Should I reseat my heatsink?

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hello all,

I have a not too great but reasonable AMD Phenom II x6 1090T processor, I've been running it for 2 years now and I've had it overclocked, the max overclock I can perform on it is 3.8 Ghz which I know isn't much but it's the best I can do. The reason being (and this is where you guys can help me out) is I think the thermal paste I applied when seating my heatsink on the CPU I hvae wasn't done that well to be honest. My CPU cooler is an Akasa Nero S, this came with a thermal paste which i am using, Akasa Ak-455.
My idle temps are about 36 degrees and when under full load (Prime95) 51-52 degrees and it the speed has to keep clocking back to 800 MHz from 3.8GHz so it doesn't overheat.

So I am currently in the right ming to just remove the heatsink and thermal paste and just go reapply. I'm really hoping for a 4.0 GHz overclock and want some advice.

Any input is accepted, many thanks to you all.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
No harm in repasting but as jay says those temps are fine, the 800MHz thing is cool n quiet, thermal throttling is something else.

You can go up to about 60 degrees at load so you still have some OC room. Though honestly I wouldn't bother the performance difference between 3.8 and 4.0 is negligable