Win XP startup screen has been changed by brotherinlaw

January 28, 2005 10:12:42 PM

You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
do this? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:12:43 PM

Visit this site and download Bootskin, a small free program. You can change
your Win logo back to the normal or d/; many others of your choice. I
currently have one that shows as the regular screen upside down. Should
have seen the face of the grandchild that booted Grandpa's computer w/o
permission! What a hoot!

http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

Old Codger

"nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
do this? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:26:14 PM

Hi

If you mean the picture for your account:

Control Panel>User Accounts. Then click on the appropriate account and
select 'Change the picture'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to reboot
> my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not suitable for
> small children and so I would like to change it. How do I do this? Thanks
> in advance.
January 28, 2005 11:23:11 PM

No, I don't mean the little icon that denotes my user account. I mean
the big screen filling WinXP logo startup screen that comes up when you
start your computer. But thanks for the suggestion.

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you mean the picture for your account:
>
> Control Panel>User Accounts. Then click on the appropriate account and
> select 'Change the picture'.

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:24:00 PM

nargd wrote:
> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
> do this? Thanks in advance.

"The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a quality
third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or Logon Loader by
Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it manually though, here are
some excellent instructions courtesy of bFarber Logins.
1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and find the file named
"logonui.exe".
2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything messes
up...you have a backup.
3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
logonui.exe.
4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be there."

Quoted from ThemeXP site.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:28:51 PM

cpemma wrote:
> nargd wrote:
>> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
>> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
>> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
>> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
>> I do this? Thanks in advance.
>
> "The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a
> quality third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or
> Logon Loader by Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it
> manually though, here are some excellent instructions courtesy of
> bFarber Logins. 1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and find
> the file
> named "logonui.exe".
> 2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything
> messes up...you have a backup.
> 3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
> logonui.exe.
> 4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be
> there."
> Quoted from ThemeXP site.

That's also not the one you want to change, if I read your last post
correctly.

Try http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/ and kick your BIL.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:41:43 PM

cpemma wrote:
> cpemma wrote:
>> nargd wrote:
>>> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
>>> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
>>> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
>>> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
>>> I do this? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> "The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a
>> quality third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or
>> Logon Loader by Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it
>> manually though, here are some excellent instructions courtesy of
>> bFarber Logins. 1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and
>> find the file
>> named "logonui.exe".
>> 2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything
>> messes up...you have a backup.
>> 3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
>> logonui.exe.
>> 4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be
>> there."
>> Quoted from ThemeXP site.
>
> That's also not the one you want to change, if I read your last post
> correctly.
>
> Try http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/ and kick your BIL.

But check he hasn't left the original ntoskrnl.exe file in a
slightly-renamed form (.old, .bak, etc), which would be the decent thing to
do and save you a lot of work. If not, you'll have to obtain a copy of the
original version to swap in or find a non-X-rated logo screen on the net.

Sorry about all the postscripts, think I'm done now. ;-)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:42:08 PM

Hi,

Unless he is an expert assume he used a proggy to do it. Check in your
"Program Files" directory for anything that sounds like a bootup screen
changer and run it, chances are it has a restore function. Sometimes the
obvious is overlooked.

Andy

"nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
> do this? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:51:08 PM

Andrew Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unless he is an expert assume he used a proggy to do it. Check in your
> "Program Files" directory for anything that sounds like a bootup
> screen changer and run it, chances are it has a restore function.
> Sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
>
> Andy

And if all else fails;

Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file

If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the
error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

1.. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD
or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below
steps will not resolve your issue.

2.. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a
message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message
press any key.

3.. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the
recovery console.

4.. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the
administrator password.

5.. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

6.. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y
and press enter to overwrite the file.

7.. Type exit to reboot the computer.

> "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message
>> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
>> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
>> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
>> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
>> I do this? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:24:28 AM

LOL....

You gotta laugh at cpemma's reply... what sort of file corruption would put
porn on your pc?

"SYSTEM ERROR.... file has been disheveled!"

> If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the
> error. To restore this file follow the below steps.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:34:04 AM

I took your advice and downloaded Bootskin and now all is right with the
world. Thank you.

Old Codger (TX) wrote:
> Visit this site and download Bootskin, a small free program. You can change
> your Win logo back to the normal or d/; many others of your choice. I
> currently have one that shows as the regular screen upside down. Should
> have seen the face of the grandchild that booted Grandpa's computer w/o
> permission! What a hoot!
>
> http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
>
> Old Codger
>
> "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
> do this? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:48:07 PM

Is bootskin a program you run once to fix or change the skin, or is it
something that is loaded and run everytime you start the PC?

!