OCZ or Cooler Master ?

monogram

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm going to build my new pc.

Here it is:

I5 2400
MSI Z77A-G43 (gaming load is 330W, is correct ?)
MSI GTX 660Ti PE/OC
SSD Samsung 830

I was looking for Cooler Master GX-Lite 700W (+12V= 55A) then I found OCZ ModXStream 700W modular (+12V1=25A,+12V2=25---> 50A???)
I'm not sure the OCZ Ampere count that I made is correct,because the 600W version has 50A as well.
The price is the same.

But maybe I need just a 600W, I don't know.
Thanks everybody !

I wouldn't get either one.

You don't need anything over 600w definitely and 500w would be more than fine.

MSI makes bad motherboards, but the motherboard itself is going to use 75w at the most. The whole system not more than 400w as shown.

What I generally suggest that people do is go on www.newegg.com, in the power supplies section, choose a wattage range that they want (say 500 - 600) and then look for everything that has an award from either Hardware Secrets or JohnnyGuru. Choose one from those.

PSU makers are very willing to lie on their labels and these two websites test to make sure they aren't lying and give rewards to the PSUs that are really good and do what they say they will do.

D

Deleted member 217926

A system with a single GTX 660 Ti only needs a recommended 450w power supply.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ or Antec if you can. There are some other good brands too but the ones I listed are pretty much good across the board.

The OCZ is 46amps(552 Watts), Changes are its more then enough, but more expensive power supplies deliver more power(HX 650 has 54).

At the end of the day, I think power wise you are fine.

Cooler Master does not have a good track history with power supplies, but I have seen some last for years(just not loaded near the label ratings).

Funny thing here.

I7 2600k @ 4.4 + 5870(not the worst card, but averageish) + Hard drive and 3 SSD's(these dropped power consumption from the hard drives noticeably 5-8 watts drop at the wall) has not been able to take 300 watts from the wall no matter what I do with it. I fear the 850 watt power supply may be overkill(But I was from my old system that needed more power and it is fairly quiet and low heat).

Funny thing is, the OCZ ModXStream 500W and 600W both have the Golden Award from Hardwaresecrets.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes and they are very good. I believe his point was a 700 watt power supply is way more than the OP needs.

Fair enough. I've just seen a LOT of hating on OCZ PSUs. I think a 500W or 600W ModXStream would be a good option for the OP.

OCZ makes some decent products and some sucky products. As long as you don't just assume the model is good then you are probably fine. I would strongly suggest anyone considering getting an OCZ PSU check into how well it performs in testing beforehand.

On the other hand, I would say people are fine buying Seasonic or XFX PSUs without doing any research.

You can call that hate on OCZ if you want.

However, buying PSUs like I described is a really smart way to go about it. You know you are getting quality if you do it that way. Takes all the guesswork out of buying a PSU, which is a good thing.

Not at all. It's definitely the best way to go about buying a PSU in general, though you can probably get away with not checking on Seasonic stuff (and XFX by extension).

I've just had a few threads where I recommended some of these OCZ PSUs with good reviews where people have made the "OCZ therefore crap" assumption. Doing that to Cooler Master or Thermaltake I might understand, but it seems a bit harsh on OCZ.

OCZ isn't a trustable brand like Seasonic and XFX are. You can't just say "It's OCZ, so its good."

That is probably what everybody is thinking when they hate on OCZ.

Around here it sucks if it isn't a good performer for very nearly every model available. OCZ isn't like that, not like Seasonic is.

OCZ, however, does have plenty of PSUs worth buying. You just have to do your research to figure out what those are and TBH its often more trouble than its worth given the alternatives that require no research.

They fail at greater rates than other boards and their voltage regulation is particularly bad. The voltage regulators are well known for failing and rendering the entire motherboard useless.

I wouldn't want to own an MSI board when I could instead have an Asus, Asrock, or Gigabyte board for an equal amount or only a little more.

XFX 450w is a good PSU for entry level PCs.

That being said, I think even though the wattage is good enough the video card has 2x 6 pin PCIE connectors and that PSU only has one built into it.

If the video comes with a MOLEX to 6 pin PCIE connector then it will work, though.

I think the XFX 550w comes with 2 of those connectors built into it and it would be able to work with no adapter. Might want to verify this if you are considering this option.