Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 uses too much ram while no programs are open

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2012 8:29:56 AM

Hello,
i have the same problem my ram uses 2.8/3.8 out of 6gb on windows 7 64bit idle just when its started up it uses directly 2.8/3.8 gb of memory when i opend task manager and looked for the processes and just calculated them all i didnt came above 1 gb not even close to it how is this possible
January 25, 2012 8:36:15 AM

If you have a default installation you will have the superfetch service running.

Superfetch will load the applications you use the most to memory, so that they are ready for use "instantly" when you launch them.
m
l
January 25, 2012 8:48:55 AM

dont really think i have anything like that even in safe mode i had 1.2gb used while only svchorst was running at 100 mb en explorer on 90mb that was the most used
still alot was taken i dont get it and in normal mode when i launch a game after a while it gets full up to 5.9 and my computer get really slow and when i just close the game and all the other programms it takes like 30 mins to get back in 3gb whit nothing running and then its just starts over again
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 8:52:42 AM

and this all started when i had to reinstall my windows because of the tech support from dell its there usual step
m
l
January 25, 2012 9:56:29 AM

You will not see the amount of memory used by superfetch using the task manager.

Here is a good explanation of superfetch.

When you reinstalled did you also install all chipset drivers?

Sounds like when it slows down it is due to excessive use of the pagefile.

Could you please list the components of the PC?

Checking for malware would also be a good step to do if you experience slowdowns or unexplained memory usage.
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:36:23 AM

i have ran spyware doctor on my computer found nothing but tracking coockies and i have installed malware bytes antimalware pro and avg internet security pro
my computer specs are
intel core i7 930 @ 2.80 Ghz
Duel Amd 6870 1024mb CrossfireX enabled
1.5 terabyte raid stripe(0)
6gb DDR3 memory running at 1866 Hmz
windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:38:26 AM

yes i have all drivers installed i think no warning not even in AVG pc Tuneup
m
l
January 25, 2012 3:47:25 PM

even when i reinstalled windows after the installation i am still useing 2gb of ram nothing installed
m
l
January 25, 2012 6:03:44 PM

Hmm sounds odd, looking in task manager, what is the amount of "Available memory"?
m
l
January 25, 2012 7:51:58 PM

well now i installed some programms cause i have to whit only 4 applications running im useing 3gb alrdy and those apps are skype windows live mail windows live messenger and google chrome the availeble amount is 3120mb
in cache 3089mb total 6134
free 157mb
please help me please i want this fixed badly but im out of clues i just dont know what to do now normal i kinda understand computers very well but this is just i dont know cant figure out what this is i even tested a single module of ddr3 every time and started up separate still full
m
l
January 25, 2012 7:53:11 PM

if its superfetch how do i disable it?
m
l
January 25, 2012 7:56:10 PM

i see disableing is not recommanded the superfetch service but my memory will finnaly go till its maxx 5.99 and then my computer is going to lagg super badly what do u guys recommand or does my problem have nothing to do whit it please help me
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 8:24:45 PM

??? are you having a problem with the computer running all the programs you want to run or are you just THINKING that you will have??.
Open up a few programs, then run a game and see if game play is effected.

Windows will "grab" a fair amount of ram, BUT it gives it back as programs request memory.
m
l
January 26, 2012 7:28:19 AM

well if i play a game before i reinstalled didnt play a game after the reinstallation cause of its still updateing but before that it took some memory whit google chrome including youtube player open skype including calling whit it windowslive mail windowslive messenger logged in and then the game is wow then it just goes full to 5.99 not directly but after a while and then i am start lagging very badly my computer freezez so i close all apps running and then it takes some time approx 15 mins then the memory is back to 1-2gb nothing running or i have to restart my computer if it takes to long
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:24:46 AM

waqam said:
well now i installed some programms cause i have to whit only 4 applications running im useing 3gb alrdy and those apps are skype windows live mail windows live messenger and google chrome the availeble amount is 3120mb
in cache 3089mb total 6134
free 157mb

If you close these and let it idle for a bit, what is the amount of available memory then? ie just Windows and normal services started.

