GTX 680 and SWTOR: frame rate flux

Arbegust

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just installed my new EVGA gtx 680 and it runs great on Skyrim and Battlefield 3. (85-75fps and 71-65fps respectfully) SWTOR, however, vascilates greatly. (112fps-45fps) I was wondering if this is due to it being an on-line game. I thought perhaps latency and such was affeting the frame rate. Can anyone give me some feedback on this, or has anyone experienced the same issue?

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I play SWTOR on both a mobile (6970m) and desktop GPU (560ti 448) and have the same experience. Framerates are all over the board. I chalk this up to the fluctuating content to render and dynamic content, being an MMO (online).

Framerates never become unplayable, or really noticeable so I haven't spent too much time troubleshooting it.

I found this on civ 4.
Static images were 30fps, and there was jerkiness when moving the map which soon changed to 60.

What I think was happening was that the card was detecting a static display and reducing the frame rate to conserve power.

I went to the nvidia control panel and changed the settings for the game.
I changed power management mode from adaptive to prefer maximum performance.
I also changed maximum prerendered frames to 2 from use app 3d setting.
I suspect that only the power setting change would have been sufficient.

Regardless, the problem is fixed, and I get a steady 60fps which is the limit for the game.