dfbhd13

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hey fellas,

just got my delivery today. and just out of curiosity (its been a while since ive bought a graphics card) is the box supposed to come sealed in nylon? or when they say brand new and sealed do they just mean the anti static bag the card is in ?
my box wasn't enclosed in nylon, and the plastic part of the heatsink around where the fan is had 2-3 very small marks on it, not sure if this is normal manufacturing handling marks or if it has been used.

so i pluged everything in and the first time i turned on the computer i was kind of shocked from the noise, the 680 fan was going at full boar (would put my room fan to shame) and nothing showed on the display (lcd blinking as in no signal).

ive tried repositioning, checked the 2x 6 pins and tried the 2 dvi outputs on the back.
i threw my 9800gt back in and it worked fine (i did remove all drivers prior and ran drive sweeper).

after this i checked out my card further and found on the back of the pcb, at the top and the bottem there was sticky substance, not much, but it raised my suspicion.

before i call the store back tomorrow morning i wanted to get some opinions.

thanks

dfbhd13

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Corsair 750TX PSU
Asus P8Z68 v pro / gen 3
i7 2600k at stock 3.4
Corsair H100 (just installed together with the 680, and works fine)
G.skill Ripjaw x dd3 1600
ocz vertex 3 120gb
WD black 1tb
corsair 600t

nothing overclocked, computer is new 1-2 weeks old.

is it worth trying the card in any of the other pcie x16 slots ? there are 3 ( i tested in the top one)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The only thing I can think it might be is an amperage shortage. Make sure you are using two different voltage rails for each 6-pin connected to your graphics card. (almost always a different rail for each different wire cluster coming from the psu, but the manual that came with it will tell you)
The box the card comes in isn't usually vaccume packaged, and the anti-static bag it's in is normal. I don't know about the adhesive you found, though. I doubt it's been used...being a gtx680. Other than that, you said a replacement graphics card works in that slot, so it's gotta be something with the card.

That PSU has more than enough power and amps for your card. Knowing that, all signs indicate you got a reconditioned product (even though these have only been out for a month or so) and defective product or someone sold you something as new that's already been used and defective. The description of the marks and the sticky substance are a further indication of something that was handled beyond the factory.

I would take it back for an exchange. If the store isn't cooperative, I'd contact the manufacturer and get the RMA process started.

When you pay this much for equipment, you don't settle for this type of thing.

Just for the record, both of my 680s came in boxes wrapped in shrink wrap and the cards themselves were wrapped in that plastic that adheres to them similar to those used on a new LED or LCD monitor's screen. Also, in order to open the box, you had to break a manufacturers seal. I would think it's pretty standard that the manufacturer ships this way.

The fan at 100% on these cards can be almost hairdryer loud in SLI. I cranked up the fans to 100% last night using the control in Precision X just to see. The fortunate part is they have never gotten to the point where the fans ramp up to full during gaming or general operation. They are even quiet during the POST.

dfbhd13

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
yeah so the moment i turn on the pc the fan is at 100%, its extremely loud and i put my hand back there to feel the output and it could dry hair!
i tried 4 different pci 6pins same stuff.
i live outside the US so im not sure how RMA works. hopefully the store will be cooperative.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
1. Don't even bother getting this thing to work, sounds too fishy and iffy given the money you paid. Contact the vendor for a new replacement. If that doesn't work move on to step 2:

2. Contact the manufacturer and tell them that the vendor refused to replace the card. Ask them how to RMA a card given your geographic location.

dfbhd13

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

i live outside of the us, i think RMA might be a problem for since everything comes through importers.
should there be a warranty form in the box ?

thanks for the replys guys

Agreed on replacement.

Agreed on PSU being fine.
(also it has a single +12V rail so ignore the comment about using different rail outputs.)

If the VENDOR will replace the card ask if they will SWAP for a different brand if you have reason to question the quality control of the card manufacturer. Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI and EVGA should be quality. There are likely others I just don't have the data on that.

dfbhd13

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

What i have is the Gigabyte one, the box wasnt in perfect condition either, not exactly scratches but some diagonal marks on both sides,i noticed this straight away but figured since it wasnt wrapped and its been shipped here its probably just from that.