Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a PC primarily for Battlefield 3

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 7:06:24 AM

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a good one.
I am planning on building a PC very soon, mostly for gaming. I will be migrating my primary platform to PC, and am going to be playing Battlefield 3 primarily as far as games.

The build I'm looking at now is below, and I'm definitely looking for input on where I could save any money without skimping the end product, or just any input at all.

- Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Cooler Master DP6-9EDSA-0L-GP CPU Cooler
- ASRock H61DE/S3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
- Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (2X)
- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
- Asus GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card
- Antec 500W ATX12V Power Supply
- Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I am definitely trying to be able to play on higher settings, and from everything I've ready the GTX 570 is a good way to go.
Any ideas, improvements, replacements?

Thanks everyone!
June 9, 2012 7:23:57 AM

Sandy Bridge is obsolete, its been replaced by the 3570K, the 570 is obsolete, its been replaced by the 670. That mobo is horribly cheap and rubbish. Buy a decent Z77 board that won't fall apart when you fart. Up the HDD to 2TB, games are getting porky. Get an OEM version of 7. Double the RAM. Otherwise all good.
m
l

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 7:29:15 AM

How much are you looking to save?

A 2500k with a H61 motherboard is pointless as H61 does not support overclocking. You'll want a motherboard with either a P67/Z68/Z77 chipset if you want to overclock an Intel CPU. If you don't want to overclock, get a i5-2400, or an i5-23xx CPU. But you definitely want a quad core for multiplayer. So do not drop down to an i3.

The video card is a decent choice.

For BF3 you could even use an AMD CPU either an FX-8120 (priced at $170 from Newegg) or a Phenom II 965 (priced at $120 from Newegg) with an AM3+ socket, I'd get one thats either 970 or 990 chipset. Now some people may show up and try to give me an e-flogging about recommending an FX CPU, the fact is benchmarks have proven that Battlefield 3 is GPU limited, and any modern quad core will in fact handle this game.

Let me know what other input you can give with this information.
Related resources
June 9, 2012 7:30:31 AM

Your build is fine. Altho if you arent going to be OCing, drop the 2500k to a 2400. K means its unlocked and can be OCed whereas your motherboard isnt an OC motherboard. Dont listen to the above poster, SB isnt obsolete considering the IB CPUs are basically the same cept for minor changes, and if you do decide to OC SB OCs better and cooler than IB. THe 570 is still a good card, but for the same price you can get a 7850 and that has 2 gb of VRAM and also is a current gen card. BUt the 570 isnt a bad card.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:31:37 AM

Smeg45 said:
Sandy Bridge is obsolete, its been replaced by the 3570K, the 570 is obsolete, its been replaced by the 670. That mobo is horribly cheap and rubbish. Buy a decent Z77 board that won't fall apart when you fart. Up the HDD to 2TB, games are getting porky. Get an OEM version of 7. Double the RAM. Otherwise all good.

With all due respect, Sandy Bridge is not obsolete, in fact the new Ivy Bridge is something of a joke in that it offers no real improvement over Sandy Bridge. The mobo is indeed on the cheap side, the 570 is not "obsolete" either.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:35:08 AM

Smeg45 said:

Obsolete? The new cpu's are marginally better at stock and are near equal when overclocked. The 570 is not obsolete unless your a person with really high standards. I can agree with is your suggestion for a Z77 motherboard, though the Z68 boards are almost the same but cheaper. The Z and P series motherboards from Intel are the only ones that can overclock. They also usually have better build quality.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:37:26 AM

For the record, the only difference between Z68 and Z77 chipset boards is one thing.

The Z68 chipset supports PCI 2.0 the Z77 supports PCI 3.0. Also this has been benchmarked and proven that PCI 3.0 offers no advantage over 2.0.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7...
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:42:21 AM

^ I wasn't really trying to hurt his feelings, I just think that people should show a bit more restraint before dispensing advice that ultimately translates into a real life person investing hundreds of dollars in a computer on our advice. Maybe some people don't take it so personally, but for my I would like to not be ran off this forum because someone built a machine on my say-so and was unhappy with the results.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:46:06 AM

Another thought I have regarding hard drives. I'm a fan of multiple hard drives at lower capacity. Currently I have a 500GB 7200RPM (80 bucks from newegg) drive as my main drive and a 2TB 5900 RPM (cost 120 bucks from Best Buy) drive as my secondary storage.

Most modern cases support at least 4 or more hard drive bays and most modern motherboards will support at least that many hard drives, I say buy more as you have the need.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:48:34 AM

Quote:
Well, he posted in a different thread, with some rather foul mouthed words... i have no respect for him.

I'm pretty sure I found the post you're mentioning.... :o  *looks at boyfriend and asks him if he has a problem with me being fat* :lol: 
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:56:41 AM

Well what can I say? We are a rather odd couple, hes 5'8 and 140 pounds soaking wet, I'm 6'0 240 pounds. Oh well, my guess is smeg is too young to realize that unguarded euphemisms can hurt people's feelings.
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:01:13 AM

Smeg should just keep his trap shut, personal attacks aside from his other post, his advice is terrible.
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:40:28 AM

Smeg45 said:

I own both the GTX 670 and the GTX 570. I would certainly not say the GTX 570 is "obsolete", especially for what the OP needs.

