Sign in with
Your question

New build $700

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 5:17:46 AM

cd/dvd drive should only set you back like $20 for a decent one they are fairly cheap unless you want blu-ray. you can usually pick up a decent mid-tower for $50 that will cover your needs my mate has an antec one cant remember the exact model gaming case cost him $55 and its pretty sweet for a mid tower.

imo your rig looks decent for your budget tho one thing i will say is check if wow will take advantage of a 6 core processor because if its not that threaded then you could save a few bucks and get like a quad instead, especially if wow is all you intend to play.

More about : build 700

June 9, 2012 5:18:35 AM

i'm very new to this but i've been looking to build a computer in the 700 dollar range that can run world of war craft perfectly on medium setting and that can run many things at once smoothly. this is my setup.

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

processor and power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

i still need to buy a box (i have an idea what i want) and i also need a cd drive i believe. i need advice on a good cheap all in one drive to use less than 50 bucks.

but this is me winging my first biuld, let me know if some things won't work together and where i'm throwing in too much money and where i'm not spending enough. any criticism is accepted. thanks errbody
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:20:03 AM

i really appreciate the feedback. so out of wow would i notice a lot of speed difference while browsing and just doing school stuff? or would 4 be sufficient for that? and if i did cut down on a processor where could i put that money that would be most beneficial"?
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 5:21:15 AM

benikens said:
you can usually pick up a decent mid-tower for $50 that will cover your needs my mate has an antec one cant remember the exact model gaming case cost him $55 and its pretty sweet for a mid tower.

The Antec case he's referring to is either the Antec 100 or the Antec 300 (basic or illusion model).

Save yourself money and get a AMD Phenom II X4 955BE and a CM212+ cooler for OC'ing to the 980be speeds (easily done).

Majority of games today that's is based on dual cores with newer ones benefiting from tri cores and quad cores or more (bf3 it seems).

That PSU is junk by the way.

You want a 80 plus one from a quality manufacturer such as Seasonic / XFX/ Antec / Corsair with at least 32 amps on the 12v rails (ea430d/cx430 v2) for a medium end GPU.

Your rig should run something like this...

Phenom II X4 955be
Asus 880 AM3 mobo
2x2gb DDR3 ram
Spinpoint F3 1tb HDD or WD Caviar Black
AMD 6850 / GTX 460 768mb (if you can find it) or gtx 550ti --> bare minimum
A good budget case such as an Antec 300 or Coolermaster Elite 430

m
l
June 9, 2012 5:22:49 AM

browsing and general school work probably wouldn't notice a difference between 4 or 6 cores. Most beneficial for gaming always start on graphics card but a 460 your already looking at is a decent card, probably your best bang for buck card atm. What are you intending to use for hdd? perhaps chucking the left over coin on a fast mechanical drive would help. plus storage is always a win, a 7200rpm mechanical drive might be a decent investment if you don't already have fast storage. otherwise my personal favorite part i bought for my computer when it comes to wow was my razor naga mouse, it's not cheap ~$79 US (cost me $100 AUD) but them extra buttons are awesome for mmo's.

Quote:
Phenom II X4 955be
Asus 880 AM3 mobo
2x2gb DDR3 ram
Spinpoint F3 1tb HDD or WD Caviar Black
AMD 6850 / GTX 460 768mb (if you can find it) or gtx 550ti --> bare minimum
A good budget case such as an Antec 300 or Coolermaster Elite 430

^+1

and yeah i think it's the antec 300 my mate has
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:24:43 AM

ok does the ram have to be 204 or 240 pins? and does it matter what the 7-7-7-20 ratio or whatever is?

and in a graphics card isn't a 1gb better than 768mb?
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:25:52 AM

The ram your after is 240 pins, 204 is for laptops. when it comes to the 7-7-7-20 stuff thats just the timings of the ram, the lower the numbers the better but don't get to hung up on it. and yeah with graphics cards the more RAM the better usually, a larger amount is needed for like higher resolutions esp.
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:26:51 AM

More ram is not necessarily better for GPU. What would a 6570 do with 1gb of ram is beyond me..

And anyways im just sayin a gtx 460 768mb /gtx 550 ti is bare minimum when it comes to nvidia cards.
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:28:39 AM

You need a Dvd drive to install Cataclysm btw, not a Cd so make sure you have a Dvd drive in there ok
Moto
m
l
!