Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 2400/2500 users, what is your average FPS in these games?

Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2012 12:52:59 AM

TF2, BF3, L4d2, and Crysis 2?

I'm not complaining about my FPS, however in crysis 2, fps dips below 40 sometimes, and in tf2, it can dip as low as 50. Is that normal?

This processor is completely stock speed, with intel turbo mode disabled LOL. Its coupled with a GTX 570 amp edition, and I play the game on everything high @ 1650x1200 widescreen.

Please quick answers. Even if you guys don't have this set up, does it sound about right? thank you very much for taking the time to read my problem.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 12:58:38 AM

Why disable turbo? Shouldn't be dipping that low in TF2. Try updating to the latest drivers for your GPU.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:41:52 AM

Regards to turbo mode off: Theres some hiccup issues when I turn it on. Seems to be a problem with the 2400 processors, as the processor tries to draw as less watts as it can, but with turbo enabled, its forced to draw more power, so it goes from low to high constantly, from low to high performance causing these hiccups. I was told to set my motherboard to maximum performance (more power consumption) but I actually like the EPU saving mode (I'm broke college student living with roomies, I can't afford the high eletric bill.)

Regards to TF2: It only dips to 40 in heavy gun fire fights in custom 32/32 maps. So yea i guess it's an isolated case. I also don't use mat_queue_mode 2 (this command helps with the fps) but it crashes my games sometimes. I guess the only way to fix this problem is to oc my processor or upgrade it.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 8, 2012 5:03:22 PM

yes i had the 2400 and the 3450s with the gtx660ti gigabite 3gb version and at 1600x1080 with everything on the highest with dx11 and high resolution texture pack i would get about 65fps max but i kept dipping down to 30fps, i thought it was just a slow video card. then i had the opportunity to sell both of those processors and buy a i73770. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? just plugging in the new 3770 not overclocked my fps went up to 95fps solid. never went below 85fps. thats when i knew how much more important cpu's were instead of video cards. i also have the exact same results with my wifes computer. i bought a gtx650 for her and i get 65fps and never under 40fps in bf3 at 1600x1080 with everything on ultra. but if i put the g2120 ivy bridge back in, the game wont even run, it takes an hour to load.

TURN TURBO ON!!! IT IS RECCOMENDED BY INTEL AND REQUIRED TO BE ON IF YOU OVERCLOCK.
AND MAKE SURE YOU OVERRIDE THE RAM VOLTAGE IN BIOS TO 1.5VOLTS.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 5:23:37 PM

It's because the Source Engine is very well threaded. It will use all the cores it can, thus why the i7 performed better. Try TUrbo one more time, check in the BIOS to see if your RAM timings/voltage is correct, make sure your BIOS and GPU drivers are up to date.
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:37:53 PM

damn thank you so much for that mustang! I knew it was my CPU that was the problem. The i5's are generally the budget i7, so theres really no substitute for it when it comes to more performance. Also, thank you obsama, I understand that most games don't fully utilize HT, but I think stock for stock the i7 outperforms quite a lot. Thank you guys once again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 5:40:41 PM

It's not the CPU. An i5 will be enough any game. Just don't go out there and buy an i7, lol.
m
l
October 15, 2012 8:15:53 AM

Best answer selected by jamzkang.
m
l
!