How does my internet connection limit my p2p downloads

arqlingua

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hi. I live in Central America part of the year (the rest in SFrisco) and I have a wireless phone-company modem that provides my internet connection. The company I get service from says “their computer/system automatically slows down my internet connection” when I have reached the monthly quota of 1 giga info download limit. In practice, however, it BLOCKS my downloads, as once a p2p download reaches about 15%, the internet and the whole 'puter simply stops working. I have to work a lot on my 'puter and I wouldn’t mind if the downloads took a lot of time, but BLOCK them? That seems contrary to the contract I signed when I got the service, and also contrary even to what the company SAYS it’s doing. I work with an NGO in faraway rural areas, and one of the few entertainments available is getting movies through torrent downloads, so I’d appreciate if you could tell me if there’s a way to circumvent the scam the internet connection company is nailing me with.
Just thought of something: APPARENTLY─and I stress the term─what the company does with my p2p downloads is hack into my 'puter and changes the ‘tracker’ the torrent client is using to convey the torrent to me. What happens is that the wireless modem internet connection is shut down (always some kind of a ‘connection problem’) AND I have to reset the computer. Once the thing is restarted, the tracker-in-use within the torrent is permanently switched to a tracker (‘demonoid’ something or other) that provides no seeders or peers, and it won’t allow me to manually switch to another tracker.
Does anything about this seem probable? Or is it just my ‘banana-country company’ paranoia…
Thanks for your time.
Ed ─ elinaresbatres@gmail.com

arqlingua

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yes, the internet does work well in the rest of its doings. About the ‘illegality’ of that particular net use, I suppose you’re aware that downloading p2p (that’s an interchange of data from a particular individual to another particular individual) is debatably legal and moral even in the U.S.; and in many parts, perhaps even most, of the rest of the world, it’s illegal to in any way impede that flow of info. You wouldn’t by any chance be one of those persons ─microsoft, etc.─ who, within the U.S., profit from that rather questionable attitude? On a slightly more profound depth of intellectual pursuit, might I remind you that even the most innovative of human endeavors stands thoroughly on the shoulders of what countless other generations of persons have done in the past. It’s called ‘cultural inheritance,’ and the concept is inextricably embedded into U.S. legal structure; even patent-rights have caducity, recognizing that what individuals ─which includes corporate individuals─ do is always based on what society has given. Perhaps a bit more general-education prior to snidely opining … ?
Eduardo Linares-Batres

Actually the only "debatable" part is if you take a movie/song you own already, and copy it for your own use. If you download a torrent without ever buying the item, it's not even close to legal or moral. I really doubt there is any human progress being made when people download pirated movies. I guess they get free movies.

arqlingua

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Thank you for your replies. Hope you’ll understand if I don’t bore myself by repeating my previous comments on your individual opinions.

TRENDING THREADS