Also, how is your pagefile configered?
m
l
January 26, 2012 11:01:16 AM

btw... pre-fetching is a good thing, and doesn't negatively impact system performance.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 11:46:51 AM

Hello waqam;

Windows 7 is smarter than all of us. Let it do it's thing. It's good for you and your system's performance.
m
l
January 26, 2012 12:59:54 PM

well in safe mode i have 1.6 gb running my friend has all those programs running whit 1.8 gb he has windows 7 home premium 64 bit aswell

so u guys think i have to disable superfetch?
and if i should how do i do it??
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:01:19 PM

WR2 said:
Hello waqam;

Windows 7 is smarter than all of us. Let it do it's thing. It's good for you and your system's performance.

yes i want to but its getting filled then till its maxx and then my computer gets slow very very very slow :p  dont see how that can be good
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 1:02:17 PM

Im thinking it's something you've done to changes things around for the worse.
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:03:56 PM

lothdk said:
If you close these and let it idle for a bit, what is the amount of available memory then? ie just Windows and normal services started.

Also, how is your pagefile configered?

dont laugh but i dont know what my page file is and where i can find its just reinstalled windows 7
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 1:04:38 PM

For testing when not connected to the internet:
Turn off malware bytes antimalware pro and avg internet security pro.
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:05:09 PM

WR2 said:
Im thinking it's something you've done to changes things around for the worse.

what do u mean i havent changed anything yet cause the system in just reinstalled yesterday and just normal programs are on it please explain what i can do
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:07:10 PM

WR2 said:
For testing when not connected to the internet:
Turn off malware bytes antimalware pro and avg internet security pro.

yea oke ill do that it prob will stil be over 1.4gb cause the first time when windows was done installing it was on 1.7gb after the driver installation it was on 1.4 after updates the same
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 1:09:20 PM

Seriously..it's NOT a problem for Win7 to be using RAM.
What good is the RAM if it's not getting used to support your system?

Now that problem with lagging and freezing - that's bad. And with a system like your's it should be happening. It didnt happen before you did the reinstall - did it?
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:15:53 PM

WR2 said:
Seriously..it's NOT a problem for Win7 to be using RAM.
What good is the RAM if it's not getting used to support your system?

Now that problem with lagging and freezing - that's bad. And with a system like your's it should be happening. It didnt happen before you did the reinstall - did it?

oke
and well the first time i received it i didnt had the problem but then i had to reinstall it because of the dell tech support had a small issue whit my crossfire after that this problem occured the ramm gets filled and filled till its maxx then the computer slows down my games are going to lagg and then it just freezez. some ppl say its cause of superfetch is disabled now some say diffrent things
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2012 1:18:53 PM

waqam said:
the first time i received it i didnt had the problem
I think that kinda shows something else is going on in your system.
I'm guessing you didnt have antimalware pro and avg pro running then back then?
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:20:04 PM

WR2 said:
I think that kinda shows something else is going on in your system.
I'm guessing you didnt have antimalware pro and avg pro running then back then?

i did had i never changed software cause i like those 2 security programs the only new program is google chrome i had mozzila firefox back then as webbrowser
m
l
February 1, 2012 7:55:05 AM

can someone please help ?
m
l
February 3, 2012 9:58:03 AM

Boot your computer and when the hard disk light stops flickering hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Click processes. How many processes are running? Which ones are eating your RAM?
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:03:19 AM

well in save mode it was just svc chorst or something
just the windows applications
m
l
February 3, 2012 12:32:44 PM

I didn't say boot it into safe mode. Boot your computer and when the hard disk light stops flickering hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Click processes. CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS "SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS". How many processes are running? Which ones are eating your RAM?
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:01:18 PM

that is still svc chost whit 100.000+ kb
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 3, 2012 5:00:56 PM

...Question, where are you getting your RAM usage value from? I think we have a bit of misunderstanding between RAM and Address Space usage...

http://brandonlive.com/2010/02/21/measuring-memory-usag...

