Sign in with
Your question

Right processor for me?

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:33:18 PM

I need help.

I am going to be building a pc, but I am at a loss on what cpu to get? Right now the forerunner is the i5 3570k for $229, however i don't want to spend that much if i don't have to. I am wanting something more around $150, but I dont know a whole lot about AMD cpu's, which are the one's in the price range.

Use:
I am about to go to college for Digital Arts and Design so I will be doing A LOT of motion graphics, graphic design and animation work, along with some programming work on my own. So After Effects, Photoshop, 3ds Max, etc. I also will be doing some gaming but dont need super high graphics (will be getting a 7770).

So if you could help me out in my decision making it would be much appreciated :D  !

More about : processor

October 7, 2012 8:42:16 PM

Also, I am currently using a Pentium T4300 2.1 ghz in a laptop, and doing everything above, so nearly anything and everything is an upgrade.... why do i need to upgrade then? i dont have time for 8 hour renders on a 5 min vid.
October 7, 2012 8:58:48 PM

Because you want to do a lot of video editing and rendering it would be very advisable and beneficial to get an i7 over an i5 due to HyperThreading which would be a large improvement in encoding over a CPU without it.

So perhaps consider a 2600k, or if the budget allows, 3770k.
For an AMD option, I'd advise a Phenom II 1090T or similar, because the FX series just sucks in general.
You may also want t nice GPU because they speed up rendering with hardware acceleration by quite a lot.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:01:08 PM

Noodl said:
Because you want to do a lot of video editing and rendering it would be very advisable and beneficial to get an i7 over an i5 due to HyperThreading which would be a large improvement in encoding over a CPU without it.

So perhaps consider a 2600k, or if the budget allows, 3770k.
For an AMD option, I'd advise a Phenom II 1090T or similar, because the FX series just sucks in general.
You may also want t nice GPU because they speed up rendering with hardware acceleration by quite a lot.

the FX series doesnt suck in non gaming use. its part it slowed down is in gaming. its perfectly fine in a normal use in professional work.

@OP I recommend looking through this thread for general idea of what you might want. Link. Note that the settings are generally at stock. real time performance can be higher when overclocked.
October 7, 2012 9:05:10 PM

ya, budget doesnt allow. my budget is about $1000 and i have already spent $160 of that on a case, psu, and odd. so budget left is $840 for ram, ssd/hdd, os, wireless card(yes i do need this), and a cpu/cooler...
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:05:53 PM

updated my last post with a link
October 7, 2012 9:10:04 PM

dudewitbow said:
updated my last post with a link

again, dont have that kind of money. I need something in the $100 to $200 range.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:12:45 PM

im just using it as a reference that includes both the FX-8150 stock and Phenom X6 1100T. the 8150 is more or less a 8120 that is slightly overclocked, and the 8120 gots for 160$. the data serves as a comparison on what to generally expect
!