4-pin CPU connector vs 8

gungan37

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I recently had a Corsair CX430 PSU fail. I have filed an RMA and damage claim for other damaged components by it and am waiting on those but I have found a Hipro 350w PSU in my equipment that only has a 4-PIN connector.

I have a Core i5 coming soon from Newegg (95w) as well as a new motherboard for it. I have heard many contradicting things about running a 95w CPU on a 4-pin CPU power connector. I have heard that the 4-pin connector can only supply 75w but have also heard that the 24 pin ATX mobo connector will make up for that. Any help here? I would love to get up and running as I am on a Dell with a Core 2 Duo now and it is killing me =)

Solution
A 95w can run just fine off a 4 port line, but if its not designed to be done that way its generally not suggested that you do it that way.

Phenom 2 x4 840 processors are 95w processors and only have 4 pin CPU power cables and they work just fine.

However, if it is designed for 8 its highly suggested that you use 8.

I can't guarantee that you won't cause hardware damage doing what you are considering.

If its really important, I would just buy the 2nd CX 430w.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Just don't do it! sounds like you want to replace more equipment. Why do people want to skimp on the most important part of a system?Buck up and purchase a good power supply! Read the reviews on power supplies on hardwaresecrets.com

I would strongly suggest that you don't do what you are thinking about.

The HiPro PSU is trash and it will blow up your stuff, especially when it doesn't even come with the connectors that you need.

The CPU power cable gives power to the CPU, I am pretty sure the motherboard cable can't and won't make up for deficiencies in this cable.

gungan37

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
OK, thanks guys! I was just talking about using the HiPro PSU until the Corsair RMA is finished. I will not use the HiPro PSU and just wait for the RAM process to finish or just buy another Corsair PSU since thay are $25 on Newegg after rebates. I also have a Dell PSU here in this Optiplex 755 that I am using, but also with the four-pin connector. Would it be ill-advised to use that one (that I am sure works) just to make sure everything POSTs OK? I would like to be able to verify the basic operation of everything so I don't end up having to RMA it (Newegg will only take stuff back for 30 days AFAIK). I am sure the POST routine and the UEFI BIOS stuff will never take the CPU usage above 75w.

A 95w can run just fine off a 4 port line, but if its not designed to be done that way its generally not suggested that you do it that way.

Phenom 2 x4 840 processors are 95w processors and only have 4 pin CPU power cables and they work just fine.

However, if it is designed for 8 its highly suggested that you use 8.

I can't guarantee that you won't cause hardware damage doing what you are considering.

If its really important, I would just buy the 2nd CX 430w.

Solution

gungan37

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
OK, thanks for your help! Both of y'all have helped me sort out the truth from all these ATX myths =). I will test to make sure she POSTs and get the new CX430 if Corsair doesn't get the RMA done soon.

Probably didn't know that the 105w Q6xxx Kentsfield was one of the chips available for your Optiplex
An I5 Quad isn't a problem for a 4 pin connector
The board may be, some boards with 8 pin headers won't post without an 8 pin connector

gungan37

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Great point! The 755 was a gift from about two months ago that I didn't use much until the CX430 went toes-up, so I have not given it much research. POSTing shouldn't be a problem either since the mobo has a plug over one set of 4 pins on the 8 pin connector --- I was only worried about wattage. Your post makes me feel much better; thanks!