New to Networking - Advice Tips Very Welcome

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello I recently took up Networking at a local college in my country, I find the subject very interesting but it can be quite overwhelming sometimes, for example:

You have been hired as a consultant to design a network for University of Antigua & Barbuda. The Antiguan Government has decided to merge the three (3) advance learning institutions – ABIIT, State College and Antigua & Barbuda Hotel Training School in a single tertiary education institution. The Government, though still in the planning stage would like to have a Network model that would allow each building/institution to connect to each other. Also, since ABIIT has been the most advance of the three institutions, it was suggested that ABIIT act as the Main office. You as the consultant could give your recommendation as well.
The following is the configuration of each office and the applications in use:
Head Office (ABIIT) 30 Employees 12 computer labs/classrooms (21 computer per class) 20 servers (client server network) Computer Lab seats 30 computers Wireless access needed for students with laptop
Campus 1 (ABHT) 20 Employees 12 computer labs/classrooms (21 computer per class) 1 server
Campus 2 (State College) 50 Employees 60 desktop computers 2 server

As the consultant you are responsible for the following:
1. Network Design
a. WAN topology (fault tolerance)
b. WAN links selection (DSL,T-carriers, ISDN,X.25,Frame Relay, Ethernet,etc)
c. WAN connectivity devices (routers, switches, CSU/DSU,etc)
d. LAN topology
e. LAN Backbone design
f. LAN cable plant (wiring, patch panels, jacks,etc0
g. LAN connectivity devices (routers, switches, hubs, access points,etc)

In your network design proposal you must discuss all alternatives considered for any solution and give the rational for the selection of a specific solution. For example if you chose a T1 connection to connect each branch office to the WAN, you should discuss the alternatives to T1 and why the selection of a T1 was made. You are also expected to select specific devices for your solution. It is not enough to select a switch, you must state in your paper the exact model of the switch, the number of ports and why this switch was chosen over another.
For your network drawings, you must use Microsoft Visio.

Honestly, Im not quite sure where to start, I have a few ideas written down already but I would just like other opinions before I commit to any ideas.

Thank you,
Justin.

Whoa! Most people do not help with homework How about you do the research, and if you have some very specific questions post those.

As far as where to start: break it up into smaller pieces so it is not overwhelming. For example, you might break up each campus and the connection between them and work on each piece.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Ok i get you..here are my ideas so far:

WAN Topology: Star-wired topology as it is capable ov covering long distances and easy to interconnect different network segments

Use a T1 connection to bridge the institutions and high speed dsl for each institution.

For Wiring: STP cabling is feasible but I think fibre-optic cabling would be better.

I dont know much about patch panels and jacks.

And for routers,switches and access points < I dnt know much abt these My instructor said price is not a factor but I think it wouldnt be very feasible to just select the most important components.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated..

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Fault tolerance on a network is like a back-up network connection? Im not really sure what it is but is what I have so far correct?

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

as I said earlier the project does not specify a budget but instead asks that we select the best components in terms of functionality rather than simply using the most expensive components.