Sign in with
Your question

Do I need Full or Mid Tower ATX Case

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 12:55:37 PM

This is my first build and i dont know if i need a full or mid tower to adequately fit my build.

i5-3570K
Hyper 212 EVO
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
ASRock z77 Extreme4
ZOTAC Geforce gtx 670 AMP! Edition
Seagate barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm 6gbps
500W Corsairs PSU

I want to leave room for possible expansion in the future and have the best airflow possible. I thought i needed a full tower, but if i dont i can save some $$. I was about to purchase the Antec DF-85, which has the color scheme, window, and airflow capabilities that i wanted. If i dont need a full tower, do you have any suggestions on high quality mid-towers?
June 9, 2012 2:51:18 PM

You don't need full unless you plan to build a large disk array. Sometimes full will give you cable length problems a smaller case won't.

Most people don't try 3-4 different cases. Maybe start your search with articles like this one http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mana-136-midgard-ii... pick a case that looks nice to you, read reviews at newegg & amazon and then post to see if anyone has tried it.

At the higher end there's some really nice cases. Check thru these reviews: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Cases,...
m
l
June 9, 2012 2:57:55 PM

What kind of expansion? If you want to Sli In the future then you must get a higher watt psu, actually you need a higher one now because the minimum for a 670 is 500w and then you need some headroom to OC your cpu. Either way if you want to maintain the best airflow I would just say go with a full tower. The more space you have, the better airflow. Personally, I would recommend a HAF 932 or a Antec 1200v3. Although the HAF xm is a great midtower
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 3:18:00 PM

I would strongly recommend a Corsair Graphite 600T or the Graphite 600T White, they are mid tower cases with excellent airflow,
Great build quality, great cable management, and it's big enough to put pretty much anything inside it.
The White Edition has also got a side window and some White LED fans, looks great imo.
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:10:45 PM

I've never been a big fan of full tower cases. Any mid tower case will in most cases hold everything you need, including super sized graphic cards. The only time I would ever suggest or buy a full case is, when a.) need a lot of optical drives b.) require workstation components c.) require the possibility of adding LOTS of hard drives (4+)
m
l
May 5, 2013 4:23:48 PM

Shop around and look at the measurements of the cases in the specs.A pretty good mid tower that is cheap is the HAF-912 or HAF-922.They have good air flow(HAF means high air flow) and plenty of space for aftermarket cpu cooling.
m
l
!