Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1000 first gaming build, I5 or I7 CPU?

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 5:18:57 AM

hi there,
i have been thinking about building a gaming pc for a while, and i will probably still be waiting for a bit longer till i build it, but i want to know,
should i get an I5 or i7 for my CPU?

i don't really have the money to be upgrading it every year or two when i find that it cant run something, so i want to make sure its future proof for at least 3 years or more.
i am thinking of the 'K' series chips, purely because i can OC if i have to.

I know that most of you probably have a 2500K, which i may get, but i want an opinion on the 2600K and the new ivy bridge 'K' series I5's and I7's

the rest of the build will probably be a bit like this:

MOTHERBOARD: (preferably ASUS or Gigabyte, Z77, 2 X16 PCI-E slots, SLI)

RAM: 8GB 1600 Ram(not sure what brand yet)
(is it worth getting 16GB?)

GPU: possibly a GTX 670 or 680(only one, but i can sell it or future SLI if i need to)

CASE: (not sure yet)

PSU: (at least 750W?)

COOLING: (is water cooling worth it?)

not sure about HDD and SSD right now, will sort it out later

my budget will be about $1000 USD max

NOTE: i dont want to have a load of die hard Intel or AMD fans spamming my post, so only helpful information please,

I live in New Zealand,

i havnt posted any links because im not sure yet, and

my friend keeps on telling me to get an FX-8120, but i have heard that they arent very good, and are only equal to an i5

thanks

More about : 1000 gaming build cpu

Best solution

June 9, 2012 5:36:05 AM

Quote:

i don't really have the money to be upgrading it every year or two when i find that it cant run something, so i want to make sure its future proof for at least 3 years or more.
i am thinking of the 'K' series chips, purely because i can OC if i have to.

I know that most of you probably have a 2500K, which i may get, but i want an opinion on the 2600K and the new ivy bridge 'K' series I5's and I7's

The gaming front is a lot different from the design/cad front. In the gaming end of software development, the need for GPU power progresses a lot quicker than CPU power. If anybody wants to prove me wrong, go ahead. Basically what I am saying is that you will need to upgrade your GPU a lot faster than your will a CPU, so a decent CPU will be a lot more future proof in any computer than a GPU.

For example, in 2008 we had the launch of the 9000s from Nvidia GPU's. Which were good at the time, but by today's standards are considered very weak...and they are. A 9000s card couldn't handle many of todays games at popular resolutions. However, in 2008 we had the release of the Core i7's Nehalems...of which are still being used like 4 years later today on powerful gaming setups. GPU's still aren't bottle necking the high clocked Nehalems. So my point is that get a decent CPU like an i5 from Sandy or Ivy bridge and it will last you 3 years for gaming I think...unless some serious new gaming technology arrives. Or you play at absurd resolutions.

Quote:

RAM: 8GB 1600 Ram(not sure what brand yet)
(is it worth getting 16GB?)

For gaming...no. During games, my usage rarely exceeds 3-4GB. Good brands are corsair, mushkins, crucial, g.skill...etc.

Quote:

GPU: possibly a GTX 670 or 680(only one, but i can sell it or future SLI if i need to)

Good choice...I bet you that 3-4 years from now...when your CPU is still handling everything fine, your 670 will be nothing more than trash.

Quote:

PSU: (at least 750W?)

Quality 550Watt.

Quote:

COOLING: (is water cooling worth it?)

No, unless you are doing extreme overclocks.

For gaming...no. During games, my usage rarely exceeds 3-4GB.
June 9, 2012 5:48:42 AM

ok, thanks

Quote:
The gaming front is a lot different from the design/cad front. In the gaming end of software development, the need for GPU power progresses a lot quicker than CPU power. If anybody wants to prove me wrong, go ahead. Basically what I am saying is that you will need to upgrade your GPU a lot faster than your will a CPU, so a decent CPU will be a lot more future proof in any computer than a GPU.

For example, in 2008 we had the launch of the 9000s from Nvidia GPU's. Which were good at the time, but by today's standards are considered very weak...and they are. A 9000s card couldn't handle many of todays games at popular resolutions. However, in 2008 we had the release of the Core i7's Nehalems...of which are still being used like 4 years later today on powerful gaming setups. GPU's still aren't bottle necking the high clocked Nehalems. So my point is that get a decent CPU like an i5 from Sandy or Ivy bridge and it will last you 3 years for gaming I think...unless some serious new gaming technology arrives. Or you play at absurd resolutions.

so i should just get an I5(3570K?), and i will probably have one, or maybe two 1920x1080 screens,

Quote:
Good choice...I bet you that 3-4 years from now...when your CPU is still handling everything fine, your 670 will be nothing more than trash.

about the 670, thats what i thought when i was looking at different GPUs,

Quote:
Quality 550Watt.

is 550W enough if i OC and decide to get a second 670?, and

i will just get a good air cooler then if i decide to OC

what brand of ram do you recommend?

