Your question

Question about APU's

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:26:15 AM

Some amd cpu's such as the A10-5800K and the A8-560K are apu's. From what I know, this means they have gpu's. Is the term "apu" only for amd cpu's, or would an intel cpu with integrated graphics (such as the i5 2500k or the i5 3570k) be classed as an apu as well?

More about : question apu

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 10:45:12 AM

Technically speaking, yes, even Intel's chips are APU's, only intel doesn't call them that :)  Thier iGPU's aren't much to boast about either :) 

The term APU was coined by AMD, probably to clearly indicate to customers the presence of a significant iGPU inside, as well as possibly to differentiate them form their CPU only chips like the Phenoms and the FX chips. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 11:00:44 AM

When AMD decided on Fusion way back in 2006 odd and that was the companies aim in HSA, the intention is to reach the parity between high end CPU fusion with a high end GPU, while AMD have the A-series now by 2015 there will be no separated market AMD intends by 2015 to have full HSA computing featuring FX chips with high end Radeon graphics cores.

Coined this fusion process APU's, not really CPU's per se and not a GPU obviously. While I do accept some regard intels iGP as APU like, the intentions are not the same and I don't really see Intel ever competing on this front to be legitimately refereed to as APU's.

APU's don't merely describe CPU+GPU, it is the harmony, the parity, the parallelism between CPU/GPU for full HSA computing......to me that is very exciting.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2012 11:11:24 AM

$hawn said:
Technically speaking, yes, even Intel's chips are APU's, only intel doesn't call them that :)  Thier iGPU's aren't much to boast about either :) 

The term APU was coined by AMD, probably to clearly indicate to customers the presence of a significant iGPU inside, as well as possibly to differentiate them form their CPU only chips like the Phenoms and the FX chips. :) 

Is the iGPU the name of the gpu built into the cpu?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 11:17:58 AM

Yes integrated graphics processing unit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 11:25:24 AM

rewben2 said:
Is the iGPU the name of the gpu built into the cpu?

It's also sometimes just called IGP.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 7:43:44 PM

APU stands for Accelerated Processing Unit
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 7, 2012 7:58:00 PM

sarinaide said:
When AMD decided on Fusion way back in 2006 odd and that was the companies aim in HSA, the intention is to reach the parity between high end CPU fusion with a high end GPU, while AMD have the A-series now by 2015 there will be no separated market AMD intends by 2015 to have full HSA computing featuring FX chips with high end Radeon graphics cores.

Coined this fusion process APU's, not really CPU's per se and not a GPU obviously. While I do accept some regard intels iGP as APU like, the intentions are not the same and I don't really see Intel ever competing on this front to be legitimately refereed to as APU's.

APU's don't merely describe CPU+GPU, it is the harmony, the parity, the parallelism between CPU/GPU for full HSA computing......to me that is very exciting.

It's pretty stupid IMO. By creating a perfect CPU with good CPU power and high-end graphics it will eliminate the need for a discrete video card, that discrete video card market is about the only thing keeping them alive. So they'll eliminate the dedicated graphics market the only thing they are making money on and all they'll have left is CPU's which don't even come close to the market share Intel has. All they are doing is digging themselves a grave to bury themselves in when they're "brilliant" idea backfires.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:06:53 PM

rds1220 said:
It's pretty stupid IMO. By creating a perfect CPU with good CPU power and high-end graphics it will eliminate the need for a discrete video card, that discrete video card market is about the only thing keeping them alive. So they'll eliminate the dedicated graphics market the only thing they are making money on and all they'll have left is CPU's which don't even come close to the market share Intel has. All they are doing is digging themselves a grave to bury themselves in when they're "brilliant" idea backfires.

AMD's APU IGPs are no better than their previous generation graphics's top entry level graphics cards even when paired with incredibly high performance memory and the HSA is in part due to something that no discrete GPU can achieve: a low-latency connection to the CPU.

Making APUs lets AMD charge reasonable prices for the CPU and GPU while undoubtedly reducing BOM compared to if they sold them as separate CPUs and discrete graphics cards (you can't think that an Athlon II x4 and a Radeon 6670 DDR3 have lower aggregate BOM than a single A10 APU with similar performance), so it is at least in theory a higher profit product. It also gives us good reason to buy high-performance memory instead of the cheapest reliable kit that we can find.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 7, 2012 8:18:09 PM

luciferano said:
AMD's APU IGPs are no better than their previous generation graphics's top entry level graphics cards even when paired with incredibly high performance memory and the HSA is in part due to something that no discrete GPU can achieve: a low-latency connection to the CPU.

Making APUs lets AMD charge reasonable prices for the CPU and GPU while undoubtedly reducing BOM compared to if they sold them as separate CPUs and discrete graphics cards (you can't think that an Athlon II x4 and a Radeon 6670 DDR3 have lower aggregate BOM than a single A10 APU with similar performance), so it is at least in theory a higher profit product. It also gives us good reason to buy high-performance memory instead of the cheapest reliable kit that we can find.

What are you talking about. I'm talking about a system on chip where the CPU, graphics, NB and SB are all on the same chip. That would eliminate the need for a a SB NB chip and a dedicated graphics card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:37:31 PM

rds1220 said:
What are you talking about. I'm talking about a system on chip where the CPU, graphics, NB and SB are all on the same chip. That would eliminate the need for a a SB NB chip and a dedicated graphics card.

I disagreed with you in that HSA will backfire and gave my reasoning for why.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
October 8, 2012 1:35:35 AM

APU is just a term AMD made up for their CPUs with integrated graphics core.

Intel's CPU also have integrated graphics core, but they are still called CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 5:54:55 AM

rds1220 said:

As before the intention will be to fuse highest end CPU, with high end Radeon cores and the purpose of HSA is not to eliminated a graphics market but to streamline computing by proportionate workloads, right now AMD are a good 2 years from realising that step which is a significant one in computing. The other benefits come down to cost and power consumption, you reduce the power load of a higher end graphics card while AMD does intend to have 2 Way assymetrical crossfire by steam roller/kaviri releases and a much higher level CPU and GPU component than trinity, the APU market is moving forward and the concept is growing, if you have not seen a trinity perform then you will be forgiven for thinking it was slow.
m
l
!