3750k hardhack thermal paste choice

tentaclegrape

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hello, I am planning to buy a i5 3750k with the intent to apply a better thermal paste. Does anyone know of a good brand or type of paste suitable for it?

CDdude55

Distinguished
Don't pay attention to the thermal paste brand. It makes little to know differance.

Just go with the cheapest you can find. But if you must know a brand then Arctic Silver is generally considered to be a solid brand. Though i wouldn't spend $10 on thermal paste.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Have never heard of thermal paste damaging a CPU. If you have Arctic Silver 5, then just use that.

InvalidError

Titan
The brand may be of secondary importance but the quality of the paste certainly does matter. Poor pastes may have coarsely ground particle that will create gaps rather than fill them while better quality pastes usually have more tightly controlled particle sizes to provide better gap-filling properties.

If you look at thermal paste benchmarks, you see dozens of pastes that use the same fundamental ingredients (zinc oxide, aluminum oxide, graphite, silicone grease) but there often are several degrees difference between two pastes that seem to have identical composition.

InvalidError

Titan

The first generations of Arctic Silver used actual silver and spilling some could actually cause shorts. New versions keep the name but use non-conductive synthetic material instead of silver.

I disagree. Brand doesn't matter but quality does. If you want to go as cheap as possible you'll end up with that white garabge that looks like elmers glue and won't do jack for cooling your CPU. Any of the good quality thermal paste from Artic Silver (5), Artic Cooling (MX-4) or any of the other tested thermal paste will be good enough.

IF you are going to remove the IHS. Liquid Pro is corrosive and can end up destorying the IHS and the heatsink. IMO you are making alot of work for yourself for a very small temp difference. With good quality thermal paste and a good air cooler you can get great temps.

InvalidError

Titan

The temperature gap between cores is normal if the CPU load is uneven. If you have an active core at one end of the chip followed by three idle cores and the disabled IGP, the active core will be much hotter than the idle core next to the IGP since the active core's heat has to travel all the way across the CPU to reach it and that furthest away idle core also has the whole IGP area acting as an integrated heatsink. If the active core is closer to the geometric middle of the CPU, temperatures change more evenly across the whole CPU.

Tentacle, if you're going to remove the IHS, use some form of liquid metal - though it can cause shorts, it's the best for that.

That being said, only remove it if you're going to apply a liquid cooler (a real one, not a closed circuit one) directly to it. If you're just replacing the thermal paste, don't bother, just get MX-4, slap it on there, and not worry about voiding your warranty for 3-4 extra degrees.