Do I need a computer case for the time being?

Jeffdom55

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Could I just run a open bed, or would this not be wise? I wanna get a nice Monitor, and I've already went over budget. Perhaps only intill money starts to roll around. Thoughts?

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Well an open bed system is probably not ideal, but I would advise against it considering something could get on it or worse you hitting it or something hitting it or breaking it. They have open air cases but they may be pricey. Try to look around for one, or even a cheap case. Try not to be too cheap considering its housing your hardware.

Breadboarding is encouraged
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Haha. I went to a friends house one time and he had an open bed system on the floor. It was at night and I ended up stepping on his 600$ rig. Hah... were not friends anymore! XD

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Considering its an open air case it can depend on your room airflow and temperature as well, but most likely you will see nice temps. because of it just not be enclosed in anything so nothing is stopping airflow. I would say go for it. Just watch out for anything that could step on it or damage it.

Hi

depending on Country you are in it may be illegal as PC's generate electromagnetic interference which may cause problems with your radio, TV & HiFi equipment or neighbours who could report you.

A metal case or plastic case with conductive coating helps prevent radio frequency interference

If playing games or other heavy load on cpu + gpu you may need to put a electric fan near by to help with cooling.

A well designed case + extra fans is better than no case and the metal case helps conduct heat away from hard disks

finally there is safety risk if there are any young children in household.

PC Cases (without power supply) need not be very expensive

regards

Mike Barnes