Win XP startup screen has been changed by brotherinlaw

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
do this? Thanks in advance.
11 answers Last reply
More about startup screen changed brotherinlaw
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Visit this site and download Bootskin, a small free program. You can change
    your Win logo back to the normal or d/; many others of your choice. I
    currently have one that shows as the regular screen upside down. Should
    have seen the face of the grandchild that booted Grandpa's computer w/o
    permission! What a hoot!

    http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

    Old Codger

    "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
    do this? Thanks in advance.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi

    If you mean the picture for your account:

    Control Panel>User Accounts. Then click on the appropriate account and
    select 'Change the picture'.

    --


    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups


    "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    > You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    > brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to reboot
    > my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not suitable for
    > small children and so I would like to change it. How do I do this? Thanks
    > in advance.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    No, I don't mean the little icon that denotes my user account. I mean
    the big screen filling WinXP logo startup screen that comes up when you
    start your computer. But thanks for the suggestion.


    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If you mean the picture for your account:
    >
    > Control Panel>User Accounts. Then click on the appropriate account and
    > select 'Change the picture'.
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    nargd wrote:
    > You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    > brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    > reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    > suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
    > do this? Thanks in advance.

    "The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a quality
    third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or Logon Loader by
    Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it manually though, here are
    some excellent instructions courtesy of bFarber Logins.
    1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and find the file named
    "logonui.exe".
    2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything messes
    up...you have a backup.
    3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
    logonui.exe.
    4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be there."

    Quoted from ThemeXP site.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    cpemma wrote:
    > nargd wrote:
    >> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    >> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    >> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    >> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
    >> I do this? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > "The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a
    > quality third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or
    > Logon Loader by Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it
    > manually though, here are some excellent instructions courtesy of
    > bFarber Logins. 1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and find
    > the file
    > named "logonui.exe".
    > 2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything
    > messes up...you have a backup.
    > 3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
    > logonui.exe.
    > 4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be
    > there."
    > Quoted from ThemeXP site.

    That's also not the one you want to change, if I read your last post
    correctly.

    Try http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/ and kick your BIL.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    cpemma wrote:
    > cpemma wrote:
    >> nargd wrote:
    >>> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    >>> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    >>> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    >>> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
    >>> I do this? Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> "The simplest and safest way to change a login screen is to use a
    >> quality third-party application such as Style XP 2.0 from TGTSoft or
    >> Logon Loader by Daniel Milner. If you feel comfortable doing it
    >> manually though, here are some excellent instructions courtesy of
    >> bFarber Logins. 1.. In Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32 and
    >> find the file
    >> named "logonui.exe".
    >> 2.. Rename "logonui.exe" to "logonui.exe.bak". This way if anything
    >> messes up...you have a backup.
    >> 3.. Place your new login in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and rename it to
    >> logonui.exe.
    >> 4.. That's it! Now when you log off your new login screen will be
    >> there."
    >> Quoted from ThemeXP site.
    >
    > That's also not the one you want to change, if I read your last post
    > correctly.
    >
    > Try http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/ and kick your BIL.

    But check he hasn't left the original ntoskrnl.exe file in a
    slightly-renamed form (.old, .bak, etc), which would be the decent thing to
    do and save you a lot of work. If not, you'll have to obtain a copy of the
    original version to swap in or find a non-X-rated logo screen on the net.

    Sorry about all the postscripts, think I'm done now. ;-)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi,

    Unless he is an expert assume he used a proggy to do it. Check in your
    "Program Files" directory for anything that sounds like a bootup screen
    changer and run it, chances are it has a restore function. Sometimes the
    obvious is overlooked.

    Andy

    "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    > You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    > brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    > reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    > suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
    > do this? Thanks in advance.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Andrew Bailey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Unless he is an expert assume he used a proggy to do it. Check in your
    > "Program Files" directory for anything that sounds like a bootup
    > screen changer and run it, chances are it has a restore function.
    > Sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
    >
    > Andy
    >
    And if all else fails;

    Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file

    If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the
    error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

    1.. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD
    or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below
    steps will not resolve your issue.

    2.. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a
    message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message
    press any key.

    3.. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the
    recovery console.

    4.. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the
    administrator password.

    5.. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

    6.. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y
    and press enter to overwrite the file.

    7.. Type exit to reboot the computer.

    > "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message
    > news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    >> You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    >> brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    >> reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    >> suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do
    >> I do this? Thanks in advance.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    LOL....

    You gotta laugh at cpemma's reply... what sort of file corruption would put
    porn on your pc?

    "SYSTEM ERROR.... file has been disheveled!"

    > If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the
    > error. To restore this file follow the below steps.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I took your advice and downloaded Bootskin and now all is right with the
    world. Thank you.

    Old Codger (TX) wrote:
    > Visit this site and download Bootskin, a small free program. You can change
    > your Win logo back to the normal or d/; many others of your choice. I
    > currently have one that shows as the regular screen upside down. Should
    > have seen the face of the grandchild that booted Grandpa's computer w/o
    > permission! What a hoot!
    >
    > http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    >
    > Old Codger
    >
    > "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    > You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    > brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    > reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    > suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
    > do this? Thanks in advance.
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Is bootskin a program you run once to fix or change the skin, or is it
    something that is loaded and run everytime you start the PC?


    "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:0SAKd.197568$8l.63874@pd7tw1no...
    > I took your advice and downloaded Bootskin and now all is right with the
    > world. Thank you.
    >
    > Old Codger (TX) wrote:
    > > Visit this site and download Bootskin, a small free program. You can
    change
    > > your Win logo back to the normal or d/; many others of your choice. I
    > > currently have one that shows as the regular screen upside down. Should
    > > have seen the face of the grandchild that booted Grandpa's computer w/o
    > > permission! What a hoot!
    > >
    > > http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
    > >
    > > Old Codger
    > >
    > > "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message
    news:K8wKd.196790$8l.113767@pd7tw1no...
    > > You know the screen that displays the WinXP logo during startup? My
    > > brotherinlaw kindly changed that and I didn't notice until I had to
    > > reboot my machine last night. The picture he put on there is not
    > > suitable for small children and so I would like to change it. How do I
    > > do this? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > >
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Startup Screen Customization Windows XP