Sign in with
Your question

Photo Printers (7"x5" media)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 4, 2003 6:12:32 PM

I am looking around for a printer that would be suitable for just photo use by printing on 6"x4" photo media and 7"x5" photo media.

There are those dedicated printers (Digital photo printers , you know the little ones), how good are these, so far I know cannon makes these but they are 6"x4" only.

Otherwise what printers are best for this type of printing. I currently have an epson 895 but I am looking for a friend and have not always found the 895 good for printing photos (can anyone else give me tips?).

Also what is the best media for printing photos on?

Lots of questions, :) 

Julian Bailey

More about : photo printers media

June 4, 2003 6:24:54 PM

What kind of budget ya working with? Is 4x6 and 5x7 definitely all they'll ever want? No 8x10s or anything?

The best media I've seen for printing on (and some are hanging on my walls) is Epson's Luster paper. Granted, you have to start with a good photo for it to look any good, but most of them look like they're straight out of a pro darkroom, as far as appearance and texture.

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=339..." target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>
June 4, 2003 6:41:30 PM

Umm well prolly set an upper limit at £300 - £400 maybe.

Well it is for my mum and she wants a decent printer for a small size printer my parents have a HP Deskjet 1120 (A3 size printer) and I have a Epson Photo 895 and when I come home from uni then they use it for larger prints. Are the dedicated 6"x4" printers worth it (Cannon makes some).
Related resources
June 4, 2003 6:58:29 PM

Hmm, well, if i've done my math right, that's about 490-650 US$, right? I'm not sure what price you can get them for, but that's about the price of what the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 sells for over here (about $670), and it's towards the top of the heap for consumers right now. The Epson Stylus Photo 1280 is on the lower end of that (about $470, US).

For Canon, the S9000 is good, and the i9100 is coming out soon, if it hasn't already.

If you've got that kind of money, you can do better than one of the midgets, and be able to print larger when you want to. Of course, I'm assuming yall don't pay a lot more than we do across the puddle. You'd know more about that.

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=339..." target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>
June 4, 2003 7:00:47 PM

Well we do pay more but I was mainly looking for model numbers from people. So You would recommend the Epson 2200?

Have you used this printer?
June 4, 2003 7:13:27 PM

If you/she can afford it? I would definitely recommend it. I don't own one (I only have the Stylus Photo 1200), but my father and his wife have one and I've used it. It's great. A number of the shutterbugs that hang out at popphoto.com forums have it and will say the same thing.

June 4, 2003 7:44:36 PM

Well what would you recommend at a slightly moderate price range?

(Since my parents asked me to research, the more expensive and the slightly cheaper (My dad already has an A3 printer so I dont know how keen he would be to get another A3 printer)

You would recommend popphoto.com to research this?
June 4, 2003 7:56:43 PM

A couple of suggestions are above. Popphoto.com forums may provide you with a deeper pool of possible knowledgeable responses, since there are many more photographers, of all levels, hanging out there. Of course, with that approach comes different hazards (i.e. 30 different people telling you to buy something different)

That is the online site for Popular Photography and Imaging Magazine, on the off-chance you hadn't figured that out already. I'm on there with the same name.

June 4, 2003 8:42:10 PM

Thanks for your help!
!