dez7777

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello,
I would like to know if there is any configuration required to swap out a 100 mb switch to a gb switch. The network setting are perfect and I dont want to screw anything up when I swap out the switches

Solution
some high end switches have a serial port; however, most managed switches use the network connection to configure via web console interface.

do you know the make and model of the switches? best thing is to look it up on the internet.

in the worst case scenario a managed switch that is not configure will behave just like a un-managed switch.

The least thing you should do is log into the managed switch and assign it a static IP matching the local IP scheme before you attach it to the network. Otherwise it will take an IP from the DHCP and it a pain to figure out which IP it has.
if they are un-managed switches, you should be just able to switch them out without creating any problems.

if they are managed switches, configure the new switch to match the configuration of the old one.

Port speed should have no negative affect on your network.

dez7777

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
thank you for your quick response. I have to swap out a switch on this contract job and just wanted to be extra careful. Ive done it before but I'm just trying to make a good first impression. What would indicate that it is a managed switch and do switches have consoles that you can configure the switches?

some high end switches have a serial port; however, most managed switches use the network connection to configure via web console interface.

do you know the make and model of the switches? best thing is to look it up on the internet.

in the worst case scenario a managed switch that is not configure will behave just like a un-managed switch.

The least thing you should do is log into the managed switch and assign it a static IP matching the local IP scheme before you attach it to the network. Otherwise it will take an IP from the DHCP and it a pain to figure out which IP it has.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS