Please suggest a CPU and motherboard.

varunshankar

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I am a software developer from India. Want to build a computer for my software development work. There are hell lot of processors and motherboards available in the market and choosing among them seems impossible for me.

My requirements:

1. A heavy duty processor to handle all my software stack. (I think I need i5?)
2. Should be very very stable. No gaming. No video editing. No overclocking.
3. Don't want to buy separate graphics card. Just descent inbuilt graphics is enough.
4. Don't want to buy separate CPU coolers etc.
4. No plans to upgrade the machine for next 3 to 4 years. So the machine should be good for 3 to 4 years.
5. I will need 6 GBs of RAM.

Please suggest a budget CPU and motherboard.

aditya_27

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

whats the budget rupee?

if you pick up an ivy gen motherboard, pick up any of the i5-3xxx models. if its a sandy bridge gen motherboard, pick up a i5-2xxx model. I would normally recommend using a Xeon processor, but since you arent going to use any other gpu, then its out of question as Xeons dont have IGPU's(Xeons are basically non overclockable i7's that are about i5k prices) without igpus.

varunshankar

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I can spend up to Rs. 20000 for motherboard+CPU combination. Its just that I should be actually using what I am paying for. I don't want to pay for any fancy features which I will never use.

varunshankar

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Hi. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am getting a used machine with below configuration for 18K.
Processor - Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz, 125W, 3MB total dedicated L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache, 4000MHz HyperTransport bus, socket AM3

RAM - 8 GB transcend 4 GB 1333mhz - 2 cards

Motherboard - ASUS M5A88-M AM3PLUS AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Cabinet - Zebronics Aviator Gaming Cabinet reference link for the cabinet

DVD Writer - LG DVD Writer

Is this a better configuration that what you suggested. Should I go for it?

gregaaron89

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

AMD has much better integrated graphics than Intel if that matters to you. But Intel has better overall performance. You get what you pay for. Though AMD is still a good value if you're on a budget.