In any case, its normal for win7 to eat up lots of RAM at statup. But as other applications need it, RAM for unused background tasks will be moved to disk, freeing up space.

In any case, go to start->Run and type 'msconfig'. Disable any unneeded startup programs/services and see if that helps any.
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
February 3, 2012 5:05:44 PM

waqam said:
and this all started when i had to reinstall my windows because of the tech support from dell its there usual step

Did you remember to install your chipset drivers after reinstalling?
m
l
February 4, 2012 6:49:09 AM

waqam said:
that is still svc chost whit 100.000+ kb

So you are saying that you have only ONE process running?

For the last time:
Boot your computer and when the hard disk light stops flickering hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Click processes. CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS "SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS". How many processes are running? Which ones are eating your RAM?

For instance, my computer has 31 processes running at bootup and the top 3 RAM users are:
svchost.exe - 82,832K
explorer.exe - 38,424K
dwm.exe - 37,048K

m
l
February 5, 2012 10:20:35 AM

Skype.exe - 87.128KB
wlmail.exe - 72.804KB
Chrome.exe - 41.032KB
msnmsgr.exe - 40.192KB
Rzsynapse.exe - 37.804Kb
Chrome.exe - 35.592KB
AVGIDSAgent.exe - 35.164KB
Thermalcontroller.exe - 28.144KB
svchost.exe - 26.112KB
svchost.exe - 26.059KB
mbamservice.exe - 26.001KB

it has 91 Processes running and this is the top 11
m
l
February 5, 2012 10:22:17 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you remember to install your chipset drivers after reinstalling?

yes i did reinstall the chipset drivers as first when i reinstalled the pc
m
l
February 6, 2012 3:52:54 AM

waqam said:

it has 91 Processes running...

There's the answer to your problem. The more processes you have running, the more your RAM is eaten up, 91 is WAY too many at boot. Try turning off/uninstalling all the useless crap that is starting at boot:

Start-Run-MSConfig-Services. Check the "Hide all Microsoft services box" and start unchecking what you don't need. Google a service if unsure. Next go to Startup tab and do the same.

If you're feeling particularly brave you can try this:

www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-se...

If your computer was pre-built it will no doubt have a ton of crap on it, try this:

www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Turn off Windows Live Mail.

Switch from AVG to Avast!.

Get a mouse whose drivers don't use 37 MB of RAM.

Aim to get the processes down to -40.
m
l
February 6, 2012 7:30:24 AM

Bombhead said:
There's the answer to your problem. The more processes you have running, the more your RAM is eaten up, 91 is WAY too many at boot. Try turning off/uninstalling all the useless crap that is starting at boot:

Start-Run-MSConfig-Services. Check the "Hide all Microsoft services box" and start unchecking what you don't need. Google a service if unsure. Next go to Startup tab and do the same.

If you're feeling particularly brave you can try this:

www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-se...

If your computer was pre-built it will no doubt have a ton of crap on it, try this:

www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Turn off Windows Live Mail.

Switch from AVG to Avast!.

Get a mouse whose drivers don't use 37 MB of RAM.

Aim to get the processes down to -40.

oke oke i had avast but avg seems way better man :p  cause avast doesnt have its own firewall etc and i kinda need windows live mail everyday use but ill do what u sad thank u very much man. it is prebuilt idd but this was after reinstalling it and aye i payed 100 euros for my mouse-.- so kinda a waiste to throw it away
btw can u explain the first link what does it do and where is it for have u done it etc.:p 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2012 11:28:38 AM

Quote:
Skype.exe - 87.128KB
wlmail.exe - 72.804KB
Chrome.exe - 41.032KB
msnmsgr.exe - 40.192KB
Rzsynapse.exe - 37.804Kb
Chrome.exe - 35.592KB
svchost.exe - 26.112KB
svchost.exe - 26.059KB

