Cold_War

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hello gurus on Tom's Hardware, I am planning on building a video editing PC in the next couple of months and I have a budget of £400/$625, which I cannot fit an i7 in which I wanted, so I have settled with an i5 2500K.

I will overclock it to around 4GHz, and I don't know if water cooling is expensive to run, so probably air cooling.

This build is not focused on gaming, I only play Minecraft and some basic games on this so I already have a Sapphire 2GB Radeon 6570, a DVD Drive and a 500GB (SATA) HDD which I am planning on re-using.
I don't need anything outside the case.

I render all of my videos in 720p and I have my monitor resolution at 1024x728 or 1280x1024 max, my monitor cannot do any higher resolutions and I am not planning on changing it. I live in England, United Kingdom and have currently come up with these parts for the system:

CPU = Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 Quad Core (£148) - Its the best deal on an Intel i5, can't afford Ivy Bridge and it runs hot when overclocking.
CPU Cooling: I was really unsure of what to go for here, around £30 would be nice, so maybe an Arctic Freezer i30, CM Hyper 212 EVO/Hyper 412S?
Motherboard = Asus LGA1155 P8B75-V ATX (£68) - I was really unsure vs. ASRock's P67 Pro3 as it is said to have issues. I really like this motherboard though.
RAM = Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (£13) - Will add another 4GB stick when I get 64bit OS.
PSU = OCZ ZS Series 550W 80Plus Bronze PSU (£44)
Case = CiT Jupiter Blue Gaming Case (£25) - This case is from a brand known for making bad cases, but my friend has this one, it actually has a great tool-less HDD and expansion bays, cable management, bottom mounted PSU and 2 LED fans. It is a pretty solid case to, but it only lacks some dust filters which I will probably buy.
Here is a link on Scan with photos: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cit-jupiter-v2-black-midi-tower-mesh-gaming-case-with-blue-led-fan-and-vented-side-panel-w-o-psu

The total now without a cooler is £300. A £30 cooler would be great so I will be able to buy a 64bit copy of Windows 7 because of the £70 spare. Any suggestions on cheaper and/or better parts will be taken into consideration. Thanks for your help!

GeForce6

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I'd get an i5 3570k, better integrated GPU, PCIE 3.0
CM 212 is good
A P67 is better than a B75, if you want PCIE 3.0 you'll need Z77 though. B75 benefit for business use, P67 are more for gamers and would probably benefit you too
Make sure if your motherboard can use 1 memory stick alone, I think most can only use 2 or 4
Your PSU looks alright, I'd get a Corsair TX or Seasonic for the future if you can afford it now
As you have some spare money, I'd really spend at least £50 on a case, if you can get something like a CM Enforcer, HAF, then I would

If you need a disc drive, get an Asus 2B3ST, it's an actual quality one that won't break like most others do

Cold_War

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I don't want an IB processor as it is really expensive and I want the least hassle, as temperatures go hot when it is overclocked and with the MB I wanted the Asus because it is top quality and I personally like Asus, and it does have PCI3. Thanks for the information though! I think it can use 1 stick, or I will just get a kit for £1 more.

I don't need a disk drive as I recently bought a Samsung one as my old one broke. On the PSU, I managed to get a Seasonic S12II-520 520W 80Plus Bronze PSU on a deal. Is this a better PSU?

I know that I should be spending more on the case but I know this is a good case, I have been and seen it at my friend's as he has a custom build - it is really solid, has cable management, great airflow, nice tool-less design plus a bottom mounted PSU, front mounted ports and an eSATA. I know that it doesn't have dust filters but I don't want to pay double for a branded case that is just as good as this one.

Thanks for your help though!

GeForce6

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Good points, but just so you know about IB, it only has temperature problems when you OC it above 4.5Ghz, it can easily do 4. And an SB can get up to 4.9Ghz with watercooling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts