Sign in with
Your question

New system, won't post

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 2:50:50 AM

Very frustrated with the new system I'm putting together as a replacement to my current HTPC. The system will not post, no video, no beeps. System fans will spin, HDD's spin up, but no other action.

ASRock H67M
Pentium G620
Antec 380W
ADATA DDR3 1333 2*2GB

So far I've tried the following with little success.
Breadboarded the system.
Tried the old power supply (Antec 430W), which I know works.
Switched out the RAM for 1 stick of the Corsair 2GB that I have in my main system.
All result in the same. No post, no beeps, no display.

I did try posting without any RAM installed, and did receive 3 beeps, indicating no RAM.

At this point I'm thinking bad MB or bad CPU?

More about : system post

June 9, 2012 2:55:48 AM

make sure that the 8/4 pin atx power plug is plugged in?? is the ram you have on the mb qal list?? try moving the ram to another slot to see if the ram slot is bad?? check for bent pin under the cpu???
m
l
June 9, 2012 3:06:15 AM

8 pin ATX power plug is plugged in. RAM is not on the list, will try switching to other slot, and check for bent pins. I don't remember seeing any when I first opened up the MB.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 11:39:21 AM

smorizio said:
make sure that the 8/4 pin atx power plug is plugged in?? is the ram you have on the mb qal list?? try moving the ram to another slot to see if the ram slot is bad?? check for bent pin under the cpu???

moving the ram to another slot didn't help. No bent pins.

I've also cleared the CMOS a few times.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:15:53 PM

is there a bios rev lable on the bios chip or box or on the mb..why i say this is the first bios was 1.40 the bios to post that cpu needs to be 1.80 and the only bios on the mb web page is 2.10.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=H67M
if the mb not doa try seeing if your local computer store has a cpu that will boot with the old bios and see if it post..then have them flash it to the newest one and see if your cpu posts. if not i would return it and get a board that will post with the default bios.
m
l
June 10, 2012 11:59:00 AM

smorizio said:
is there a bios rev lable on the bios chip or box or on the mb..why i say this is the first bios was 1.40 the bios to post that cpu needs to be 1.80 and the only bios on the mb web page is 2.10.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=H67M
if the mb not doa try seeing if your local computer store has a cpu that will boot with the old bios and see if it post..then have them flash it to the newest one and see if your cpu posts. if not i would return it and get a board that will post with the default bios.

I had the same thought. The bios on the board is 1.8 according to the sticker on the board

I just bought some ram that's on the qvl list for the board, so if that doesn't work, the board's going back

m
l
June 23, 2012 1:39:46 AM

New RAM from approved list didn't work. MB was returned and finally replaced today. Still no joy. CPU is now on it's way back. It's the only part that hasn't been replaced at this point.
m
l
July 4, 2012 12:01:17 AM

new CPU didn't fix the problem either. Also tried a dedicated video card to see if it was a problem with the onboard graphics. At this point, every piece of the original build has been replaced. Must be some configuration issue. The sticker on the board says H67M P1.80-15A. I'm assuming that this means its BIOS version 1.8; 1.4 is needed to support the CPU I have. Maybe these things are shipping with old BIOS versions?
m
l
!