled your mobo and found a compatible ram list took me about 5 seconds (from asus website)

you can also check the ram manufacturer's website for compatibility .

generally most ram is compatible now a days.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
@dane332
Thank you the problem is not the list, it's what's not on the list, asustek manual says I can put 2 4gb sticks in but there's no QVL for that setup the closest thing they have is 3 2gb sticks yet I only have 2 slots, I am trying to get 8gb with 1600MHz do you have a suggestion towards this

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
As I stated earlier, the QVL list only lists they have tested with the MoBo. This does not include the RAM that are similar in specs to listed ones but are from a different brand, or new RAM that they have listed and put in their website. Remember that the printed manual cannot be updated so the information may be outdated.

Dane332 is right. Just check the manufacturer's website for compatible RAM.

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I would suggest this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428.

I have this RAM and it also works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191

That PSU will definitely handle your system.

The His Iceq is also a good brand. You will be happy with it. If the length is similar to the Sapphire on I mentioned, the length of the card would be about 9.8 inches. That would be more than enough to fit your case.

You don't necessarily need an HDMI to connect your monitor. Some other ports include VGA and DVI. If your monitor have speakers, the HDMI would be the best choice since it also streams audio. If not, then I would opt with the DVI.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
That memory will give me some extra change very well priced. Your the best bro, and I personally don't have anything wrong against sapphire it is more popular but just based on reviews the other vendor was most favorable. I got a separate sound system with the base and speakers and controller set up (some old school setup I had lying around).
I got one more question now this will be an easy question for your caliber of expertise, can the video card be hooked up to my monitor and my t.v. and whats the cheapest way to hook it up to my t.v. if so, I have a 32inch samsung 5series about 5 feet away. I'm only asking because it would be great to stream some channels I have subscriptions to as well as if I do a little video editing on sony vegas.

themusclestud

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Sounds simple enough, and I think I got a long (monster) HDMI cord I bought like 3 years ago in a box somewhere. Alright now to order this things and replace, there are many tutorials online for putting the stuff in so I think I am all set now, are you on here much if I wanted to PM you in the future?