No Dx11 with Radeon HD 6850!!

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hello everyone!

I can't run games in Dx11 mode!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H with an integrated Radeon HD 4200.
CPU: Athlon II x4 635

I recently upgraded my discrete GPU from a radeon x1950pro to Radeon HD 6850. I thought everything was fine untill I realised I was playing new games under Dx9 instead of Dx11.
After a little of research I discovered that although I have the newest drivers installed (catalyst 12-3), the system says I have installed the Radeon HD 4200!!! and that's the reason I can't play Dx11 titles (Radeon HD 4200 is only Dx10.1 compilant).

When I right click on "screen resolution" on desktop --> advanced config --> the adapter listed is Radeon hd 4200. If then I click on properties, then it says AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series...

I have tried ccleaner, driver sweeper, reinstalling drivers, and no luck...

By the way, I have the integrated VGA disabled in the BIOS, so how is it possible that windows recognize this card??

There is something weird, cause when I plugged the 6850 for the first time windows didn't recongnized any new hardware, and nor does now everytime I remove and reinstall the new drivers...

I don't know what else to do!! I tried checking regedit too, but how do I know which are the possible wrong entries??

Please help!

Thank you!

thaisport

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Is your monitor hooked up to the VGA port on the motherboard or the GFX card?

Also, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? And double check to see if it is really off in the BIOS. Sometimes you may actually have it on both instead of pcie.

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for your reply

Yes, my monitor is hooked up to the DVI output on the Radeon 6850. I have double checked the BIOS, and "IGX" is disabled. I didn't have this problem with the Radeon x1950pro. There was no sign of the Radeon 4200 in Windows untill I installed the 6850 with the new drivers (the x1950pro used legacy drivers, so I guess there was no support for HD 4200).

Would be any way to manually change something to tell windows which card is the correct or something?

BTW, I tried to activate the windows hardware detection to see if removing drivers and reinstalling them, the card is detected, but nothing happens...

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Dxdiag says Dx11 installed, and says Radeon HD 4200 adapter.

Do you think it's useful reinstalling dx?

I'll try something else when I go back home!

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

It's curious, but device manager says my vga is Radeon HD 6800 series!!

So, in someplaces it says HD 4200 adapter and in other HD 6800!! But the point is that all games take the HD 4200 name, and no DX11 is available.

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for replying.

I didn't know about hidden devices. But I have just tried it, and there isn't any hidden device. What would you do from scratch? I mean, don't worry if you repeat something.

What I have already done is uninstall and reinstall drivers (with driver sweeper after that), and I checked that the 4200 is disabled in the BIOS. Should Windows recognize new hardware (HD 6850) when rebooting after uninstall drivers? (because it doesn't).

Yes Windows should recognize it after first install.In fact it will start looking on the web for drivers for it automatically once it boots into Windows.

This all sounds like a driver issue to me.This is another guess but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.Try flashing your BIOS from gigabytes website.Make sure you know which revision number your mobo is.

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Now it recognizes the card!! I've playing with drivers and so on, and I don't know how but now it appears Radeon HD 6800 as adapter type, although there is still showing the radeon hd 4200 in adapter name... The fact is that now games recognize the radeon HD 6800 and I can enable DX11.

Let's se what happens when I reboot... fingers crossed!! :)

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

You are absolutely right. After rebooting the same problem again... :(

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

I hope it's not a faulty card... It's a sapphire HD 6850 1GB (Dirt 3 version).
Does anyone know if there is someting I can check in the registry to see a wrong entry?

ALeX850

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I have the same issues regarding directX. I just got a sapphire HD 7870 OC to replace my HD 4870 X2 + HD 4870, I cleanly installed the 12.4b drivers (desinstallation, driver sweeper...) and some softwares show HD 4800 series (Dxdiag, everest, cpu-z, skyrim), others 7800 Series (CCC, gpu-z, device manager, system information). But I think I can play in DirectX11 mode though.
I also tried to relaunch the DirectX11 installer which actually did restore some files but with no success.
The steam system's information tool states clearly the problem : http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=898472steamErr.png
Sorry, it's in french but you can see that the driver card is 7800 and the directX one is 4800
So for me it's more a windows problem than a hardware one... didn't find how to solve it yet but I'll let you know if I find sthg.

ALeX850

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Apparently, I found the solution. I used this trick to reveal the hidden devices : http://www.theeldergeek.com/show_hidden_devices_in_device_manager.htm
Then I ticked the "show hidden devices" option in the device manager and under video cards appeared HD 4800 series and HD 4870 X2 references (actually, I discovered the "show the hidden devices" option after doing the trick so I don't know if it was working before doing it). So I uninstalled them from the device manager and reinstalled cleanly my drivers and now I don't have any HD 4800 reference anymore. I hope it'll be the same for you.

VGAmike

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

I really appreciate your reply. I know some of you have sorted out this problem with the "show hidden devices" under device manager, but in my case, when I tick this option, there are no other adapter available!! So everytime I reinstall drivers (not really reinstall, just upgrading in the display properties) to a 6800 drivers listed there, windows show the HD 6850 instead the 4200, but when I reboot everything goes back to the old and wrong config :(
So what I'm doing now, is just suspend the computer instead of powering off...