Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No Dx11 with Radeon HD 6850!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 11, 2012 6:32:28 AM

Hello everyone!

I can't run games in Dx11 mode!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H with an integrated Radeon HD 4200.
CPU: Athlon II x4 635
OS: Windows 7 64 bit

I recently upgraded my discrete GPU from a radeon x1950pro to Radeon HD 6850. I thought everything was fine untill I realised I was playing new games under Dx9 instead of Dx11.
After a little of research I discovered that although I have the newest drivers installed (catalyst 12-3), the system says I have installed the Radeon HD 4200!!! and that's the reason I can't play Dx11 titles (Radeon HD 4200 is only Dx10.1 compilant).

When I right click on "screen resolution" on desktop --> advanced config --> the adapter listed is Radeon hd 4200. If then I click on properties, then it says AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series...

I have tried ccleaner, driver sweeper, reinstalling drivers, and no luck...

By the way, I have the integrated VGA disabled in the BIOS, so how is it possible that windows recognize this card??

There is something weird, cause when I plugged the 6850 for the first time windows didn't recongnized any new hardware, and nor does now everytime I remove and reinstall the new drivers...

I don't know what else to do!! I tried checking regedit too, but how do I know which are the possible wrong entries??


Please help!

Thank you!

More about : dx11 radeon 6850

April 11, 2012 6:54:51 AM

Is your monitor hooked up to the VGA port on the motherboard or the GFX card?

Also, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? And double check to see if it is really off in the BIOS. Sometimes you may actually have it on both instead of pcie.
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 6:58:57 AM

Plug the monitor cable to the graphics card, set graphics to PCI-e on the BIOS, boot up and install the graphics driver of 6850 cleanly.
Related resources
April 11, 2012 7:21:10 AM

thaisport said:
Is your monitor hooked up to the VGA port on the motherboard or the GFX card?

Also, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? And double check to see if it is really off in the BIOS. Sometimes you may actually have it on both instead of pcie.


Thanks for your reply

Yes, my monitor is hooked up to the DVI output on the Radeon 6850. I have double checked the BIOS, and "IGX" is disabled. I didn't have this problem with the Radeon x1950pro. There was no sign of the Radeon 4200 in Windows untill I installed the 6850 with the new drivers (the x1950pro used legacy drivers, so I guess there was no support for HD 4200).

Would be any way to manually change something to tell windows which card is the correct or something?

BTW, I tried to activate the windows hardware detection to see if removing drivers and reinstalling them, the card is detected, but nothing happens...
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 8:03:27 AM

I'm pretty sure windows reinstallation would help, and I know it's a big job, however, it's usually needed when you swap major part of hardware.
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 8:26:06 AM

Total shot in the dark: What does Device Manager say?
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 8:41:22 AM

try to M$ website download DirectX package install it.
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 8:51:20 AM

^ Win 7 comes with DX11 aboard, but VGAmike can run dxdiag to check the DX version installed: Start-->All Programs-->accessories-->Run. Then type: dxdiag.
April 11, 2012 10:51:08 AM

coozie7 said:
^ Win 7 comes with DX11 aboard, but VGAmike can run dxdiag to check the DX version installed: Start-->All Programs-->accessories-->Run. Then type: dxdiag.

Dxdiag says Dx11 installed, and says Radeon HD 4200 adapter.

Do you think it's useful reinstalling dx?

I'll try something else when I go back home!
April 11, 2012 10:55:03 AM

coozie7 said:
Total shot in the dark: What does Device Manager say?

It's curious, but device manager says my vga is Radeon HD 6800 series!!

So, in someplaces it says HD 4200 adapter and in other HD 6800!! But the point is that all games take the HD 4200 name, and no DX11 is available.
April 12, 2012 8:25:29 PM

another shot in the dark...

something's getting confused with you on-board (motherboard's) video card (4200) and the HD68050 in the PCIe slot.

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

so you'll have to set a preferred device, or disable on-board video (via BIOS) or in device manager "show hidden devices" and disable the 4200.

If I'm repeating anything I'm sorry,


-FW
April 12, 2012 9:41:26 PM

fedaykinwolf said:
another shot in the dark...

something's getting confused with you on-board (motherboard's) video card (4200) and the HD68050 in the PCIe slot.

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

so you'll have to set a preferred device, or disable on-board video (via BIOS) or in device manager "show hidden devices" and disable the 4200.

If I'm repeating anything I'm sorry,


-FW

Thanks for replying.

