How to check my wireless speed

larrwenn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
At one time a windstream (my internet provider) had talked me through a way to check the speed of my connections for my wireless network....I can' find the bookmark this was. Does anyone know how I can check this?

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Do you want to check your local wireless speed, or your connection to the internet?

If you want to check your local wireless local area network, the easiest way is to transfer a file between two computers on your local wireless. There are further utilities you can use, but before I look one up for you, I'd rather know that is what you want.

If you want to check your connection to the internet, try:

speedtest.windstream.net

larrwenn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

THANK YOU....so it is showing that my download speed is 7.22 Mbps and the upload is 1.44 Mbps.....so why is my laptop continually going from four green bars down to 3 yellow and occasionally 2 red......the wireless router is in a different room and this laptop and my husband's X-box are the only things online right now....

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
That sounds like you're using some utility that measures wireless connection strength?

Could be any number of things, including external interference from other sources like Microwaves or radio towers.

Since I don't know what utility you're using, I can't exactly tell you what it is reporting or why.