Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Leaving the desktop on the floor on a granite slab vs desk

Last response: in Components
October 7, 2012 4:10:31 PM

Hi I am trying to save real estate on my desk and would like to leave my desktop on the floor, with a big granite floor tile under it (2' by 1'), my room temperature is above 29 all the time. My case is a corsair obsidian 550d, which has the two stock intakes at the front and one stock exhaust at the back, I have added two coolermaster sickleflow 120mm to the top panel as exhaust and one coolermaster 140mm blue led silent fan. I have a Hyper 212 EVO and arctic silver 5 on the way, dust filters on the side panel and front of the case.

Please advise me on the recommended placement of the fans I should once the hyper 212 evo comes and I put my desktop on the floor.
October 7, 2012 9:07:18 PM

Fans seem to fine the way you have it set up. Setting a PC on the floor wont hurt it, but it will gather dust vary easy tho, Just walking by it and pets scratching by it or playing in front of it will push the dust and hair in the air and into the PC fans, so more cleaning really. But it wont hurt it at all. You can use the floor tile to make sure the air does flow under the case for like the powersupply or intake fan at the bottom if you have 1.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:00:27 AM

Viking2121 said:
Fans seem to fine the way you have it set up. Setting a PC on the floor wont hurt it, but it will gather dust vary easy tho, Just walking by it and pets scratching by it or playing in front of it will push the dust and hair in the air and into the PC fans, so more cleaning really. But it wont hurt it at all. You can use the floor tile to make sure the air does flow under the case for like the powersupply or intake fan at the bottom if you have 1.

I have an hx750 which which is bottom mounted, I am not sure whether than fan is an intake or outtake, do you know?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 8, 2012 7:25:57 AM

I also have a HX750. The fan is an intake which then exhausts out the back of the case. You will be fine to put it on the floor. If you have a spare fan, you could have an intake on the bottom. This should create positive pressure and help keep dust out. In terms of cooling, cool air normally sinks, so the temperature may even improve by a degree depending on the natural convection of the room.
October 8, 2012 11:35:28 AM

Thanks Jay-z, Also does anyone know if putting one of those coolermaster sickleflow fans on the side panel is bad for the motherboard, because it is a 2000 rpm 12 cm fan ?
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:43:45 AM

I doubt it would cause any damage to the motherboard but could be quite loud.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:19:32 PM

Its not loud, I am using two of them as exhaust fans, thanks
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:20:22 PM

Best answer selected by claw999.
m
l
!