Sign in with
Your question

Intel 3770 vs. 3770K

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2012 9:20:25 PM

I'm working on a new build and decided to get the Intel Core i7 3770. I see that there are a couple variations and wondering what the differences are between the 3770 and the 3770K. The 3770 is $20 less so is there any reason to get the 3770K?

More about : intel 3770 3770k

October 7, 2012 11:56:01 PM

The k means the cpu is unlocked and easy to overclock. If this build is for gaming you don't need an i7 just get an i5 3570k. Now if you're going to be doing some video editing or other cpu intensive stuff get the i7.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 1:21:02 AM

As strife_ff7 pointed out, ´K´ means that you can overclock the cpu -- even if you are not planning to overclock it now, it worth to spend extra $20 in a ´K´ version, so that in the future, when your cpu is outdated you can overclock it and get extra speed.
Related resources
October 8, 2012 1:27:14 AM

I don't plan on doing any overclocking, but you're right, for only $20 more, it's worth it to have the option.

I do plan on doing some video editing with Premier so looking for fast processing speed. Would video editing be mostly cpu intensive or gpu intensive? I would imagine more cpu and gaming would be more about gpu.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 1:30:39 AM

video editing will be cpu intensive.
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
October 8, 2012 1:31:16 AM

You also need a motherboard that supports overclocking which would either have a Z75 or Z77 chipset.

You also need to buy a heatsink for the i7-3770k since the standard heatsink that comes with the CPU is not meant of cooling an overclocked CPu.

If this is purely a gaming rig, then you should drop down to an i5-3570k. i7 CPUs have HyperThreading (HT), but games do not take advantage of it. HT tends to decrease gaming performance by 1% - 2% on average, but sometime more.
a c 479 à CPUs
a c 118 å Intel
October 8, 2012 1:32:27 AM

Video editing can make use of HT as long as the program is designed to take advantage of it.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 1:34:03 AM

You don't need a K edition for overclocking. Non-K editions can overclock by about 20% in Turbo* and the non-K edition versions of the same model number that has a K edition are partially unlocked and can go up four notches IIRC. K editions are just for great overclocking, not for all overclocking.

*Only applies to i5s and i7s. i3s and below do not support Turbo.
October 8, 2012 1:43:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing any heavy gaming like modern FPS. It'll be more strategy games which are graphically intense, but not like FPS that need great frame rates and such. I think any middle of the road GPU can handle Civ 5 and the new SimCity.

Video editing is something I haven't been able to do on my current PC which has bothered me. Thus why I'm spending money on the i7 instead of an i5. Plus loading up on memory. I'll be doing programming as well so will need to be able to render programs and such.
October 8, 2012 2:12:34 AM

I wonder, would an OC'ed i5 match a stock i7 through higher clock rate?
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 2:26:39 AM

A Bad Day said:

depends on situation and how well a program can utilize the extra l3 cache and hyper threading an i7 has.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 2:28:19 AM

A Bad Day said:

For gaming, the two are already indistinguishable. For work that can use the i7's Hyper-Threading more optimally than gaming does, an i5 would need a 15-30% higher CPU frequency to catch an i7 of the same family. i7s are slightly better at overclocking than i5s, so that's not exactly important for the i5s.
!