Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dell Dim. 4600- No sound on re-install?!!

Last response: in Components
Share
October 7, 2012 9:42:18 AM

I'm actually trying to stick this thing on eBay and figured I'd wipe the drive and re-install XP Pro and the drivers for the GIGABYTE HD4650. Got the (HD sound on the gfx) card right (by some dumb luck miracle!), but no onboard sound! There's a thing in device manager called, "multimedia audio controller" with the evil, yellow, question mark!! I tried a "Realtek AC97" driver from CNET and halfway through, got a Win message questioning it's compatability. Hit continue anyway and then promptly crashed! I did this once before, years ago on this thing and I don't remember it being such a first class pain in the ***!! Let me also mention that it had sound BEFORE I wiped the drive.

I'm writing this while on the Dell, not my HP of which I'm really missing right now! In other words, if anyone knows of a fix for this I'd really, REALLY appreciate it greatly!! I want to wrap this thing up and hook my HP back up, no room for both.

PS: Yes, I looked at the, Realtek site as well as the, Dell download stuff. I'm not seeing anything or just missing it altogether!

Thanking you all in advance for any help on this!
October 7, 2012 10:16:49 AM

Try uninstalling the sound chip in task manager (delete it), restart and scan for hardware changes in task manager.
m
0
l
October 7, 2012 10:36:00 AM

maxokll said:
I'm actually trying to stick this thing on eBay and figured I'd wipe the drive and re-install XP Pro and the drivers for the GIGABYTE HD4650. Got the (HD sound on the gfx) card right (by some dumb luck miracle!), but no onboard sound! There's a thing in device manager called, "multimedia audio controller" with the evil, yellow, question mark!! I tried a "Realtek AC97" driver from CNET and halfway through, got a Win message questioning it's compatability. Hit continue anyway and then promptly crashed! I did this once before, years ago on this thing and I don't remember it being such a first class pain in the ***!! Let me also mention that it had sound BEFORE I wiped the drive.

I'm writing this while on the Dell, not my HP of which I'm really missing right now! In other words, if anyone knows of a fix for this I'd really, REALLY appreciate it greatly!! I want to wrap this thing up and hook my HP back up, no room for both.

PS: Yes, I looked at the, Realtek site as well as the, Dell download stuff. I'm not seeing anything or just missing it altogether!

Thanking you all in advance for any help on this!


Out of frustration, I forgot all of this...

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
1.00 GB Single-Channel DDR @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 02Y832 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
EW224 (1024x768@75Hz)
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (Gigabyte) 33 °C
Hard Drives
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 (PATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
Memorex DVD+-RAM 530L v1
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S
Audio
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
m
0
l
Related resources
October 7, 2012 10:38:39 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Try uninstalling the sound chip in task manager (delete it), restart and scan for hardware changes in task manager.


Did that in device manager after the fiasco with that, Realtek AC97 driver from CNET crashed it. Scanned and multimedia audio controller returned to it's current state of driverless.
m
0
l

Best solution

October 7, 2012 11:05:48 AM

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/di...
here all the drivers for that unit. open the case and read the sound card.unit could have adi or a creative labs sound card.
also go to intel for the newest intel chipset drivers for the mb.
Share
October 7, 2012 3:13:21 PM

smorizio said:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/di...
here all the drivers for that unit. open the case and read the sound card.unit could have adi or a creative labs sound card.
also go to intel for the newest intel chipset drivers for the mb.


Outstanding! ADI on a 50-50 shot! Now all I need is to locate and drop in (install?) the ADI Codecs for it. The Soundmax thing is back and what I clearly remember it being. I guess once I get the codecs in place I'll actually have sound, otherwise it LOOKS correct. I do see the newest chipset drivers as well! :)  If there's anything I should be wary about, feel free to add.

Thank you, VERY MUCH!!
Max
m
0
l
October 7, 2012 3:13:48 PM

Best answer selected by maxokll.
m
0
l
March 31, 2013 5:07:48 AM

Here are the drivers for Windows 7 (x32) for the Creative Labs SB0200 sound card.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZF4jEAVFSQNWdQRUhRa19...

1) Extract the files from the link above
2) Go to Device Manager
3) Right click on the sound card with missing drivers and select update drivers
4) Find the drivers from the folder named "Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)"
5) As these were built for XP or 2000 you must ignore the warning messages.
6) TADAA!!

One problem is I can't find the driver for the MIDI port or whatever.
Not a problem as I don't need it and no other noticeable harm.

Private Message me if you need help

tags: Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP, Windows 7
m
0
l
!