91? Holy, thats a ton. You have too much stuff running at idle. I don't even realise half those programs...
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:11:27 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:
Skype.exe - 87.128KB
wlmail.exe - 72.804KB
Chrome.exe - 41.032KB
msnmsgr.exe - 40.192KB
Rzsynapse.exe - 37.804Kb
Chrome.exe - 35.592KB
svchost.exe - 26.112KB
svchost.exe - 26.059KB

91? Holy, thats a ton. You have too much stuff running at idle. I don't even realise half those programs...

ye idd but half of those processes are svchost its in the list like 40 times or something ive stopped everything i dont use whit msconfig but i could only manage to go down to 76 at start idle i dont know what else is running so much i kinda need my avg and malwarebytes along whit keyscrambler skype msn and windowslive mail every day
m
l
February 6, 2012 3:42:52 PM

waqam said:

btw can u explain the first link what does it do and where is it for have u done it etc.:p 

Forget about that link, it's for disabling Windows services. I've realized that's not your problem. Focus on disabling processes running at boot. You can do this with the likes of Skype and Windows live mail and probably MSN crap, just have them start when you need them. Go through the rest of your processes and see if there are any more that can be disabled at boot via MSConfig.

Check your uninstall programs list, get rid of useless software, (stuff you'll never use), in there.

Run the PCDecrapifier and ditch anything useless.

You should be able to claw back loads of RAM with these steps.

m
l
February 12, 2012 12:53:33 PM

It used to happen to me I have 4 GB of ram when I started windows 7 the usage was 1.3 after 13 hours the computer was idle the ram usage will go up to 3.9 GB and I had to restart
I fixed it after I reinstalled win 7 3 times now it works the best it ever did
After 2 days up time it only uses 2.1 GB of ram so I hope this info will help you.
;) 
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:11:54 PM

ye i have the exact problem aswell :p  i also reinstalled it but i think it works now
m
l
April 22, 2012 10:15:00 AM

would like to add to this post for anybody else reading this problem if it is like yours and you have done a fresh install of windows to fix the problem try to download and run slim drivers its a free driver service that runs on a cloud type system for finding up to date drivers I run mine once a week and i have found drivers the day of the update ( for my video card ) newer drivers can have the effect of speeding up your system ( utilizing resourses more effecient or just a bit differently to increase productivity of the component it is attached to...) This fixed my problem of something using too much memory on my computer. All I needed was a driver update.

Heres the site to get slim drivers from if anybody needs it...http://www.driverupdate.net/
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:42:53 PM

waqam said:
Skype.exe - 87.128KB
wlmail.exe - 72.804KB
Chrome.exe - 41.032KB
msnmsgr.exe - 40.192KB
Rzsynapse.exe - 37.804Kb
Chrome.exe - 35.592KB
svchost.exe - 26.112KB
svchost.exe - 26.059KB

if you see you have only 85 free which means, system has the rest of the ram cached for something, and most likely it can't release it fast enough*
m
l
October 10, 2013 6:41:44 AM

I know this topic is old but I thought Id add my input.

1: It just started happening.
2: It happens even after reinstall of Windows.

Its most likely Windows Update causing the issue. If it has found updates and you haven't installed them, it will keep running in the background. Quick check.... install the smallest update and check you ram usage immediately afterwards. If it still doesnt change, install them all and reboot.

If it drops... there's you ram thief.
m
l
October 10, 2013 8:08:49 AM

thebytingbullet said:
I know this topic is old but I thought Id add my input.

1: It just started happening.
2: It happens even after reinstall of Windows.

Its most likely Windows Update causing the issue. If it has found updates and you haven't installed them, it will keep running in the background. Quick check.... install the smallest update and check you ram usage immediately afterwards. If it still doesnt change, install them all and reboot.

If it drops... there's you ram thief.

i think your right too bad i didn't think of that last year.
m
l
!