if anyone was wondering about the $1000 price tag, i can borrow my friend's spare 560TI until i have enough money to buy the 670
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2012 6:14:16 AM

bradsctt said:

i'll say yes on both accounts.
a 670 max power consumption is 162 watts.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
two of them would be 324 watts; 27 amps on the 12 volt rail (324/12=27)
thats what you look for on a quality PSU; the continuous amperage on the 12 volt rail where most of you power will be used.
now you do need to consider the CPU, HD(s), SSD (if you get one) RAM and chipset. but aside from the CPU (77 watts for ivy bridge) the others take 10 (hard drive spinning up) to 4 watts (1 stick of RAM) each.

i'll give you an estimate that a 670 sli will hit 435 watts on the 12 volt making the amperage no less than 36.25.
any quality 550 watt will have more than that. antec, silverstone, seasonic, most corsair, some ocz . . .
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:19:56 AM

Anonymous said:
i'll say yes on both accounts.
a 670 max power consumption is 162 watts.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
two of them would be 324 watts; 27 amps on the 12 volt rail (324/12=27)
thats what you look for on a quality PSU; the continuous amperage on the 12 volt rail where most of you power will be used.
now you do need to consider the CPU, HD(s), SSD (if you get one) RAM and chipset. but aside from the CPU (77 watts for ivy bridge) the others take 10 (hard drive spinning up) to 4 watts (1 stick of RAM) each.

i'll give you an estimate that a 670 sli will hit 435 watts on the 12 volt making the amperage no less than 36.25.
any quality 550 watt will have more than that. antec, silverstone, seasonic, most corsair, some ocz . . .

ok, thanks.
i might get a 650W so i dont have any problems in the future
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:45:23 PM

Quote:

so i should just get an I5(3570K?), and i will probably have one, or maybe two 1920x1080 screens,

I'd suggest an I5 for gaming.

Quote:

if anyone was wondering about the $1000 price tag, i can borrow my friend's spare 560TI until i have enough money to buy the 670

Mhm, 550 is not enough for a 670SLI IMO. Most 550's probably won't handle the current on that 12V rail depending on the extra stuff you have. If I had dual 670's I'd stick with 700watt+ just to be on the safe side, you also want some good headroom.

Quote:

If you stick with the good brands, you really cannot go wrong, just go with good deals. Corsair, Mushkin, G. Skill...etc. OCZ used to make amazing RAM, but I believe they stopped making it and focused on their vast SSD market.
m
l
June 9, 2012 9:09:25 PM

Quote:

If you stick with the good brands, you really cannot go wrong, just go with good deals. Corsair, Mushkin, G. Skill...etc. OCZ used to make amazing RAM, but I believe they stopped making it and focused on their vast SSD market.

ok thanks

Quote:
Mhm, 550 is not enough for a 670SLI IMO. Most 550's probably won't handle the current on that 12V rail depending on the extra stuff you have. If I had dual 670's I'd stick with 700watt+ just to be on the safe side, you also want some good headroom.

i had included a 750W into my budget, so ill just get one
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2012 10:17:45 PM

bradsctt said:

Quote:

i had included a 750W into my budget, so ill just get one

please DO NOT budget WATTAGE - go for quality. there are many 750 watts PSUs that can't compete with a quality 550 watts PSU*. i laid out exactly what amperage on the 12 volt rail is needed. if you want a "little headroom" thats great, however getting too large of a PSU has as many drawbacks as getting too small of a PSU.

*look at the amperage on the 12 volt rail, if you see a PSU with a large amount on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails with little on the 12 volt the wattage is over inflated and will not perform as well as a lower wattage PSU.
m
l
June 9, 2012 10:27:06 PM

Go for the i5. The i7's hyper-threading does not benefit gaming performance and will not probably be used by you considering the horse power in that CPU. Stick with the i5 and you'll be happy.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:33:33 PM

Anonymous said:
please DO NOT budget WATTAGE - go for quality. there are many 750 watts PSUs that can't compete with a quality 550 watts PSU*. i laid out exactly what amperage on the 12 volt rail is needed. if you want a "little headroom" thats great, however getting too large of a PSU has as many drawbacks as getting too small of a PSU.

*look at the amperage on the 12 volt rail, if you see a PSU with a large amount on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails with little on the 12 volt the wattage is over inflated and will not perform as well as a lower wattage PSU.

im not budgeting wattage, im thinking of the future, and if i upgrade my GPU in a couple of years and find i need a new psu just so that it will run, then i will just be spending more money that i could spend on the new GPU
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 9, 2012 11:57:08 PM

In the future, power requirements will be even less.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:49:30 AM

azeem40 said:
In the future, power requirements will be even less.

thats true
now im not sure about my power supply
i will have to think about the cost and reliability of some different brands and wattages
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:33:06 PM

Best answer selected by bradsctt.
m
l
!