Sign in with
Your question

New gaming system, what do you think...

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 5:00:48 AM

So I have decided after getting a nice bonus at work to not upgrade my current system and to build myself a new system. Let me know what you think. Total cost is about $1,657 after tax. Here are the specs:

CPU: Core i5-3570K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
Ram: GSkill ARES Series 16GB quad channel PC3-12800
SDD: Kingston HyperX 3K series, 120GB
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 OC 2GB
Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
Drive: LG 14X Blu-Ray burner
Case: NZXT Phanton full tower, white w/ additional fans
PSU: Cosair TX750M

More about : gaming system

June 9, 2012 6:24:26 AM

For a gaming system, you do not need 16 Gb. 8 Gb is enough.

For an extra $50, you can get a gtx 670. It performs better than a reference gtx 680 but $100 cheaper. I would suggest either one of these models: Asus DCII or EVGA FTW.

You don't need a sound card. The MoBo should have onboard audio which would be good enough for your purposes.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit unless you are going to use some features of the Pro for work.

550W would be fine if you don't plan to SLI that gtx 670 in the future.
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:29:35 AM

I agree with what l0v3rboi said.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 9:16:10 AM

l0v3rboi said:

For an extra $50, you can get a gtx 670. It performs better than a reference gtx 680 but $100 cheaper. I would suggest either one of these models: Asus DCII or EVGA FTW.

You don't need a sound card. The MoBo should have onboard audio which would be good enough for your purposes.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit unless you are going to use some features of the Pro for work.

+1
m
l
June 9, 2012 1:28:56 PM

l0v3rboi said:

The reason for the 750W is because I have it sitting here. Personally I like ATI better than nVidia. Have been using them for a long time so that is why I choose that card. As for the sound card. I was reading a bunch of reviews and a lot of people have problems with noise thru the onboard sound so I figured I add in a sound card.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:39:52 PM

johnvosh said:
The reason for the 750W is because I have it sitting here. Personally I like ATI better than nVidia. Have been using them for a long time so that is why I choose that card. As for the sound card. I was reading a bunch of reviews and a lot of people have problems with noise thru the onboard sound so I figured I add in a sound card.

OIC... Yeah, using that PSU will be fine then.

I would suggest you get the Radeon 7850 though. Price-for-performance wise, it is better. Plus it is highly overclockable so you can OC it to perform similar to the Radeon 7870.
m
l
June 10, 2012 11:06:34 AM

Looks great!
m
l
!