Sign in with
Your question

Right processor for me?

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2012 8:33:18 PM

I need help.

I am going to be building a pc, but I am at a loss on what cpu to get? Right now the forerunner is the i5 3570k for $229, however i don't want to spend that much if i don't have to. I am wanting something more around $150, but I dont know a whole lot about AMD cpu's, which are the one's in the price range.

Use:
I am about to go to college for Digital Arts and Design so I will be doing A LOT of motion graphics, graphic design and animation work, along with some programming work on my own. So After Effects, Photoshop, 3ds Max, etc. I also will be doing some gaming but dont need super high graphics (will be getting a 7770).

So if you could help me out in my decision making it would be much appreciated :D  !

More about : processor

October 7, 2012 8:42:16 PM

Also, I am currently using a Pentium T4300 2.1 ghz in a laptop, and doing everything above, so nearly anything and everything is an upgrade.... why do i need to upgrade then? i dont have time for 8 hour renders on a 5 min vid.
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:58:48 PM

Because you want to do a lot of video editing and rendering it would be very advisable and beneficial to get an i7 over an i5 due to HyperThreading which would be a large improvement in encoding over a CPU without it.

So perhaps consider a 2600k, or if the budget allows, 3770k.
For an AMD option, I'd advise a Phenom II 1090T or similar, because the FX series just sucks in general.
You may also want t nice GPU because they speed up rendering with hardware acceleration by quite a lot.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:01:08 PM

Noodl said:
Because you want to do a lot of video editing and rendering it would be very advisable and beneficial to get an i7 over an i5 due to HyperThreading which would be a large improvement in encoding over a CPU without it.

So perhaps consider a 2600k, or if the budget allows, 3770k.
For an AMD option, I'd advise a Phenom II 1090T or similar, because the FX series just sucks in general.
You may also want t nice GPU because they speed up rendering with hardware acceleration by quite a lot.

the FX series doesnt suck in non gaming use. its part it slowed down is in gaming. its perfectly fine in a normal use in professional work.

@OP I recommend looking through this thread for general idea of what you might want. Link. Note that the settings are generally at stock. real time performance can be higher when overclocked.
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:05:10 PM

ya, budget doesnt allow. my budget is about $1000 and i have already spent $160 of that on a case, psu, and odd. so budget left is $840 for ram, ssd/hdd, os, wireless card(yes i do need this), and a cpu/cooler...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:05:53 PM

updated my last post with a link
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:10:04 PM

dudewitbow said:
updated my last post with a link

again, dont have that kind of money. I need something in the $100 to $200 range.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:12:45 PM

im just using it as a reference that includes both the FX-8150 stock and Phenom X6 1100T. the 8150 is more or less a 8120 that is slightly overclocked, and the 8120 gots for 160$. the data serves as a comparison on what to generally expect
m
l
!