C:WINDOWSCursors folder completely empty!! Where have they..

I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)

Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message appears
to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear under
Mouse>pointers>

Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
System restore does not go far enough back to find them.

Any ideas?
Yrs baffled flo.

Thanks for replying........
When you say you have attatched the missing default cursors I presume you
mean you have attatched them to a usable email for me.........great!......but
I don't think I've given a usable email??
........erm!..........

Could do this for you if I can't get Careys' idea to work.
Thanks anyway

"Andrew Bailey" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Don't know how it happened to ya m8, but allow me to save you from all the
> hocus pokus... i have attached all the default cursors for ya ;)
>
> Andy
>

> "floricicia" <floricicia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
> > dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
> >
> > Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message
> appears
> > to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
> > Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear
> under
> > Mouse>pointers>
> >
> > Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
> > XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
> > System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Yrs baffled flo

In your Control Panel, click on the Add or Remove Programs applet,
then Add/Remove Windows Components > Accessories and Utilities >
Details > Accessories > Details and reinstall the Mouse Cursors.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"floricicia" wrote:

|I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
| dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
|
| Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message appears
| to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
| Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear under
| Mouse>pointers>
|
| Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
| XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
| System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
|
| Any ideas?
| Yrs baffled flo.

Thanks Carey......but
the last time I went to 'Add/Remove Windows Components' I got in a muddle
with what to click and which boxes to leave checked/unchecked!!!

Ended up losing half the operating system!!!

Could you spare a moment to talk it through click/check by click??
I've found the Mouse Pointers check box. It has a tick in it...as does
every thing else.
Still slightly baffled
Flo
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> In your Control Panel, click on the Add or Remove Programs applet,
> then Add/Remove Windows Components > Accessories and Utilities >
> Details > Accessories > Details and reinstall the Mouse Cursors.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "floricicia" wrote:
>
> |I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
> | dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
> |
> | Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message appears
> | to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
> | Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear under
> | Mouse>pointers>
> |
> | Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
> | XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
> | System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
> |
> | Any ideas?
> | Yrs baffled flo.

ps.......come to think of it......I don't seem to have seen our fancy cursors
since the last time I meddled with 'Add/Remove Windows Components 'and every
thing went pear-shaped!!

I think there is a clue here?!

Its just not clear to me which things should be checked or unchecked and
what the results will be....ie. how do you know whether something is going to
be installed OR removed??

"floricicia" wrote:

> Thanks Carey......but
> the last time I went to 'Add/Remove Windows Components' I got in a muddle
> with what to click and which boxes to leave checked/unchecked!!!
>
> Ended up losing half the operating system!!!
>
> Could you spare a moment to talk it through click/check by click??
> I've found the Mouse Pointers check box. It has a tick in it...as does
> every thing else.
> Still slightly baffled
> Flo
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In your Control Panel, click on the Add or Remove Programs applet,
> > then Add/Remove Windows Components > Accessories and Utilities >
> > Details > Accessories > Details and reinstall the Mouse Cursors.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> >
> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

> > "floricicia" wrote:
> >
> > |I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
> > | dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
> > |
> > | Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message appears
> > | to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
> > | Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear under
> > | Mouse>pointers>
> > |
> > | Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
> > | XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
> > | System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
> > |
> > | Any ideas?
> > | Yrs baffled flo.

Woow.........thanks everybody-
Dinosaurs now back home!
Re-installed from zipfile.
All advise was very useful and I know a bit more about how Windows works (?).

Never did find your paperclip Andy,but many thanks all the same ;-) .
'Bye,all,

flo
"floricicia" wrote:

> I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
> dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
>
> Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message appears
> to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
> Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear under
> Mouse>pointers>
>
> Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
> XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
> System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
>
> Any ideas?
> Yrs baffled flo.

How to restore the missing mouse pointer cursor files?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/mousepointers.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"floricicia" wrote:
| ps come to think of it I don't seem to have seen our fancy cursors
| since the last time I meddled with 'Add/Remove Windows Components 'and every
| thing went pear-shaped!!
|
| I think there is a clue here?!
|
| Its just not clear to me which things should be checked or unchecked and
| what the results will be ie. how do you know whether something is going to
| be installed OR removed??

Check each item that you do want to be present in your system.
UnCheck each item that you do not want to be present in your system.

"floricicia" wrote:
> [...]

Hi Floricicia,

See what I mean about hokus pokus ;) just go back to my first reply (it
should have a little paperclip icon next to it). Now when you read it did
you notice it took a wee bit longer to open? that's because the icons are
attached to that message for everyone.

Now look in the top right of the message window, again there should be a
paperclip icon. Click it and select save attachment.

You now have a zip file on your hd with all the default cursors. Just unzip
this to C:\Windows\Cursors

Andy

"floricicia" <floricicia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I used to use the 3d Bronze cursor scheme and my girlfriend enjoyed the
> dinosaurs...!...(Ok,I know it's sad)
>
> Suddenly everything returns to plain old default white and a message
appears
> to say that the Cursor files are corrupt or possibly missing.
> Sure enough the file is empy although the various options still appear
under
> Mouse>pointers>
>
> Have run scandisk and looked at the empty folder.
> XP came preinstalled on my HP PC so have no XP disc.
> System restore does not go far enough back to find them.
>
> Any ideas?
> Yrs baffled flo.

You're welcome Flo.

--