Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build - Mini-ITX

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2012 2:12:37 PM

Build I am thinking about, would like to run it by everyone first:

I really wanted to try a small form factor build, and really like the way this case looks:

CASE: Silverstone FT03 Mini, means I pretty much have to get the small
PS: SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W and I hope to track down a slot loaded Blu Ray drive.

CPU: i5 3550 - $220
MB: ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 - $110
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II - $230
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB - $50
SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 - $100

I have a HD that I will put in as well.

I don't plan to overclock. It will be my everyday computer, I will use it for games. Any places you can see saving some money, or spending a bit more for something worthwhile?

And, I'll have to buy a new version of Windows 7, but it makes me feel like I'm being cheated, (moreso than usual, when giving MS my money) because I heard that buying a prebuild PC with 7 you can upgrade to 8 for only $15, buying the boxed software provides no similar benefits. Am I stuck, if I want to use Windows?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 4:04:07 PM

I would consider...

Not getting rip jaws RAM since the heat spreaders are huge on them, and you'll need every bit of room you can get.
Is the PSU the right form factor? Just makin sure.
Maybe look into a low profile CPU cooler, but I don't suppose it's really necessary. Just watch those temps in that small case.

Other than that, seems like a winner to me. Have fun!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 4:15:23 PM

I'm in the process of building a mITX rig myself. Went with the Lian Li PC-Q08 since the FT03 mini didn't fit my needs.

I agree of the RAM heat spreaders.

Buy an OEM copy of W7 from Newegg. I bought mine this morning since they have a promo code for Home Premium 64 bit for $80 instead of $100. It is a full version, not an upgrade, but you just can't transfer it from PC to PC. Only good for today so act fast if it works for you.

Other than that it should work out. I'm trying to fit similar hardware into a small space. I also have a thread open about other mITX gaming cases in the Cases/PSU forum if you need other options.
!