I have also used a 3570K in my system, but personally do not see any reason to upgrade from my SB 2500k.
That is not to say the 3570K is a bad CPU, but it is to say that the 2500k is FAR from "obsolete"

m
l
June 9, 2012 10:40:56 PM

Quote:
Well, he posted in a different thread, with some rather foul mouthed words... i have no respect for him.

Well then *** you too you fat ****.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:01:25 PM

What an idiot. Smeg do us all a favor and just delete your account.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:04:05 PM

Smeg45 said:

Really? Dude, if you're older than 14, I wouldn't tell anybody.

This is not a computer game, the trolling here will get your account deleted by a mod pretty fast. While we do have younger people on these forums, it is expected that you conduct yourself like an adult.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:21:24 PM

Okay thanks for all the quick replies everybody. Here's a few more questions I have.

"You'll want a motherboard with either a P67/Z68/Z77 chipset if you want to overclock an Intel CPU"

Okay, can you recommend any specific quality motherboards with those chipsets for $60-75? That would definitely be helpful considering I would like to at least have the ability to do so.

Also, are there any video cards for under or around $275 (which is the cheapest I can find a GTX 570) that would perform on high settings better ?

Besides what's mentioned above and doubling the RAM to 8 GB the build should be good to go. Is that about right?

Thanks again for the help, I'm looking forward to getting started on piecing it together. Mid July/Early August and I'll have the money to spare where I can go through with it all.

Seems like it will be pretty rewarding in all reality :D 
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:25:06 PM

Smeg45 said:

Anyone else notice he put the number of asterisks in the wrong order? The four shoulda went first genius. HAHA.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:27:43 PM

liveanimals said:
Okay thanks for all the quick replies everybody. Here's a few more questions I have.

"You'll want a motherboard with either a P67/Z68/Z77 chipset if you want to overclock an Intel CPU"

Okay, can you recommend any specific quality motherboards with those chipsets for $60-75? That would definitely be helpful considering I would like to at least have the ability to do so.

Also, are there any video cards for under or around $275 (which is the cheapest I can find a GTX 570) that would perform on high settings better ?

Besides what's mentioned above and doubling the RAM to 8 GB the build should be good to go. Is that about right?

Thanks again for the help, I'm looking forward to getting started on piecing it together. Mid July/Early August and I'll have the money to spare where I can go through with it all.

Seems like it will be pretty rewarding in all reality :D 

In the 60-75 price range, no, you will be very hard pressed to find a quality mobo in that price range. Alot of them will be cheaper quality, and have less power phases (useful for overclocking stability)

at bare minimum I would consider this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can go with the one recon suggested, but keep in mind its an "open box" special.

8GB would be ideal for a modern computer, but 4GB would probably work out okay. You can always add more RAM later if you find that 4GB isn't up to snuff.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:30:13 PM

vrumor said:
Anyone else notice he put the number of asterisks in the wrong order? The four shoulda went first genius. HAHA.

LOL. At least hes censoring himself. We have Proximon for a more final solution.
m
l
June 10, 2012 12:57:42 AM

@ nekulturny

So if that's the bare minimum for a mobo, would you recommend buying one that is a step up from that one?

I'm definitely keeping cost in mind, but I want to building it right to be very important. The way I have it so far taking in consideration swapping the GTX 570 for a 480 and adding about 150 bucks for the mobo I'm right around 1k +/-

m
l
June 10, 2012 1:03:56 AM

Sure, something you should also keep in mind that since you're not planning to order for a few weeks or so things can change, prices on some things may change (although Intel will not drop the price of their Sandy Bridge CPUs despite being a generation old, thats their corp. policy), motherboards may become unavailable, etc...
Be sure to check back before you pull the trigger on your final order, you can always PM me, or Recon.

I would consider this mobo to be the next step up from the Asrock board:

And in the Z77 flavor (no advantage really other than as I mentioned the PCI 3.0)

As you can tell I tend to favor Asus.

Asus sabertooth boards are absolutely awesome motherboards if you can afford them, unfortunately they're a lot more expensive for Intel vs AMD:

m
l
June 10, 2012 1:10:15 AM

Definitely I was somewhat aware of the marker constantly shifting as far as pricing was concerned.

Okay, so I will probably end up going with the second link (Z77) since the price difference is negligible if the product is better.

While I would love to spring for the sabertooth but as it stand I will have to opt out. I do plan to build on it somewhat after I get it completed, so that could be in the queue at some point.

Definitely, I will check back, and it's saved me some time and trouble having helpful people to talk to so thanks.

m
l
June 10, 2012 1:17:49 AM

No problem, don't get me wrong on Asrock, they make very decent boards, my primary objection to them is they're very stingy with their warranties. Other board makers offer longer warranties than Asrock as similar price points.

For example the Z68 board I linked is only a 2 year warranty, any other maker, Asus, Gigabyte generally will offer a 3 year warranty on a $120 dollar board. Asus Sabertooths btw are the longest warranty I've happened to notice (5 year)
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:26:57 AM

Yeah I hadn't even taken into account warranties really. 5 years ?! Wow that is pretty sweet knowing it's top of the line anyways. 3 is nice security as well though.

Going through and having help finding all the parts to put it together myself has already saved me several hundred dollars, and made it possible to do this. I mean for the quality I will be getting in the final build that's right around the estimate I was hoping for. A thousand give or take (more than likely give :D ) a hundred and some change.

m
l
June 10, 2012 3:47:05 PM

Best answer selected by liveanimals.
m
l
!