New build $1500

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
You've got the right outline. But I think you're spending too much on a few things, though the question is whether you want to just save money on them or try to get a crossfire/SLI setup.

*Except for rare situations, you don't need a sound card on a modern PC. Unless you have some ridiculous audiophile equipment, don't bother. That saves you $88.

*You're spending too much on that mobo. Just get a cheaper Z77 ASUS if you're committed to the brand, or the ASRock extreme4 if you're not (about $140). If you live near a micro center, you can dramatically reduce your CPU+mobo costs.

*Some people might complain about OCZ. I don't know enough about the vertex 4 to say. But you can likely find a better value and/or larger capacity drive with your budget.

If you have leftover money, you should seriously consider moving from a single 670 (which is a fantastic choice, don't get me wrong) to a crossfire 7850 setup. It's only about $80 more (the price of your booted sound card) for 7850, and the performance gains are significant.

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
Hey guys! I recently started thinking about getting a new desktop computer, and I decided it would be a good and fun experience if I builded it myself! So after browsing the internet and reading review after review, here's a build that I came up with that is in my budget and seems like it would satisfy all my needs. Note, my budget is around $1500 for the computer or about $1700 for the computer and the monitor. Also, I will be using this computer primarily for gaming, but will also be streaming gameplay along with editing video, but I don't think it would be enough to justify buying a processor with more hyperthreading. So here I go!

MOBO + CPU combo: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE + Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz ($480)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GTS (Black) ($125 including S+H)
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW ($420)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($34)
PSU + RAM combo: Corsair TX750 V2 750W + Corsair Vengeance 8GB 4GB x 2 ($150 + $20 MIR)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($100)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB ($130)
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($26)
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX[/ur] ($88)
Monitor (Preferred): [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049]ASUS VW246H 23"
($160 on Ebay)

Total: $1713 OR $1693 after MIR (I think I did that right?)

I would prefer to keep the graphics card as a Nvidia one, but other than that, I don't really care about the brand for the other stuff. My biggest question about this build, other than the compatability and stability of it, would be with the mobo. It says it includes some thing ASUS calls WiFi Go! I presume it to be similar to a wireless network card that you attach to your computer to gain access to wifi networks, instead, you just stick it on the mobo, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Also, I really like the look of the Thermaltake Level 10 GTS, but I've heard that there may be some issues in the quality of construction, albeit, not major ones. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

I like everything about that build with the exception of the Seagate drive. I would go with WD Caviar Black:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

I haven't trusted Seagate since they bought Maxtor and started incorporating their production processes. This is because every Maxtor I ever owned died just outside the warranty period.

The WD Black even has a 5-year warranty as opposed to the Seagate's 1-year. That's telling you something right there.

You should also consider going to the TX850 PSU if you're going to be going with an SLI setup and overclocking at all. This will give you some added cushion.

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
Ok, I think I'll drop the audio card then and stick with integrated audio. So how about this for the SSD? It's almost the same size, but much cheaper. I've also heard that it's a pretty solid SSD as well. I've also decided to take up your offer and purchase the ASRock Extreme4 board in a combo with the western digital caviar black 1TB HDD as seen here. Finally, I also was told on another forum that I didn't need the 750w of power and around 500w would suffice for one GPU. Since I'm probably going to stay with the single 670 gpu for not (sorry motorneuron) I will go with the Corsair TX650W + 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM combo as seen here for $130 (or $120 after MIR). I think that it should have enough juice for some overclocking of the processor and the GPU (I remember hearing something about overclocking Ivy Bridges with underclocking the power to them?). Finally, I am going to go with the i7 processor over the i5 due to the additional hyperthreading helping with my streaming for $346 here. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Changed my post a little regarding the TX650 combo. Was first responding only to motorneuron but I guess I'm a little late back to the party...

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Those look like good changes, and really, the 670 is a great card, so I'm not offended!

However, I don't think you need to bother with an i7. Hyperthreading is nice, but few consumer-grade programs take advantage of multiple threads. As long as you're sticking to less intense workloads, save yourself the money for now and put it in your shoebox for a second 670.

I guess the only other thing you might consider is a 120 Hz or 3D monitor. I know those technologies are a bit new, but 120 Hz creates a much better experience than 60. (Think back to the days of CRT--nobody ever ran a monitor on 60 Hz!)

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
Well I also decided I'm not going to go with the Thermaltake Level 10 GTS anymore and just with a cheaper Cooler Master HAF 912 for $65. This then brings the brand total of the build to $1486 or $1476 after MIR with no monitor. Pretty nice I'd say! Then, after trimming some fat as you guys suggested, I have enough to get a nicer monitor. I'm thinking about getting the ASUS VG236H 23" monitor for $320 on Ebay, which puts my total right at about $1800. Thanks again for all the help!

EDIT: Late again! Well I guess staying with the i5 would be a good idea if I'm saving that money for a shiny new 670 in the future :D. Which would bring my build up to a nice solid $1700 before rebate and $1690 after rebate. Sounds good to me! Thanks and I guess wish me luck for building the damn thing now! :hello:

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hey guys! I recently started thinking about getting a new desktop computer, and I decided it would be a good and fun experience if I builded it myself! So after browsing the internet and reading review after review, here's a build that I came up with that is in my budget and seems like it would satisfy all my needs. Note, my budget is around $1500 for the computer or about $1700 for the computer and the monitor. Also, I will be using this computer primarily for gaming, but will also be streaming gameplay along with editing video, but I don't think it would be enough to justify buying a processor with more hyperthreading. So here I go!

MOBO + CPU combo: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE + Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz ($480)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GTS (Black) ($125 including S+H)
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW ($420)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($34)
PSU + RAM combo: Corsair TX750 V2 750W + Corsair Vengeance 8GB 4GB x 2 ($150 + $20 MIR)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($100)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB ($130)
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($26)
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX[/ur] ($88)
Monitor (Preferred): [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049]ASUS VW246H 23"
($160 on Ebay)

Total: $1713 OR $1693 after MIR (I think I did that right?)

I would prefer to keep the graphics card as a Nvidia one, but other than that, I don't really care about the brand for the other stuff. My biggest question about this build, other than the compatability and stability of it, would be with the mobo. It says it includes some thing ASUS calls WiFi Go! I presume it to be similar to a wireless network card that you attach to your computer to gain access to wifi networks, instead, you just stick it on the mobo, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Also, I really like the look of the Thermaltake Level 10 GTS, but I've heard that there may be some issues in the quality of construction, albeit, not major ones. Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Switch out that Vertex 4 with a 120 GB Scandisk Extreme, costs $100 bucks at the moment on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Drive-SDSSDX-240G-G25/dp/B006EKJ8UI/?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20

Or you can get the 240 GB version of it for $179.99. Performance is on par if not faster than the Vertex 4 due to Scandisk Extreme utilize Toggle Nand and being Tier 1 SSD. This low price won't stay forever so you gotta be quick.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I like everything about that build with the exception of the Seagate drive. I would go with WD Caviar Black:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

I haven't trusted Seagate since they bought Maxtor and started incorporating their production processes. This is because every Maxtor I ever owned died just outside the warranty period.

The WD Black even has a 5-year warranty as opposed to the Seagate's 1-year. That's telling you something right there.

You should also consider going to the TX850 PSU if you're going to be going with an SLI setup and overclocking at all. This will give you some added cushion.

700W is enough for a 670 SLI just saying no need to spend more and if he needs extra cushion, the 50 extra Watts will be it

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
I see what your saying, but even if it doesn't add to 850W, I still prefer the extra headroom. It's always nice to have the watts available even if you're not using them all.
Well I guess the extra wattage will be useful in the future when upgrading components so I might as well just go for the extra wattage with the money I save from all the other stuff.

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
So after reading all your suggestions I have come up with a final (hopefully) build.

PSU + MOBO COMBO: Corsair TX850 V2 750W + ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM + FREE HDMI CABLE: Team 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570k 3.4GHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Monitor: ASUS VG236H

So this amounts to $1706 before the rebate and $1696 after the rebate. This looks great! Thanks you guys for all your help! If there's anything I might change please let me know! (Like maybe a good non-Sandforce controller SDD for around the same price? I hear those Sandforce controllers are prone to BSOD)

AJCpar

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2012
That final build is great. You have the 3D monitor :0, and you allow yourself the possibility to upgrade it to 2x670 in the future, which is awesome. I'm already jealous!
So you think that having 850W is more than enough for powering two GTX 670 cards? I tested my build in the Newegg suggested PSU calculator with two 680 and it said I needed 754W so with two 670 card I would probably only need around 700W? But I also will be planning to upgrade my computer in the future so the extra wattage would be good.

Now just three more final questions.

1. Do I NEED anti static bracelet for when I build my computer? Is it suggested?

2. Do I need a surge protector? And if so, what would be a good one?

3. What's the difference between a USB wireless adapter and one that attaches to the motherboard (In the PCI slot)? Is there really a difference in the two? And finally which would be the best out of this one, this one, and this one? The price range is perfect for me, and I don't think my current internet speeds top 60mpgs download, but I kind of want to be safer and get a 150 mbps card.

Whoops! I guess I went a little over my initial three question estimate, but oh well...