Sign in with
Your question

Major FPS Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2012 5:06:50 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post here. If it is in the incorrect section I apologize. My issue is, I am running extremely low FPS in Dragon Age 2. Between 15-20 fps on low settings everything turned off. Which without the anti-aliasing on, I am getting mis-colored pixelation in the background.

Basically I built my computer in January with the following specifications:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

What could my possible issues? I have tried to remove any C++ junk off my computer, that didn't solve anything. I have ran a few downloads and all my drivers are up-to-date.

Lastly, when I tried to download 3D Mark to give a more accurate information on my setups. It tells me Directx 11 capable hardware is required...

Appreciate anyone's help in advance! I am trying to fix all issues before Diablo 3 goes live.

More about : major fps issue

April 11, 2012 5:15:56 PM

Have you updated your video drivers lately? Also, is Windows fully up to date?

Go here for the latest video drivers (be sure to get either the 32-bit or 64-bit drivers dependent on what version of Windows you are using):

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
April 11, 2012 5:20:57 PM

sounds like your gpu is overheating.
Related resources
April 11, 2012 5:25:11 PM

Besides, Express Uninstall all the previous drivers, go yourself to check if there's an AMD folder in the program files and remove it manually then install the latest drivers from the link provided above.

April 11, 2012 5:31:55 PM

Pcbruin24 said:
Hi there,
What could my possible issues? I have tried to remove any C++ junk off my computer, that didn't solve anything. I have ran a few downloads and all my drivers are up-to-date.

Lastly, when I tried to download 3D Mark to give a more accurate information on my setups. It tells me Directx 11 capable hardware is required...

Appreciate anyone's help in advance! I am trying to fix all issues before Diablo 3 goes live.

Why did you remove the C++ junk (as you referred to it)?

The 3D Mark error message indicates a driver issue.

I recommend that in addition to installing the most current drivers that you fully update Windows (to include putting all the "C++ junk" back in place). Did you, by chance, also remove some of the .Net Framework components along with the C++ components? If so, Windows and Catalyst need those files.
April 11, 2012 5:50:40 PM

@COLGeek - I have updated my video drivers lately.

@Jcurry23 - I have heard my PSU was fine, and others say not so fine. So I am torn here. (Not supplying enough power to keep the GPU cool).

@ilysaml - Okay thank you. I will try this tonight. Some people also suggested to remove the drivers and re-install but nobody was being very helpful on going to the correct location and removing them.

@COLGeek - I was told that some other people who were having similiar issues to me removed them and it fixed their issues. I still have the .net4 framework. Removal of the C++ didn't resolve my issue, so putting them back is not an issue.
April 11, 2012 6:00:26 PM

Removing the AMD (or ATI) folder will not remove the drivers. It will only remove the installation files kept on your system. To completely remove the drivers, you can use the Catalyst install program itself, or an application like Driver Sweeper.

Get Driver Sweeper here:
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
April 11, 2012 6:17:07 PM

I'll try Driver Sweeper. I have the Catalyst program installed (recently added) but it doesn't seem to have half the information that other people have (such as a performance tab)
April 11, 2012 6:32:55 PM

@The Great Randini - Very interesting I will update the BIOS and I will try the xfx site see if that helps.

I am so glad I bought DA 2 in Amazon's spring deal. I would be going insane if Diablo 3 came out and I was having these issues.

Fingers crossed. I will try The Great Randini's response first, if that doesn't do it, then I will unistall all the drivers as also suggested.
April 12, 2012 1:38:24 AM

Pcbruin24 said:
@COLGeek - I have updated my video drivers lately.

@Jcurry23 - I have heard my PSU was fine, and others say not so fine. So I am torn here. (Not supplying enough power to keep the GPU cool).

@ilysaml - Okay thank you. I will try this tonight. Some people also suggested to remove the drivers and re-install but nobody was being very helpful on going to the correct location and removing them.

@COLGeek - I was told that some other people who were having similiar issues to me removed them and it fixed their issues. I still have the .net4 framework. Removal of the C++ didn't resolve my issue, so putting them back is not an issue.

Your power supply, though not the most highly recommended, is fine for your particular configuration. That's not to say that it can't be the cause of your issues as regardless of age or quality, any power supply can fail at any time.
April 12, 2012 12:02:45 PM

I tried the Great Randini's suggestion and it didn't solve the issue.

I used Driver Sweeper last night to remove all my AMD Drivers, didn't have enough time to re-install but I will try that tonight to see if it resolves it.
!