Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to make Comp Cards

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hello.

I would like to make comp cards for somebody. I have an idea in mind.

The front would be a single head shot. The bottom 2 centimeter strip of
the headshot would be overlayed with a translucent colour on top of
which would be some opaque text about the person. Possibly the whole
would be framed against a coloured border.

The reverse side would be 4 different shots of the person. Possibly
each shot would be framed against the background colour.

It is a basic setup for comp cards i think.

How do i do it with photoshop?

1 How do i do the overlay on the front and add text in a particular
font? The overlay should be semi translucent so we can still see the
(toned) picture in the background.

2 How do i inset the picture into a frame?

3 How do i put four pictures together into one image?

4 How do i separate those pictures so that they would be framed against
the background colour?

I have seen and felt a few compcards. Some of the card stock i liked,
some i didn't. I thought the matt finish looked best.

Which card do you recommend using? I have noticed that the colour
quality on some of the comp cards i have seen is really quite poor. Any
suggestions / comments about this?


Finally, and i hope you will forgive me asking so many questions in a
single post, if you have any tips on comp cards i would like to hear
them.

Thank you so much!

More about : make comp cards

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:44:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:01:28 -0700, n wrote:

> I would like to make comp cards for somebody. I have an idea in mind.
>
> The front would be a single head shot. The bottom 2 centimeter strip of
> the headshot would be overlayed with a translucent colour on top of which
> would be some opaque text about the person. Possibly the whole would be
> framed against a coloured border.

Don't get artsy-fartsy with a comp. You want the viewer to see the
person, not the colorful design. Keep it simple.

> The reverse side would be 4 different shots of the person. Possibly each
> shot would be framed against the background colour.

A plain background color with color shots is fine, but not with b&w: Use
white, black or a percentage screen of black for a grey shade. You want
the photos to stand out.

> It is a basic setup for comp cards i think.
>
> How do i do it with photoshop?

You'd be better off using a DTP, vector drawing or illustrator app to do
your layout. Use PS only to prepare the photographs for importation into
the layout app. PhotoShop is not really designed to do what you want it to
do, although you can use it to do it, it's just not as easy as apps
designed to do it. (Did all that make sense? ;-) )


> 1 How do i do the overlay on the front and add text in a particular font?
> The overlay should be semi translucent so we can still see the (toned)
> picture in the background.
>
> 2 How do i inset the picture into a frame?
>
> 3 How do i put four pictures together into one image?
>
> 4 How do i separate those pictures so that they would be framed against
> the background colour?
>
> I have seen and felt a few compcards. Some of the card stock i liked, some
> i didn't. I thought the matt finish looked best.
>
> Which card do you recommend using? I have noticed that the colour
> quality on some of the comp cards i have seen is really quite poor. Any
> suggestions / comments about this?

For b&w comps, I like a glossy, but not high gloss, front and a smooth,
semi-matte back. Color, front or back, is best on glossy stock, but if you
want color just put it on the front, and leave the back b&w. The
juxtaposing of color against b&w has extra impact.

The reason for poor quality is cost. Comps are give-aways, and many who
use them are trying to save money, and go with the cheapest priced vendor,
who lowers his production costs by using inferior materials and doing a
lousy printing job. Use a quality commercial printing company to get
quality work, and not some fly-by-night place that offers "...1000
full-color comps, both sides, for $10 TOTAL, plus sales tax."


> Finally, and i hope you will forgive me asking so many questions in a
> single post, if you have any tips on comp cards i would like to hear
> them.

Advice? Yes. A comp is only as good as the photographs. So, produce
quality photographs. And use a quality printer.


Stefan
July 22, 2005 6:24:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1121997298.457165.55910@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
total_utter_carp@yahoo.com says...
>
>Hello.
>
>I would like to make comp cards for somebody. I have an idea in mind.
>
>The front would be a single head shot. The bottom 2 centimeter strip of
>the headshot would be overlayed with a translucent colour on top of
>which would be some opaque text about the person. Possibly the whole
>would be framed against a coloured border.
>
>The reverse side would be 4 different shots of the person. Possibly
>each shot would be framed against the background colour.
>
>It is a basic setup for comp cards i think.

Depends. I've seen all sorts of layouts, depending on the agency.
>
>How do i do it with photoshop?
>
>1 How do i do the overlay on the front and add text in a particular
>font? The overlay should be semi translucent so we can still see the
>(toned) picture in the background.

First, I'd go with In-Design, or Quark (or PageMaker) for the page layout, not
PS.
>
>2 How do i inset the picture into a frame?

File>Place
>
>3 How do i put four pictures together into one image?

This would be done in PS. File>New, size to desired pictue dimensions. If
images are the same size, and you wish 2x2 matrix, use Guides to give you the
layout you need. Open each of 4 images. Ctrl-A (Select All), Ctrl-C (Copy),
then make layout image active, and Ctrl-v (Paste). Ctrl-T (Free Transform) and
Shift-drag on a corner to size the image. Repeat for the other three. It
helps, if your images are cropped to the same and correct aspect ratio, before
you begin. Now you have 4 images, on 4 Layer. Save as PSD. Layers>Flatten.
Save as TIFF, or whatever you want for the layout program.

>
>4 How do i separate those pictures so that they would be framed against
>the background colour?

Doing above, I'd use Guides, to create a gutter for the images, and size/move
the images to match the guttered blocks defined by Guides. You might also want
to think about either an embossed edge look, or maybe a drop shadow for each
image in the 2x2 matrix. These will add a touch of depth to the page, but do
not overdo it. As a photographer, I want to see good clear shots on a comp,
more than art. Technical, i.e. printing, quality is a must. Some agencies
don't do a very good job. I hate muddy images on a comp card.
>
>I have seen and felt a few compcards. Some of the card stock i liked,
>some i didn't. I thought the matt finish looked best.
>
>Which card do you recommend using? I have noticed that the colour
>quality on some of the comp cards i have seen is really quite poor. Any
>suggestions / comments about this?

This will depend on who does the printing, and their capabilities. Go with the
best card-stock, that you can find. I like the matte surface, though glossy
will so a bit more detail. If you are having these commercially printed, you
will definitely want to go with a page layout program, after you have done the
photographic manipulations in PS.
>
>
>Finally, and i hope you will forgive me asking so many questions in a
>single post, if you have any tips on comp cards i would like to hear
>them.

Do not worry. That is what the Usenet is for - or at least what it SHOULD be
for.
>
>Thank you so much!

Last caveat. If you *are* having these printed commercially, talk at length
with the printer. Ask about what program formats they can handle best. Let
them pick the stock, based on what your client needs. They will know what goes
through their presses best. You might find some really cool stock, that will
not feed in their gear, and that gets you no where.

Hunt
!