WD 80GB 7200rpm drive

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Same here...

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mpjesse

Splendid
I've had nothing but Western Digital- never had one problem... There was a 4.3GB drive they made a few years back that failed after a year- it hurt WD pretty bad. At the time I worked for Gateway at the time and we were getting a mad number of calls regarding hard disk failures. It really sucked.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

Well as far as reliability goes, all IDE hard drives are approximately the same (on paper anyway). But the Western Digitals are slower that most equally fitted (in size, RPM, etc.) competitors; IBM or Maxtor for instance. If you check some of Tom's benchmarks, the new WDs come in very low compared to competitors.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

G

BTW, Gateway guy, I have an anecdote for you.
A friend of mine worked for a very large company. They ordered a few hundred PCs from Gateway. When the PCs arrived, some were fast, and some were really slow, DECELERATED it seemed. All were the same, same speed processors, same amount of memory, same size harddrives. They realized however that half of the HDs were Maxtor, half were WD. Needless to say, the next day Gateway was shipping them more Maxtors.
I guess if you've always used WDs then you'll be perfectly happy with your drive. But if you ever get a different brand, let's just say:
"When you've had fat, you ain't never going back!" -Fat Bastard

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

dhlucke

Polypheme
I've never had a problem either. I'm just starting to freak out since the prices are so low. I bought my 27.3GB a couple years ago and if I remember correctly it cost $250....

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>