Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II 1055T vs FX 6100 for multimedia creation/editing

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2012 7:35:26 PM

I've seen a lot of threads about comparing these two cpus from a gaming point of view. But I am going to use my computer mainly for multimedia creation and editing. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, Steinberg Cubase, Propellerhead Reason, and down the road I will be using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. I use Windows 7 as my OS.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T and an ASUS M4A88TD-M mobo with 2x8GB DDR3-1600 and 2x4GB DDR3-1333 RAM. My RAM runs at 1333MHz, but since my mobo can only handle 16GB total RAM, only 16GB of the 24GB is utilized.

After I moved, I was setting up my computer, and I accidentally plugged a 12V power adapter into a 5V 7-port USB hub, which sent an electrical charge through the usb chord into my computer and blew my PSU and ASUS mobo! I'm getting the computer tested to see if the cpu, hdd, or ram were affected. But if they were, and I need to get a new cpu, I am deciding whether to get the Phenom II 1055T or the FX 6100. I am probably going to get a Gigabyte AM3+ mobo in either case, since I need a new mobo.

I was looking on http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/675/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6...(125W).html and it seems that a lot of the benchmarking software scored the Phenom higher than the FX. It also seems that the Phenom does better than the FX on single-threaded situations, regardless of how many processes are running. But the FX does better on multi-threaded situations.

So does anyone have any experience with the Phenom or the FX for multimedia creation and editing? Is either of them particularly better? Thanks.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:45:23 PM

More then likely your old 1055T is fine, I seen these things take a hell of a beating with mosfets catching fire, shorting them out while overclocking and 90% of the time the CPU is fine.

But if not Personally I would choose the FX-6100 due to price right now, I can't seem to even fine the 1045t at a good price. I think the failure of the bulldozer line drove the Phenom II x6 prices up. The 1055T is faster at just about everything compared to the 6100, but isn't by a huge margin, You could always OC the 6100 to 4gh+ on stock volts and beat the 1055t at stock.

Also if your willing to spend the extra cash and Want to stick with AMD, get the Bulldozer FX-8120 for 169.99 at newegg.

If you want to build a new system with Intel I would get the i5 2400k or if you want to spend more for an i7 go for it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:56:52 PM

dEhiN said:
I've seen a lot of threads about comparing these two cpus from a gaming point of view. But I am going to use my computer mainly for multimedia creation and editing. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, Steinberg Cubase, Propellerhead Reason, and down the road I will be using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. I use Windows 7 as my OS.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T and an ASUS M4A88TD-M mobo with 2x8GB DDR3-1600 and 2x4GB DDR3-1333 RAM. My RAM runs at 1333MHz, but since my mobo can only handle 16GB total RAM, only 16GB of the 24GB is utilized.

After I moved, I was setting up my computer, and I accidentally plugged a 12V power adapter into a 5V 7-port USB hub, which sent an electrical charge through the usb chord into my computer and blew my PSU and ASUS mobo! I'm getting the computer tested to see if the cpu, hdd, or ram were affected. But if they were, and I need to get a new cpu, I am deciding whether to get the Phenom II 1055T or the FX 6100. I am probably going to get a Gigabyte AM3+ mobo in either case, since I need a new mobo.

I was looking on http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/675/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6...(125W).html and it seems that a lot of the benchmarking software scored the Phenom higher than the FX. It also seems that the Phenom does better than the FX on single-threaded situations, regardless of how many processes are running. But the FX does better on multi-threaded situations.

So does anyone have any experience with the Phenom or the FX for multimedia creation and editing? Is either of them particularly better? Thanks.

For your purposes the 1055 looks to be better . Iwas in the same boat , have an 1100t and a 1090t , wanted to upgrade when the FX came out , but for my uses the 1100 and 1090 beat the 8 cores , going to wait for Piledriver and hope they are winners . So far the 1100 and 1090 are good enough , running at 3.8 and 3.7 . Hope the AM3+ BOARDS WILL NOT HAVE TO BE UPGRADED AT THE TIME .
m
l
October 8, 2012 6:32:22 PM

Thanks @jerry6 and @Viking2121 for the replies. Hopefully only my mobo and psu suffered. If not, I think I'll go with whichever is cheaper, and upgrade in a couple of years once Piledriver comes out.
m
l
!