Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I buy this PC and upgrade it or start from scratch.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 9, 2012 11:20:25 AM

HP pavilion a6614f

AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core
6 GB DDR3 Memory
*UPGRADE* Brand New - 1 TB hard drive (model: Samsung HD103SI)
Lightscribe DVD-Multi
All in one card reader
dual out vga/dvi video card
*UPGRADE* Brand New 500w coolermaster PSU
Windows 7 Professional
geforce 8400GS

Resolution: 1366x768

For: Gaming, Browsing the web.

I am getting the PC for $300.
Anonymous
June 9, 2012 11:46:53 AM

a geforce 8400GS is NOT for gaming . .i'd pass on this.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 11:49:46 AM

For 300 dollars its a great buy really id get it AND ADD a good vid card and you can have decent cheep gamer for under 500..
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 12:15:40 PM

robustus64 said:
For 300 dollars its a great buy really id get it AND ADD a good vid card and you can have decent cheep gamer for under 500..



Exactly what I planned todo.

I plan to put a videocard thats around $100.

Which card under $150 do you think will run BF3 on medium.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2012 12:20:32 PM

pakisunny360 said:
Exactly what I planned todo.

I plan to put a videocard thats around $100.

Which card under $150 do you think will run BF3 on medium.


please go look at the motherboard:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
its old and will limit what you can upgrade with. that "upgrade" of a cooler master 500 watt PSU is a joke . .PASS on THIS!
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 9:23:50 PM

Anonymous said:
please go look at the motherboard:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
its old and will limit what you can upgrade with. that "upgrade" of a cooler master 500 watt PSU is a joke . .PASS on THIS!



Hmm, so do you think I should buy and upgrade the mobo and gpu. Because the pc im getting comes with windows.

Even after upgrading the gpu and mobo I can still stay under the $500 budget.

WHat build would you reccomend for $500 with windows.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2012 10:22:48 PM

does it come with a installation DVD that has a valid key?
if so is it an OEM version (that is tied to the motherboard) or a retail version (that can be used again) ?

look you're going to end up replacing that joke of a PSU, the CPU and motherboard along with the GPU. for $300 you're buying a case and windows (if you can use it) . . .
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 2:09:24 AM

Hey TY Looniam for the help man, I believe I was quite naive to go ahead and get the deal. The windows is OEM.

Thank You Man.

Thought whats your opinion on this one. It seems okay and its only $290. Has core I3.


Intel® Core i3-2120 Processor
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
1TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVD±RW Drive
Multi-In-One Memory Card Reader
Intel® HD Graphics 2000
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless
Display Not Included

The PowerSpec B352 Desktop Computer is built on the simple concept of More for Less.

Should I buy that and put in a 6770 or something equivalent or higher card in it.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 10, 2012 2:25:20 AM

MUCH better. and rather new :) 
is this from microcenter?
i mean "rather new" because the H61 motherboard that is in it will not upgrade to a ivy bridge CPU that lack of USB3 is a tell tale sign. the 5700 rpm drive is more desirable for storage than an OS drive but you may be able to live with that. and it looks like the PSU is just 300 watts. getting a 6770, actually a 7770 would be much better, might need an upgrade there.
Basiq Series VP450 450 Watt ATX Power Supply $49.99 <-- cheapest upgrade i'd recommend
GV-R777OC-1GD AMD Radeon HD 7770 $139.99 ,-- if you afford it :) 

so if you get that @ $290 and a few upgrades, thats $479.98
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 3:14:20 AM

Anonymous said:
MUCH better. and rather new :) 
is this from microcenter?
i mean "rather new" because the H61 motherboard that is in it will not upgrade to a ivy bridge CPU that lack of USB3 is a tell tale sign. the 5700 rpm drive is more desirable for storage than an OS drive but you may be able to live with that. and it looks like the PSU is just 300 watts. getting a 6770, actually a 7770 would be much better, might need an upgrade there.
Basiq Series VP450 450 Watt ATX Power Supply $49.99 <-- cheapest upgrade i'd recommend
GV-R777OC-1GD AMD Radeon HD 7770 $139.99 ,-- if you afford it :) 

so if you get that @ $290 and a few upgrades, thats $479.98



I noticed the power supply too. Thank You so much man, I am so happy because for under $450 I can get a decent gaming rig.

I am getting the power supply you reccomended. and the graphic card is 6770 right now. I am trying to sell my HP Touchpad which I haven't used for like 3 weeks.

I am going to sell that. For now I will score that PC itself. It should suffice for a week. Next sunday I can get the better graphic card and the new psu.

Thank You so much man. Getting the PC tomorrow.
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
June 10, 2012 3:20:13 AM

sweet. just know that PSU has one 6 pin connector for a graphics card. the most you can get is one that draws less than 150 watts. but that should be enough . .happy to help :) 
Share
June 10, 2012 3:30:24 AM

Best answer selected by pakisunny360.
m
0
l
!