I didn't know about hidden devices. But I have just tried it, and there isn't any hidden device. What would you do from scratch? I mean, don't worry if you repeat something.

What I have already done is uninstall and reinstall drivers (with driver sweeper after that), and I checked that the 4200 is disabled in the BIOS. Should Windows recognize new hardware (HD 6850) when rebooting after uninstall drivers? (because it doesn't).
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:08:54 PM

Yes Windows should recognize it after first install.In fact it will start looking on the web for drivers for it automatically once it boots into Windows.

This all sounds like a driver issue to me.This is another guess but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.Try flashing your BIOS from gigabytes website.Make sure you know which revision number your mobo is.
April 12, 2012 11:13:10 PM

Now it recognizes the card!! I've playing with drivers and so on, and I don't know how but now it appears Radeon HD 6800 as adapter type, although there is still showing the radeon hd 4200 in adapter name... The fact is that now games recognize the radeon HD 6800 and I can enable DX11.

Let's se what happens when I reboot... fingers crossed!! :) 
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 11:58:46 PM

You should try testing it bunch.Wouldn't be good to think it's fixed now and then a couple weeks it starts doing it again.
April 13, 2012 4:26:03 PM

purple stank said:
You should try testing it bunch.Wouldn't be good to think it's fixed now and then a couple weeks it starts doing it again.

You are absolutely right. After rebooting the same problem again... :( 
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 5:10:59 PM

The mobo seems most suspect but it could even be a faulty card.

What brand is your 6850?
April 14, 2012 2:04:29 PM

purple stank said:
The mobo seems most suspect but it could even be a faulty card.

What brand is your 6850?

I hope it's not a faulty card... It's a sapphire HD 6850 1GB (Dirt 3 version).
Does anyone know if there is someting I can check in the registry to see a wrong entry?
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 2:17:44 PM

I'd blame AMD drivers for this. The only way to fix it might be reinstalling OS.
April 15, 2012 12:42:45 PM

I have the same issues regarding directX. I just got a sapphire HD 7870 OC to replace my HD 4870 X2 + HD 4870, I cleanly installed the 12.4b drivers (desinstallation, driver sweeper...) and some softwares show HD 4800 series (Dxdiag, everest, cpu-z, skyrim), others 7800 Series (CCC, gpu-z, device manager, system information). But I think I can play in DirectX11 mode though.
I also tried to relaunch the DirectX11 installer which actually did restore some files but with no success.
The steam system's information tool states clearly the problem : http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=898472steamErr...
Sorry, it's in french but you can see that the driver card is 7800 and the directX one is 4800
So for me it's more a windows problem than a hardware one... didn't find how to solve it yet but I'll let you know if I find sthg.
April 15, 2012 2:44:53 PM

Apparently, I found the solution. I used this trick to reveal the hidden devices : http://www.theeldergeek.com/show_hidden_devices_in_devi...
Then I ticked the "show hidden devices" option in the device manager and under video cards appeared HD 4800 series and HD 4870 X2 references (actually, I discovered the "show the hidden devices" option after doing the trick so I don't know if it was working before doing it). So I uninstalled them from the device manager and reinstalled cleanly my drivers and now I don't have any HD 4800 reference anymore. I hope it'll be the same for you.
April 15, 2012 7:08:06 PM

ALeX850 said:
Apparently, I found the solution. I used this trick to reveal the hidden devices : http://www.theeldergeek.com/show_hidden_devices_in_devi...
Then I ticked the "show hidden devices" option in the device manager and under video cards appeared HD 4800 series and HD 4870 X2 references (actually, I discovered the "show the hidden devices" option after doing the trick so I don't know if it was working before doing it). So I uninstalled them from the device manager and reinstalled cleanly my drivers and now I don't have any HD 4800 reference anymore. I hope it'll be the same for you.

I really appreciate your reply. I know some of you have sorted out this problem with the "show hidden devices" under device manager, but in my case, when I tick this option, there are no other adapter available!! So everytime I reinstall drivers (not really reinstall, just upgrading in the display properties) to a 6800 drivers listed there, windows show the HD 6850 instead the 4200, but when I reboot everything goes back to the old and wrong config :( 
So what I'm doing now, is just suspend the computer instead of powering off...
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 7:17:06 PM

VGAmike, you should really look into reinstalling windows as suspending computer isn't a solution.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 4:19:03 AM

Yes, reinstalling windows.
!