Alfheim

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hello, I currently have an coolermaster Extreme2 525 PSU, if I were to upgrade my CPU to a Zambezi FX6100 and add a HD 7850 GPU, will I be able to power them both?

Solution
this is the power consumption with an over clocked sandy bridge-E ( that will use 48 watts more at stock)
zpw-xbt.png

all the 660ti are overclocked also and except for one they are under 400 total watts. the max load you want to put on a PSU is 80% of it continuous load for best efficiency. so 400/.8= 500 watts

also lower quality PSUs have weaker 12 volt rails, where you really need to draw power from for the CPU and GPU. a better quality will have 80% of its power on the 12 volt rail or 400 of 500 watts. so a minimum of 34 amps of 12 volts would be necessary; though just the CPU and GPU won't use more than ~300 watts.

xtwiinky

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Do not buy TX series from corsair. Im not sure about other series or brands but in my experience the fan ran 100% all the time. I saw many videos and forums about it. After RMAing it and getting a brand new one.. had the same problem. The fan uses a black and red so it cannot be controlled. I took it apart and replaced the fan with one that ran to my fan controller so I could control it.

For the most part many brands get their PSU from the same source. I think corsair gets theirs from seasonic i don't remember.

Look up sound comparisons and issues.

G

you're welcome.

when it comes down to it a quality 500-550 watt PSU will be fine the thing is that cooler master is not a quality PSU they have been known to fail below the rated load.

the xfx, corsair, seasonic as amuffin suggested are great along with enrmax, pc power&cooling, fsp and some ocz.

here is a database to find manufacturers and models with many of them reviewed:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

don't be afraid to ask any questions :)

qbsinfo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
this is the power consumption with an over clocked sandy bridge-E ( that will use 48 watts more at stock)
zpw-xbt.png

all the 660ti are overclocked also and except for one they are under 400 total watts. the max load you want to put on a PSU is 80% of it continuous load for best efficiency. so 400/.8= 500 watts

also lower quality PSUs have weaker 12 volt rails, where you really need to draw power from for the CPU and GPU. a better quality will have 80% of its power on the 12 volt rail or 400 of 500 watts. so a minimum of 34 amps of 12 volts would be necessary; though just the CPU and GPU won't use more than ~300 watts.

Solution