Sign in with
Your question

Could I run some of the most demanding games on max settings?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2012 1:48:21 AM

Hey guys..

Getting a new laptop soon and I'm wondering if I would be able to run some of the most demanding games on their Maximum settings. Some of the most demanding games I have read were Crysis and Metro 2033. Would it be possible to run those on their highest settings with what I am getting:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Processor (3.2~3.8GHz) 12MB Intel SmartCache, 6 Cores - 12 Threads

GPU - nVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 256bit w/2.0GB GDDR5

RAM - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3/1600 QUAD Channel Memory
April 11, 2012 2:03:36 AM

I would advise against the 3930k. GPU performance is more important than CPU performance and that GPU is going to bottleneck for sure.
-drop down to a mobile CPU, something like an i7-2620QM or whatever the hell they call them these days. You don't really need a desktop CPU since it's just going to be paired with a mobile GPU.

Keep in mind the 675m is actually just a renamed 580m. This means you aren't actually getting the new, much more efficient architecture. If memory serves the 580m is equal to a desktop GTX 560 (non Ti) so check for benchmarks on that.

Where are you buying from? I might be able to help you spec out a machine.

m
l
April 11, 2012 2:16:09 AM

striker410 said:
I would advise against the 3930k. GPU performance is more important than CPU performance and that GPU is going to bottleneck for sure.
-drop down to a mobile CPU, something like an i7-2620QM or whatever the hell they call them these days. You don't really need a desktop CPU since it's just going to be paired with a mobile GPU.

Keep in mind the 675m is actually just a renamed 580m. This means you aren't actually getting the new, much more efficient architecture. If memory serves the 580m is equal to a desktop GTX 560 (non Ti) so check for benchmarks on that.

Where are you buying from? I might be able to help you spec out a machine.

I'm buying from Sager, getting (well preordering) the new NP9270. I wasn't exactly sure what to get...I'm kind of a noob at these kinds of things :( . (The base configuration has for the CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor (3.6~3.8GHz) 10MB Intel SmartCache, 4 Cores - 8 Threads.)
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 2:45:04 AM

Laptops like that aren't laptops at all. They are portable desktops.

The i7-3820 is still pretty expensive for what you get. Is there an option to go with something other than X79, say P67/Z68? I'm not really a laptop guy myself but I'd be willing to help you out. Are you stuck with this laptop (since you preordered it) or can you do some adjustments? The CPU is not weak by any means, it's just expensive. It's a damn fine CPU to use.

As for GPU's, I suppose the 675M is pretty good. Expensive, but pretty good. Too bad it's not based on Kepler.
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:09:03 AM

I am not stuck with this laptop actually, I have not preordered it yet and I could definitely make adjustments of any sort. I'm sort of stuck getting a laptop anyway (not really any room to put a desktop plus my laptop is finished and I'm stuck on a darn Inspiron Mini.)
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:13:14 AM

Umm of course your machine will play Crysis and Metro 2033 on max the games are old. Crysis is from 2007....
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 11, 2012 4:11:14 AM

Depending on the resolution. At 1080p, it will struggle with Crysis (I know my GTX 560 Ti cannot max it, it gets below 30 fps with everything including AA) and there's no way You'll max metro 2033. There aren't even many desktop cards that card max it (even GTX 680 gets only 40 fps, and I think that's just high, but not max settings).
m
l
!