CPU Fan Error without apearant reason

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 7, 2012 9:19:19 AM

So i had a usual my computer dust cleaning day, as always i just blow them off from computer. After regular procedure, i turned on and since then i started getting CPU fan error when i boot up my PC. If i press F1 it continues to work as normal, no overheating no nothing. You can restart pc and no error. But if the pc is shut down for few hours and then on boot i get the same error message.

What might be the cause? the cpu cooler works just fine, its Artic Freezer 7 and i use it for years.

More about : cpu fan error apearant reason

October 7, 2012 5:41:37 PM

anyone?
Related resources
October 8, 2012 8:15:42 AM

Its been installed for 5 years, so i suppose its coretly, else id be having this trouble at first days.

October 8, 2012 6:50:59 PM

your computer temperature are very good
October 8, 2012 6:51:56 PM

ok
you tried load bios default setting
October 8, 2012 7:41:46 PM

yes i did,

its strange, it happened seems without apearant reason
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 2:41:23 AM

I suspect a CPU Fan Error means that the mobo believes the CPU fan speed is zero. Since that is not true - your cooling is OK - that means that the fan speed signal (pin 3 of the connector) is not getting to the mobo. Most likely explanation is the pin and connector just are a little dirty - probably from oxidation of the metal contact surfaces.

Shut down and open your case. Find the CPU fan connector where it plugs into the mobo. Unplug it, then re-connect. Do this 3 or 4 times. Now close up, connect power, and boot. Has the problem gone away?
October 9, 2012 7:38:12 PM

thanks!:) 

unfortunetly the problem is still there, but i think i found out the problem. I opened the case and checked the booting of the fan, for some time it smins very very slowly, you can even see each of the fan blade spining, id say its like 100-200 RPM speed, later it speeds up.

Now the problem, how can thing like that happen so sudenly?
a c 311 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 9:22:47 PM

swaresnis said:
thanks!:) 

unfortunetly the problem is still there, but i think i found out the problem. I opened the case and checked the booting of the fan, for some time it smins very very slowly, you can even see each of the fan blade spining, id say its like 100-200 RPM speed, later it speeds up.

Now the problem, how can thing like that happen so sudenly?

Hi - Just a guess, the fan is probably at the end of it's life cycle.

Tom
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2012 3:45:47 AM

toyftw is probably right. Here's a quick test you can do if you can touch the CPU cooling fan blades. Wait for the whole system to cool off (not used for many hours), then disconnect power and open the case. Spin the CPU fan blades with your finger or something, and watch how they slow down. If it coasts smoothly for a long time, the bearings are OK. But I'm betting it will stop quite quickly, indicating worn and dry bearings. That will cause the fan to run too slow all the time, even given full voltage, and your CPU will overheat. It probably is causing the alarm, too. You see, at start-up that fan get a jolt of full voltage to start it, then the voltage is reduced to what the mobo expects to need to keep the CPU cool. But a worn fan will run much too slow, and the CPU will heat up, causing the mobo to increase the voltage to get faster speed and more cooling. BUT during all this time, the fan will run so slowly at the low initial voltage that the mobo will generate a failure alarm.

Find a replacement fan as good a match as you can get, and swap it out. Depending on what you have in there, you might even have to replace the entire CPU cooling assembly (if you have a custom third-party cooler you can't replace the fan on).
October 10, 2012 6:59:12 AM

Hey, thanks for the replay, i suppose the cooler indeed is weared off, because when i push the blades they dont even make 1 cycle to spin. This is cooler im using:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/freezer7pro/

So i have a stock cooler, brand new wich came with my Q9400, but since i had Arctic Freezer i used that one instead.

If im changing cooler i suppose i better change Thermal Paste? How much of that i should put on my CPU and should i cover whole CPU with it?
October 10, 2012 11:15:03 AM

So i had puted the default (stock) CPU fan wich came with Core 2 Quad (9400) and used the same thermal compound that was on the Stock Cooling system, now on idle its always around 60 C temperature, is that normal?
October 10, 2012 12:48:12 PM

ive changed thermal compound to CoolerMaster and now on idle its around 50 degrees Celcius. Is that normal for Q9400?

Seems i was kinda used too much to Arctic Freezer pro and its low temps
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 2:41:58 PM

I can't comment on your temps - don't know what they should be for that processor.

It's a bit late for this comment, since you've already changed things. But for future reference, when applying thermal paste, go to the manufacturer's website and look for their instructions on how much to use, and how to apply. Too little is not good, of course. But the too-frequent "the more, the better" approach also is not good - too much creates a thick film which actually reduces heat flow. Just right is the way to go.
!